Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 PM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times

Advertisements

I have noticed so many people complaing about illegal immigration but not anyone has complained about the wet foot, dry foot policy, basically it means that if you are a Cuban and you get to this country and put a foot on dry land you can stay. You not only can stay you are welcomed with food, blankets, calls to relatives, hugs and kisses. Most of the time your relatives are waiting for your phone call to come and pick you up and often a job waiting for you.
What is the difference,what happened to equal protection under the law? Until such time as we address the differences in immigration policies we will not solve our immigration problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:54 PM

512 posts, read 1,754,573 times
The Cubans are considered to be under political protection. Because they have a tyrant as a leader, we grant them some protection when entering here. They just need to land on their own two feet.

Maybe that's why?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I always wondered how they proved they were from Cuba.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I always wondered how they proved they were from Cuba.
How many others would try to come the same way? Key West is only 90 miles away and yet do you know how many have died trying?

I think you can tell a Cuban a mile away, if not physically, definitely as soon as we open our mouths.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I have noticed so many people complaing about illegal immigration but not anyone has complained about the wet foot, dry foot policy, basically it means that if you are a Cuban and you get to this country and put a foot on dry land you can stay. You not only can stay you are welcomed with food, blankets, calls to relatives, hugs and kisses. Most of the time your relatives are waiting for your phone call to come and pick you up and often a job waiting for you.
What is the difference,what happened to equal protection under the law? Until such time as we address the differences in immigration policies we will not solve our immigration problem.

Alexander - I'm Cuban. Born there. Raised here. I empathize so much with the plight of the Cubans. The really terrible conditions on the island. The lack of all of life's basic necessities, including the freedom to even THINK - for almost 50 years. Yet, I agree with you and I believe that Castro would have been assasinated long ago if we (USA) didn't have some of these policies. I believe we either should open our doors to all or to none (that don't follow "procedure").

Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 PM

So does that mean that every country that has a tryant for a leader we should let them in? Good idea lets start with Iran, North Korea, Lybia, Venuzuala, all the countries that treat women like third class citizens. Lets face it is economics and politics plain and simple. If the people of Cuba were living well they would not be coming over the 90 miles of ocean, neither would Latinos risk the desert. My post was not nor would ever imply that I was against Cubans coming over, I know the great contributions Cubans have done for Florida, way before Castro and after. I live in a wonderful mixed neighborhood by choice and I can't tell a Cuban from a mile away, what kind of statement is that? Some of my Cuban neighbors are blonde, some black, some brown, some tall, some short, some nice some not, sounds like the rest of us.

Last edited by alexander59; 01-03-2007 at 02:31 PM..

Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
So does that mean that every country that has a tryant for a leader we should let them in? Good idea lets start with Iran, North Korea, Lybia, Venuzuala, all the countries that treat women like third class citizens. Lets face it is economics and politics plain and simple. If the people of Cuba were living well they would not be coming over the 90 miles of ocean, neither would Latinos risk the desert.
You're absolutely right. Cubans would never leave Cuba voluntarily if it was not for Castro. And the ones who are still there now, either are too young to have known anything different and/or they have family here who will do whatever it takes to send them money and medicines for survival.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:41 PM

I believe George Bush has limited the amount of money that can be sent to relatives? How does that help? No limit on the amount of money other nationalities can send home, another inequality.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I believe George Bush has limited the amount of money that can be sent to relatives? How does that help? No limit on the amount of money other nationalities can send home, another inequality.

Yes there is a limit on the amount of money you can send through legal channels. You also cannot go to Cuba to visit family more often than every 3 years. But there are ways to get around both of these issues.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
. I live in a wonderful mixed neighborhood by choice and I can't tell a Cuban from a mile away, what kind of statement is that? Some of my Cuban neighbors are blonde, some black, some brown, some tall, some short, some nice some not, sounds like the rest of us.
LOL. That was a figure of speech, but actually you can very often. I'm very white, light brown eyes, blondish hair (even when it was natural). Now it's light brown. My husband is blond/graying, blue eyes and fairer skin than I. No one can tell we're Cubans, and I don't speak Spanish like a Cuban either so I can really trick you

Oh, I'm also not built like a Cuban. You are supposed to think this is funny BTW. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration