U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 PM
 
394 posts, read 661,588 times
Reputation: 149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Deportation is extremely costly (I have read that it costs approximately $7,000-8,000 to deport a person) and has costly economic and social effects on communities when there are mass deportations. Although I am normally a person who believes that the law is made to be followed and not to be broken, I have to abandon this idea when speaking of illegal immigration because I think it is MORE costly to enforce our rigid immigration laws than to just not enforce in many cases. I just have to say that I don't care about a person's illegal status if they and their children are contributing to the community. It seems like some of you favor principle over practicality.
here we go again......you nail the sleazy employers that hire illegals and end the government handouts to illegals, then deportation becomes very cost effective because they'll SELF DEPORT! as for the "social effects", i'll just consider that a special added bonus.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 PM
 
3,369 posts, read 7,599,786 times
Reputation: 1590
OK, but what happens when entire small-town downtowns go under because all the "illegals" who revived them have been deported (or have "self-deported")? And what happens when the factories and local businesses can't find people to fill the jobs that the "illegals" have filled? Do we just let the factories and businesses sit closed? Do we just let downtowns sit and rot? I have seen too many examples of "illegals""vastly improving communities to sit back and watch this happen in the name of enforcing outmoded and non-workable law.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 PM
 
394 posts, read 661,588 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I never said that I don't care about identity theft. My solution to the problem is making it much, much easier to immigrate to this country legally in the first place; if it weren't so hard, maybe some illegal immigrants wouldn't have to turn to identity theft to falsify documents in order to obtain work. I also am against Oklahoma-style laws that make it illegal to hire or rent to an illegal immigrant. I agree with some restrictions on hiring illegal immigrants (but no BAN) and completely DISAGREE with laws banning the renting of apartments to illegal immigrants. A homeowner should be allowed to rent his dwelling to whomever he pleases, including to illegal immigrants. Where are these people supposed to live? Where are they supposed to work? Generally, illegal immigrants do NOT collect benefits like welfare; if you deny them the opportunity to work and to rent their own dwellings, they WILL start to turn to the government for "handouts," and that is a move of which I KNOW some of you people will disapprove.

Many of you say that there is a problem with illegal immigration. That's fine, I'll accept that, and I actually agree that this is a problem. However, I don't think immigration is the problem, I think the fact that many of these immigrants must come ILLEGALLY (because it is incredibly difficult, time consuming, and costly to come legally) is the problem. Solution? Make it easier to immigrate legally. If a test is so hard that it fails most everyone (and yet the people failing the test seem to be doing well in school), make the test easier. If illegal immigration laws are so hard that they prevent millions of immigrants from coming legally (but yet they are doing well for themselves in this country), make the immigration process easier. Problem solved.
make it "much easier? we let more people in this country LEGALLY THAN THE REST OF THE WORLD LETS IN COMBINED.....BY FAR! cry me a friggen river
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 PM
 
3,369 posts, read 7,599,786 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
we let more people in this country LEGALLY THAN THE REST OF THE WORLD LETS IN COMBINED.....
And yet our economy still absorbs all the illegal immigrants because there is a demand for them. Other countries have immigration laws that are even more unworkable and outmoded than ours!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,613,981 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
OK, but what happens when entire small-town downtowns go under because all the "illegals" who revived them have been deported (or have "self-deported")? And what happens when the factories and local businesses can't find people to fill the jobs that the "illegals" have filled? Do we just let the factories and businesses sit closed? Do we just let downtowns sit and rot? I have seen too many examples of "illegals""vastly improving communities to sit back and watch this happen in the name of enforcing outmoded and non-workable law.
I will take my chances.

The cold reality is that the illegal immigrants have worn out their welcome and need to bug out of the USA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,613,981 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
And yet our economy still absorbs all the illegal immigrants because there is a demand for them. Other countries have immigration laws that are even more unworkable and outmoded than ours!
Simple.

Because the illegals will work for less $$$ than US citizens/green card holders-------and will likely take jobs under dangerous conditions that one of us would (rightfully) refuse. I am referring to flagrant OSHA violations, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 PM
 
394 posts, read 661,588 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You insult the quality of your own education when you suggest to dumb down curriculum to suit the lowest common denominator. You are also suggesting to the same with the law, a rather unusual suggestion from a future lawyer -- unless you plan on defending mafiosa types?

At anyrate, do you refute the basic sovereignity of the United States? Do you propose we become a nation without borders? No doubt this would have little to no effect on you in your chosen profession as a lawyer, but you do realize that you would be dooming the blue collar worker into unemployment? They are unable and yes unwilling to work for subpar wages that illegals are willing to take. As is so often the case others will pay the price for those locked in their ivory towers feel good politics.
i'm sure he/she knows what her ideas would do to the blue collar worker, but could care less. it's called hypocrisy
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:12 PM
 
394 posts, read 661,588 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
OK, but what happens when entire small-town downtowns go under because all the "illegals" who revived them have been deported (or have "self-deported")? And what happens when the factories and local businesses can't find people to fill the jobs that the "illegals" have filled? Do we just let the factories and businesses sit closed? Do we just let downtowns sit and rot? I have seen too many examples of "illegals""vastly improving communities to sit back and watch this happen in the name of enforcing outmoded and non-workable law.
seems to me this country did just fine for about two hundred years before our corrupt government allowed us to be overrun with illegals
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 PM
 
3,369 posts, read 7,599,786 times
Reputation: 1590
When my Mediterranean ancestors arrived to this country, they had no papers. When my Norwegian great-grandmother arrived around 1900, she didn't have papers either. The difference between them and "illegal" immigrants in 2008? My ancestors arrived and were considered "legal" because immigration law accepted pretty much any able-bodied immigrant from Europe. What exactly did the Germans, Irish, Italians, Spanish, and Portuguese do right that modern-day illegal immigrants are doing wrong? The similarities are striking.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
 
3,369 posts, read 7,599,786 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
i'm sure he/she knows what her ideas would do to the blue collar worker, but could care less. it's called hypocrisy
The cold reality and is there are plenty of jobs that an able-bodied immigrant could do just as well as an American citizen. However, there are plenty of blue collar jobs that require English fluency where American-citizen blue collar workers will face much less competition from immigrants. I'm not being a hypocrite about anything. Why is it that unemployment rates throughout the 90's/00's have been much lower than in the 70's/80's when a much lower rate of illegal immigration was taking place? I just don't hear much about American citizens becoming unemployed due to illegal immigrants; the numbers really don't support that argument.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top