Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,507,691 times

Advertisements

Macmeal, OldTex and Camping! have hit the nail on the head. I can't rep macmeal and Camping, but I did rep OldTex. Kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM

220 posts, read 380,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar;
Macmeal, OldTex and Camping! have hit the nail on the head. I can't rep macmeal and Camping, but I did rep OldTex. Kudos!
Thank you for the kudos Benicar!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:19 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,640,036 times
Macmeal: I support amnesty and a path to legal residency/citizenship for everyone who is in the United States illegally UNTIL newer, looser, and more user-friendly immigration standards are put into place. Once we allow for the amount of legal immigration which the economy demands (right now we only allow legal immigration to satisfy a small percentage of the demand we have for workers; thus illegal immigrants come and satisfy the leftover demand), we then start to enforce those new regulations. Right now, the system is so broken that I think it should be discarded completely. As for the legal versus illegal distinction, my point is that once immigration laws are loosened and it is actually feasable for most immigrants to come legally, there will be MUCH, MUCH less of a "legal versus illegal" problem. Thus, LEGAL immigrants would be applying to the same jobs to which born and raised Americans would be applying, and I see nothing wrong with that. I am internationally-minded, not a protectionist.

OldTex: quite frankly, yes, I would be willing to go against principle on this issue because immigrants (no matter legal or illegal) are good for the economy and good for this country in general.

Camping: yes, I am serious. Don't insult my education; I graduated in the very top of my HS class, magna *** laude at a prestigious liberal arts university, and am now studying at a prestigious law school. My ideas have little to do with my education, so don't insult it. I already responded to the "identity theft" argument in another post of mine. To summarize, I agree that identity theft is a crime that matters and that much less of it would occur if immigrating to this country legally weren't so difficult, time-consuming, and expensive. And yes, if a test is so hard that most people are failing it (yet these people do very well in school, despite what the results of that test may say), make the test easier. Because legal immigration is simply too hard, make it easier too!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:23 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,242,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting that NOBODY on this thread has made the SLIGHTEST suggestion that this might be an example of "anti-Semitism"....remarkable (at least, I never saw such an alegation). Some day, this SAME story may also be seen NOT to be "anti-" anybody, except "anti-the presence of illegal workers".

I can't really read you, are you suggesting this raid was anti-semetic or that there might be people out there who think this was anti-semetic?

Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Macmeal: I support amnesty and a path to legal residency/citizenship for everyone who is in the United States illegally UNTIL newer, looser, and more user-friendly immigration standards are put into place. Once we allow for the amount of legal immigration which the economy demands (right now we only allow legal immigration to satisfy a small percentage of the demand we have for workers; thus illegal immigrants come and satisfy the leftover demand), we then start to enforce those new regulations. Right now, the system is so broken that I think it should be discarded completely. As for the legal versus illegal distinction, my point is that once immigration laws are loosened and it is actually feasable for most immigrants to come legally, there will be MUCH, MUCH less of a "legal versus illegal" problem. Thus, LEGAL immigrants would be applying to the same jobs to which born and raised Americans would be applying, and I see nothing wrong with that. I am internationally-minded, not a protectionist.

OldTex: quite frankly, yes, I would be willing to go against principle on this issue because immigrants (no matter legal or illegal) are good for the economy and good for this country in general.

Camping: yes, I am serious. Don't insult my education; I graduated in the very top of my HS class, magna *** laude at a prestigious liberal arts university, and am now studying at a prestigious law school. My ideas have little to do with my education, so don't insult it. I already responded to the "identity theft" argument in another post of mine. To summarize, I agree that identity theft is a crime that matters and that much less of it would occur if immigrating to this country legally weren't so difficult, time-consuming, and expensive. And yes, if a test is so hard that most people are failing it (yet these people do very well in school, despite what the results of that test may say), make the test easier. Because legal immigration is simply too hard, make it easier too!
Being an “educated” person, I am sure you realize there is a HUGE difference between education or book smarts and common sense. I am also educated, and I also graduated in the top of my high school class, as well as graduated (with honors) from a graduate program from one of the most prestigious universities in the country. That being said; all of this means absolutely zilch without “common sense.”

I once had a friend; also highly-educated, who gave her sick infant adults Formula 44 cough medicine. If I had to choose between being “educated” and having common sense, I’d vote for common sense any day of the week.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,605,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post

You insult the quality of your own education when you suggest to dumb down curriculum to suit the lowest common denominator. You are also suggesting to the same with the law, a rather unusual suggestion from a future lawyer -- unless you plan on defending mafiosa types?

At anyrate, do you refute the basic sovereignity of the United States? Do you propose we become a nation without borders? No doubt this would have little to no effect on you in your chosen profession as a lawyer, but you do realize that you would be dooming the blue collar worker into unemployment? They are unable and yes unwilling to work for subpar wages that illegals are willing to take. As is so often the case others will pay the price for those locked in their ivory towers feel good politics.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,517,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I can't really read you, are you suggesting this raid was anti-semetic or that there might be people out there who think this was anti-semetic?
Not at all...I'm just surprised SOMEBODY else hasn't said this. I'm suggesting that, as the Postville operation was an effort by Lubavitcher Jews, that had they been a more 'thin skinned' group, it would be easy to blame any 'attack' on them (as in hassling their illegal help) as 'attacking them as people' (i.e., anti-Semitism)...I'm not suggesting this at ALL, I'm just surprised SOMEBODY hasn't come up with this. There are certainly many more 'nutty' allegations made all the time...many of them ending up as ACLU lawsuits...

After all, speaking out against illegal immigration is frequently blamed on having an "anti-Hispanic" position....and speaking out against suicide bombers is FREQUENTLY blamed on having an "anti-Islamic" bias....

Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,022,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Being an “educated” person, I am sure you realize there is a HUGE difference between education or book smarts and common sense. I am also educated, and I also graduated in the top of my high school class, as well as graduated (with honors) from a graduate program from one of the most prestigious universities in the country. That being said; all of this means absolutely zilch without “common sense.”

I once had a friend; also highly-educated, who gave her sick infant adults Formula 44 cough medicine. If I had to choose between being “educated” and having common sense, I’d vote for common sense any day of the week.
Indubitably

Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 PM

Being anti-immigrant or anti-"illegal" isn't common sense. It's an opinion/position, and plenty of people agree with the opinions that I have. I could just as easily say that it's common sense that we need immigrants and that our government is at fault for not fixing a broken immigration system in which far fewer immigrants are allowed legal entry into this country than needed by the economy. If anything, it's common sense to provide for people who live in our communities, who work in our stores and whose children attend our schools and will become future productive members of our society.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You insult the quality of your own education when you suggest to dumb down curriculum to suit the lowest common denominator. You are also suggesting to the same with the law, a rather unusual suggestion from a future lawyer -- unless you plan on defending mafiosa types?

At anyrate, do you refute the basic sovereignity of the United States? Do you propose we become a nation without borders? No doubt this would have little to no effect on you in your chosen profession as a lawyer, but you do realize that you would be dooming the blue collar worker into unemployment? They are unable and yes unwilling to work for subpar wages that illegals are willing to take. As is so often the case others will pay the price for those locked in their ivory towers feel good politics.
When the law is broken, fix it. I don't think we need to "dumb down" anything because that implies that the system is "smart" and "works" as it is. In my opinion, it doesn't work, and thus it needs to be fixed. Before you suggest that I am viewing the world from an ivory tower, please realize that I have grown up around many immigrants (and seen their struggles) and I have volunteered in English literacy programs aimed at teaching Mexican/Central American immigrants language and social skills - I have talked to these people about WHY they chose to come to the US illegally instead of legally, done research myself, and have come to the conclusion that the system is broken and needs to be fixed. I'm not just parrotting liberal ideas taught by academics locked in ivory towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration