U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Denver
8,059 posts, read 9,839,876 times
Reputation: 3919
Default The Latinos of Postville, IA (Largest Raid on Illegals)

This is interesting because the locals actually respected the illegals, the factory was closed down, not making any money until the illegals showed up. Why would they raid this town and not one in California, Texas, Arizona or Florida? It makes no sense to target a small town that will actually be hurt by illegals leaving.

This is a video of a town where illegals were embraced by the locals in Iowa.

Quote:
In a tiny corner of America's heartland, the front line of the US government's war on illegal immigrants seems very far away

YouTube - The Latinos of Postville


Here is a woman's testimony about the Postville Plant, she said Latin women were forced to wear armbands to tell who they were.


YouTube]YouTube - Illegal Immigrants taken in Postville IA May 12 2008 - Illegal Immigrants taken in Postville IA May 12 2008

Latino community still under siege in Postville

Quote:
I don't trust (ICE). They say they've stopped but in the days after the raid in Postville, Latinos are reporting that they are being stopped on the street and taken to detention facilities," said Gustafson. "It's so bad that local businesses are reporting that their Latino workforce is not showing up for work and they want us to put out a statement saying that it's alright now, but we can't because we don't know for sure.
Update: Latino community still under siege in Postville and Waterloo, Iowa (Latina Lista) (http://www.latinalista.net/palabrafinal/2008/05/update_latino_community_still_under_sieg.html - broken link)

Why so much money and time spent in a small town in Iowa?

Honestly these illegals look like they were just working, why would they be targets of the largest raid?

Last edited by Mach50; 05-22-2008 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
 
3,369 posts, read 7,429,632 times
Reputation: 1577
Everyone should watch "The Latinos of Postville" video. It speaks a lot to how many small towns in the South (and in Postville's case, the Midwest) need Latin American immigrants to keep towns alive and stimulate the economy. In my experience, Latin American immigrants are hardworking, law-abiding, and possess the same Christian family values that blue-blooded "Americans" claim to possess. However, the last time I checked, "love thy neighbor" was one of those values, and many Americans seem to forget this when they spew hatred toward Latin American immigrants due to that they are "illegal." Thank you for posting that video; it is a side of the story that is all-too-often buried under stories about how a very small percentage of illegal immigrants are up to no good. It's unfortunate that the bad is allowed to overshadow the good that these people bring to our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 AM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 4,880,468 times
Reputation: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is interesting because the locals actually respected the illegals, the factory was closed down, not making any money until the illegals showed up. Why would they raid this town and not one in California, Texas, Arizona or Florida?


I can see how you got that impression from certain media reports, but I believe that most of the reporting of this incident, especially from a couple local media outlets (Des Moines Register and Cedar Rapids Gazette) were EXTREMELY biased and sympathetic towards the illegals. For a good week after the raid they were putting in sob-story interviews and photographs of protestors holding signs and flags of various nations (including our own).

I also thought it was a little strange that the newspapers made very little mention of the $5-$6 an hour they were paying illegals, safety violations and knowingly (and excessively) breaking the law by hiring them in the first place. The first articles that came out mentioned some of these things and then it stopped. I wonder who pulled some strings for that one? I think the guys who own the slaughterhouse are the real criminals.

I'd advise you to read the book "Postville: A Clash of Culture's in America's Heartland" (or something to that effect) by Stephen Bloom for an insight on the Postville situation.

Anyways, I don't think the situation is quite as you describe, where the locals are all glad that all these illegals were in town doing so much good for the town. It is true that the slaughterhouse was closed, but I wonder how many locals were working for this place when they managed to nab about 700 workers who were illegal? There were also some legal immigrants there as well. As far as stimulating the local economy, how much stimulating can a bunch of people making less than mininum wage do? Plus the immigrants are going to be more likely to spend their money at the Latino businesses in town.

If anything, I think the locals feel that they've lost their town, especially since they didn't ask for this. It was Lubavitcher Jews from New York City who came in, bought the slaughterhouse and then brought all the illegals into the town. You have three seperate and distinct communities within Postville and there's not really much interaction outside of that.

I would imagine that if you polled the locals, the majority of them would want to see the Jews go back to NYC and the illegals go back to whereever they came from and have their town back the way they remembered it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,046,782 times
Reputation: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Everyone should watch "The Latinos of Postville" video. It speaks a lot to how many small towns in the South (and in Postville's case, the Midwest) need Latin American immigrants to keep towns alive and stimulate the economy. In my experience, Latin American immigrants are hardworking, law-abiding, and possess the same Christian family values that blue-blooded "Americans" claim to possess. However, the last time I checked, "love thy neighbor" was one of those values, and many Americans seem to forget this when they spew hatred toward Latin American immigrants due to that they are "illegal." Thank you for posting that video; it is a side of the story that is all-too-often buried under stories about how a very small percentage of illegal immigrants are up to no good. It's unfortunate that the bad is allowed to overshadow the good that these people bring to our country.
Legal immigrants are good.

Illegal immigrants are lawbreakers and most of 'em are out and out criminals when factoring in identity theft, etc.

There is a difference between the two groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 AM
 
2,901 posts, read 1,679,938 times
Reputation: 1215
They were needed...for an illegal profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,473,620 times
Reputation: 2947
I actually have a copy of the "Postville" book El Rhino mentioned. A fascinating story, written by a Jewish university professor in Iowa who became interested in the Postville situation, and wrote about it both from a "local Iowan" and a Jewish point of view.

Basically, the Lubavitcher Jews (straight from Brooklyn, NY) came into town, bought the defunct business, and started it back up. I believe it became the largest Kosher operation in the US (?).

Meanwhile, the social fallout was interesting. Much of the early staffing was done by bringing in Jewish managers, rabbis (for the "kosher" requirements), etc. Already there was a certain amout of friction due to VERY different cultures in a notably non-diverse corner of America. Much of this "clash" was good-natured, but it DID cause some misunderstandings.

As I recall, some locals benefitted and some were employed, though few were interested in "line jobs" in the slaughterhouse itself. Soon, the Lubavitchers recruited help from the
illegal Jewish community back in New York, bringing them to Iowa and 'setting them up' in housing. Many were recently-arrived Ukrainians, as I recall, and a great many of these "newcomers", even the management, had never driven a car before. They proceeded to learn by driving on the streets (and the sidewalks) of Postville, much to the amusement and concern of the 'natives'.

I lost track of the story, and I'm not sure when, or if, any Latino illegals ever got involved (though this makes sense). Slaughterhouse work is certainly an unpleasant and disagreeable occupation, and it's easy to see why it wouldn't appeal to anyone who didn't HAVE to take it.

The book IS an interesting read...fair amount of photos, and an even-handed treatment of a controversial situation between a rather exotic Jewish sect, and stereotypical "heartland" Midwesterners, by an author who felt he was a part of, and could speak for, BOTH communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 11,202,814 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I actually have a copy of the "Postville" book El Rhino mentioned. A fascinating story, written by a Jewish university professor in Iowa who became interested in the Postville situation, and wrote about it both from a "local Iowan" and a Jewish point of view.

Basically, the Lubavitcher Jews (straight from Brooklyn, NY) came into town, bought the defunct business, and started it back up. I believe it became the largest Kosher operation in the US (?).

Meanwhile, the social fallout was interesting. Much of the early staffing was done by bringing in Jewish managers, rabbis (for the "kosher" requirements), etc. Already there was a certain amout of friction due to VERY different cultures in a notably non-diverse corner of America. Much of this "clash" was good-natured, but it DID cause some misunderstandings.

As I recall, some locals benefitted and some were employed, though few were interested in "line jobs" in the slaughterhouse itself. Soon, the Lubavitchers recruited help from the
illegal Jewish community back in New York, bringing them to Iowa and 'setting them up' in housing. Many were recently-arrived Ukrainians, as I recall, and a great many of these "newcomers", even the management, had never driven a car before. They proceeded to learn by driving on the streets (and the sidewalks) of Postville, much to the amusement and concern of the 'natives'.

I lost track of the story, and I'm not sure when, or if, any Latino illegals ever got involved (though this makes sense). Slaughterhouse work is certainly an unpleasant and disagreeable occupation, and it's easy to see why it wouldn't appeal to anyone who didn't HAVE to take it.

The book IS an interesting read...fair amount of photos, and an even-handed treatment of a controversial situation between a rather exotic Jewish sect, and stereotypical "heartland" Midwesterners, by an author who felt he was a part of, and could speak for, BOTH communities.
But, as I recall, towards the end of the book, Bloom had a falling out with Lubavitcher community. The Lubavitchers basicaly branded him a traitor to his own religion and were instructed not to speak with him any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,046,782 times
Reputation: 3654
Legal Anglos vs. illegal Anglos.

As I have inferred in the past:

Better a legal Hispanic than any illegal Anglo in my country

And; I am Nordic White and proud of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,473,620 times
Reputation: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
But, as I recall, towards the end of the book, Bloom had a falling out with Lubavitcher community. The Lubavitchers basicaly branded him a traitor to his own religion and were instructed not to speak with him any more.
I seem to recall that he did find their attitude unneccessarily 'abrasive' and did feel that the 'locals' had every right to feel offended. It's been a while since I opened the book...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
 
8,187 posts, read 7,739,273 times
Reputation: 2836
I don't have time to google it, but I recall a kosher processing plant in Iowa recently getting into trouble for unnecessarily abusing the animals at the plant. Perhaps the raid is in relation to those allegations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top