U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:29 PM

24 posts, read 83,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
No child should be deprived of public education. I don't care if a child wades across the Rio Grande and shows up to a school five minutes later; the Supreme Court has suggested that free, public education is a pseudo-fundamental right and that it cannot be withheld from anyone, regardless of their immigration status. On another note, illegal immigrant parents pay taxes too, you know.

Wow just wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 04:57 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,657,730 times
Quote:
Also, Mexican students didn't necessarily stand out, since 95 percent of Calexico residents are Latino.
You call 95% diversity.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Quote:
No child should be deprived of public education. I don't care if a child wades across the Rio Grande and shows up to a school five minutes later; the Supreme Court has suggested that free, public education is a pseudo-fundamental right and that it cannot be withheld from anyone, regardless of their immigration status. On another note, illegal immigrant parents pay taxes too, you know.

These children do not even reside in the US, nor do their parents pay taxes.
Do they still deserve an education paid by US taxpayers?

You do realize that the well is running dry, don't you? The dollar is in the toilet, we are in massive debt to the Chinese and other bankers throughout the world......where does the US government get the money to magically educate non citizens much less non residents?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:06 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In other words; ANY child from ANY country should be permitted to attend OUR schools, and WE should pay for it.
Think again.

Unless a child is either a US citizen, legal immigrant or possibly a political refugee-------we are not obliged to educate anybody.

And; if/when the Anchor Baby loophole is closed/locked------it will be none too soon.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:59 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
America, our education system is getting to be more and more of a joke every day. We can't even educate ourselves let alone children who have no business in the US. We need to enforce our laws and get as many illegals out of our public schools as possible. It is time to remove one the biggest magnets for illegals, free no questions-asked education.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 PM

394 posts, read 896,205 times
Quote:
this is perfect example of why all extreme liberals should have to pay higher taxes

Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
I'm not an extreme liberal, I am a moderate liberal who thinks the economic and social consequences of deporting "illegals" are greater than the costs we have to bear when we accept "illegals" into our society. In other words, I think that in 2008, immigrants - whether legal or illegal - are good for this country and that we would be running ourselves into the ground by trying to enforce outmouded and extremely unaccomodating immigration laws. Are you people really serious that it shouldn't be our responsibility to educate the children of illegal immigrants who are here by no fault of their own? I most certainly think that any first world country has the responsibility of doing so. If we turn away children from out schools, we create social problems in the future with which we will eventually have to deal - and on which we will have to spend the money eventually - TENFOLD.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,015,968 times
Quote:
Yes. This is a first world country and we have the responsibility of educating our citizens AND our future citizens, including children of illegals who were brought here by their parents at no fault of their own.
WOW, just WOW is all I can say about this.
If I said what I really thought Im quiet sure I would be reported for personal attack.
So Wow just WOW

Old 05-23-2008, 11:33 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,123,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is possible thanks to our law requiring ALL children to receive K-12 education, regardless of immigration status.
However if you enforce the residency requirement, that skirts around the "immigration status" checks limitation. If you're not a resident of the school district then you shouldnt be going to that school without prior approval. As far as I know, school district boundaries do not extend beyond the US border. So people crossing the border do not reside within a school district and should not be allowed to go to that school.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
However if you enforce the residency requirement, that skirts around the "immigration status" checks limitation. If you're not a resident of the school district then you shouldnt be going to that school without prior approval. As far as I know, school district boundaries do not extend beyond the US border. So people crossing the border do not reside within a school district and should not be allowed to go to that school.
How true! This is precisely why this practice is so outrageous. I canít understand the rationale behind those endorsing this abuse of U.S. taxpayers. Regardless of oneís stance on illegal immigration; this is simply wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or