U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Yes. This is a first world country and we have the responsibility of educating our citizens AND our future citizens, including children of illegals who were brought here by their parents at no fault of their own.
PLUS we're all really immigrants ANYWAY, lots of us are pretty selfish, and giving away a public education to someone who may not get it otherwise is just a plain NICE GESTURE. It's the LEAST we can do.

Besides, most AMERICAN kids just throw erasers, play "graba$$", smart off to their teachers, and don't do their homework ANYWAY...so what's the big deal?
And LOTS of us drive SUV's too......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:50 PM

29,921 posts, read 34,526,470 times
You can tell Crisp does not live in a border state. Illegals are bankrupting our schools which cause my property taxes to be increased but we also have to provide free health care at a tremendous cost.

It's a burden we can't afford. Send em home to their native countries.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You can tell Crisp does not live in a border state. Illegals are bankrupting our schools which cause my property taxes to be increased but we also have to provide free health care at a tremendous cost.
My impression is that Crisp is well aware of these points, has given it much thought, and has decided she's "willing to put up with" the few minor inconveniences you've listed....because it's "worth it"...

Remember, if we hadn't granted several large amnesties in the past to those who were THEN in the country illegaly, we wouldn't be enjoying the current overwhelming feeling of gratitude now being directed our way. They MIGHT have gotten resentful....

Old 05-24-2008, 09:43 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Taxpayer Money Used to Educate Mexican Nationals-

Over four million spent in Roma alone

Old 05-24-2008, 10:02 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Taxpayer Money Used to Educate Mexican Nationals-

Over four million spent in Roma alone
Talk about an eerie irony: the Roma (Gypsies) over in especially Eastern Europe are also Mestizo------many of 'em can pass for stereotypical Latino.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:57 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
My impression is that Crisp is well aware of these points, has given it much thought, and has decided she's "willing to put up with" the few minor inconveniences you've listed....because it's "worth it"...

Remember, if we hadn't granted several large amnesties in the past to those who were THEN in the country illegaly, we wouldn't be enjoying the current overwhelming feeling of gratitude now being directed our way. They MIGHT have gotten resentful....
I would prefer to use my tax money to pay for the education of legal residents first........

Now Mac.........if I had ever heard any of my three were playing grabass in school wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll............ ..........It had better have been coupled with.but the teacher solved it really quick.......................
Contrary to popular view.............not all kids are coming out of the school system as droolers and loosers...................my three all have equal amounts of college degrees among them selves and are now productive citizens.....................how many more of you can say you or your kids also did fine with a public ed.................Im sure a bunch huh????????

Old 05-25-2008, 08:02 AM

8,000 posts, read 16,804,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In other words; ANY child from ANY country should be permitted to attend OUR schools, and WE should pay for it.
Of course we should, and we should also immediately pay for interpreters to sit with the kid all day because god forbid they ever learn English.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:07 AM

539 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Yes. This is a first world country and we have the responsibility of educating our citizens AND our future citizens, including children of illegals who were brought here by their parents at no fault of their own.
No. You are only half right. We have the responsibility of educating our citizens not our future citizens. Besides, how on earth can one ascertain who is going to become a "future citizen". That is ludicrous

Old 05-25-2008, 08:27 AM

539 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
I'm not an extreme liberal, I am a moderate liberal who thinks the economic and social consequences of deporting "illegals" are greater than the costs we have to bear when we accept "illegals" into our society. In other words, I think that in 2008, immigrants - whether legal or illegal - are good for this country and that we would be running ourselves into the ground by trying to enforce outmouded and extremely unaccomodating immigration laws. Are you people really serious that it shouldn't be our responsibility to educate the children of illegal immigrants who are here by no fault of their own? I most certainly think that any first world country has the responsibility of doing so. If we turn away children from out schools, we create social problems in the future with which we will eventually have to deal - and on which we will have to spend the money eventually - TENFOLD.
We can't even properly educate the children who are citizens! Do you realize how many public schools are without the basic necessities needed to teach? There are too many teachers who are digging into their own pockets to supply children with the basics such as pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. There are too many schools where the children have to share their textbooks because there just aren't enough to go around. Not to mention that many of these textbooks are decades old and thread bare!

There are an enormous amount of teachers who are teaching off "carts" as they move from room to room because there just aren't enough rooms in the school for the amount of kids that there are. The schools are bursting at the seams! Portables were once a temporary set up until a new school or addition could be built. Those days are gone! There isn't enough money in the education budget. Portables have become a mainstay.

Art, chorus, band, sports, foreing language. Hah! Those are things of the past. Classes that were once there to enrich our students are now a rare privilege. Students can't even communicate with the illegals because budget cuts won't allow for the teaching of these languages. How is that for irony!

School counselors? They are not in many budgets. Schools are now forced to share one counselor. So what is a troubled child to do?

There are numerous children whose only meals during the day are the ones they receive at school, thanks to the school lunch programs. As the budget gets smaller we may see such programs eliminated as well. How will you sleep at night knowing that these children will starve as the food once provided for them has been taken away to pay for illegals in the school system!

I'm not talking about the inner cities here, although they are a mess, I'm speaking in reference to the 'burbs as well. You had better pull your head out of the clouds and realize that we don't have the basic essentials to teach and provide for the kids who are citizens. The kids whose parents are tax payers. Our schools can NOT handle the illegal immigrants as well. It is about time that we start to worry about the education of our LEGAL students in our country.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I would prefer to use my tax money to pay for the education of legal residents first........

Now Mac.........if I had ever heard any of my three were playing grabass in school wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll............ ..........It had better have been coupled with.but the teacher solved it really quick.......................
Contrary to popular view.............not all kids are coming out of the school system as droolers and loosers...................my three all have equal amounts of college degrees among them selves and are now productive citizens.....................how many more of you can say you or your kids also did fine with a public ed.................Im sure a bunch huh????????
Forgive me...sometimes the 'sarcastic gene' takes over....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or