Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The US LEGALLY admits close to 2 million people a year to our nation, more than ALL OTHER nations of the world COMBINED!!! Crisp444 seems to think that isn't enough, so he has no problem with looking the other way as 5 million or more come EVERY YEAR illegally.

My question is simple...

How many is enough????
I don't know. I'm not an economist; all I know is that the economy seems to be absorbing immigration (both legal and illegal) at its current rate.

I have read that legal immigration is at about 1,000,000 per year and that illegal immigration is somewhere between 700,000 and 1,500,000 per year. With those numbers, it seems that the 1,000,000 would have to be doubled to 2,000,000 to satisfy demand for immigrants. Five million illegal immigrants per year is a gross exaggeration based on everything I've ever read; I have heard that 1,500,000 is a very liberal estimate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,340,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
That's ironic to hear that I don't have experience with "illegals." I am from South Florida, one of the regions to which many of you love to refer when giving examples of "illegal immigration gone mad." Second, I volunteered my time for three years while teaching ENGLISH LITERACY to immigrant adults (most of them illegal!) in Boston, MA. Third, I now live in New York, to which many of you so kindly refer as a "sanctuary city (for illegal immigrants)". I may not be from El Paso, TX or Los Angeles, CA, but to suggest that I don't have experience interacting with "illegals" is pretty absurd. I doubt that most of you on this forum have interacted with these immigrants as much as I have. I'm not just some clueless dingbat with a keyboard; I do think before I speak.
Opposite affect.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,949,573 times
I work with the blind, elderly and disabled, so we're both good-hearted people. I lived in Miami too. Now, you've posted a lot of facts about immigrants, how they are being absorbed, etc. You've said you don't have time to post a thesis--I'm not looking for that. I just want to read what you say you've read--maybe it will change my mind. I've done a lot of research and can't find anything like that. I've even searched many liberal articles, and all I can see is how hard the people worked to get here and/or how this is their country, too, how their influx will create more seats for California Senators, etc. Are you able to post some of the articles you talk about?

Quote:
That's ironic to hear that I don't have experience with "illegals." I am from South Florida, one of the regions to which many of you love to refer when giving examples of "illegal immigration gone mad." Second, I volunteered my time for three years while teaching ENGLISH LITERACY to immigrant adults (most of them illegal!) in Boston, MA. Third, I now live in New York, to which many of you so kindly refer as a "sanctuary city (for illegal immigrants)". I may not be from El Paso, TX or Los Angeles, CA, but to suggest that I don't have experience interacting with "illegals" is pretty absurd. I doubt that most of you on this forum have interacted with these immigrants as much as I have. I'm not just some clueless dingbat with a keyboard; I do think before I speak.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:07 PM

539 posts, read 2,094,340 times
Quote:
I don't know. I'm not an economist; all I know is that the economy seems to be absorbing immigration (both legal and illegal) at its current rate.
You're funny..... Oh, were you being serious?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I work with the blind, elderly and disabled, so we're both good-hearted people. I lived in Miami too. Now, you've posted a lot of facts about immigrants, how they are being absorbed, etc. You've said you don't have time to post a thesis--I'm not looking for that. I just want to read what you say you've read--maybe it will change my mind. I've done a lot of research and can't find anything like that. I've even searched many liberal articles, and all I can see is how hard the people worked to get here and/or how this is their country, too, how their influx will create more seats for California Senators, etc. Are you able to post some of the articles you talk about?
I'll have to try to search for some of the stuff that I mentioned... the problem is that I read lots of these studies/articles either in conjunction with my university studies 2-3 years ago or I read them online and don't have them archived. I'll look through my long list of internet favorites and see if I've saved any links to this topic.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,340,468 times
This will be interesting.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,096,138 times
Quote:
Illegal immigrants are well aware of the free education perks and admit they are a big incentive to enter the country illegally.
A family of illegal immigrants living in Irving says it has greatly benefited from the U.S. taxpayer-financed free education, which makes living in the country illegally worth the risk. The 35-year-old mother took free English classes offered by Irving schools so that parents can help their children with homework and her children speak English fluently thanks to their free topnotch U.S. education.
If the family gets deported, the illegal immigrant mother said, they could use their new language in the tourist industry in Mexico. Otherwise, they have no plans to return to Mexico
Illegal Immigrants Cause Public School Crisis | Judicial Watch

Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
It's obvious to me that you're buying all the government doublespeak about unemployment rates, economic output, etc. You might want to doublecheck the junk they're feeding you against the PREVIOUS methods used to calculate those things. You'll find that unemployment is closer to 10% than 5, and you'll find that while our currency is circling the bowl our trade balance runs negative by hundreds of BILLIONS. Congratulations on living a life where reality doesn't effect you.

Quote:
I have read that legal immigration is at about 1,000,000 per year and that illegal immigration is somewhere between 700,000 and 1,500,000 per year. With those numbers, it seems that the 1,000,000 would have to be doubled to 2,000,000 to satisfy demand for immigrants. Five million illegal immigrants per year is a gross exaggeration based on everything I've ever read; I have heard that 1,500,000 is a very liberal estimate!
Your 1 million figure for legal immigration doesn't take notice of all the H1b's, L1's, H2's or any of the panoply of work visas that are handed out like candy each and every year.

As for illegal immigration, the US Border Patrol estimates for the last 6 years run right around 4-5 million per year. They catch a million or so and figure for every one they catch, 4 or 5 get through them.

You really should get out more often...

Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Get out to where?!? I live in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan, am from Miami (and visit a few times per year). I'm a pretty well-traveled person as well, and have lived/studied in Spain (where there's not only a problem with Eastern European and Arab "illegals" but with - (gasp!) Subsaharan African "illegals" as well). It's not like I just sit in my little Iowa/Montana/Georgia town and base all my comments on how I perceive the Mexicans that work in the factory down the street. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and not only to I try to keep informed about current events/laws passed regarding immigration, I also have talked to "illegals" about their situation in the United States, Spain, and Italy.

Though your comments about the employment rate may be true, I am not an economist and read/watch CNN and other mainstream news outlets (NYTimes, occasionally read the Economist) to find out information like that. If they're lying or hiding the true numbers from me, I really can't be expected to "know" the numbers to which you're referring. And even if you're "englightened," I highly doubt that many other forumers here are as well.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Get out to where?!? I live in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan, am from Miami (and visit a few times per year). I'm a pretty well-traveled person as well, and have lived/studied in Spain (where there's not only a problem with Eastern European and Arab "illegals" but with - (gasp!) Subsaharan African "illegals" as well). It's not like I just sit in my little Iowa/Montana/Georgia town and base all my comments on how I perceive the Mexicans that work in the factory down the street. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and not only to I try to keep informed about current events/laws passed regarding immigration, I also have talked to "illegals" about their situation in the United States, Spain, and Italy.

Though your comments about the employment rate may be true, I am not an economist and read/watch CNN and other mainstream news outlets (NYTimes, occasionally read the Economist) to find out information like that. If they're lying or hiding the true numbers from me, I really can't be expected to "know" the numbers to which you're referring. And even if you're "englightened," I highly doubt that many other forumers here are as well.
And the irony is that Spain is not hospitable to most New World Hispanics either------several Mexicans who hailed from Mexico flat told me that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration