U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,279,932 times

Advertisements

It depends on their race. There is minor to substantial racism against indigenous-origin Latin Americans in Spain and pretty substantial racism against African-origin Latin Americans there as well. However, this pales in comparison to how people perceive Subsaharan Africans. Spain is really just getting used to non-European immigrants as of the year 2000. Besides (largely) white Latin Americans who have been living and working in Spain's large cities for a very long time, Spain hasn't experienced massive immigration from ANYWHERE outside of Europe until very recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Get out to where?!? I live in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan, am from Miami (and visit a few times per year). I'm a pretty well-traveled person as well, and have lived/studied in Spain (where there's not only a problem with Eastern European and Arab "illegals" but with - (gasp!) Subsaharan African "illegals" as well). It's not like I just sit in my little Iowa/Montana/Georgia town and base all my comments on how I perceive the Mexicans that work in the factory down the street. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and not only to I try to keep informed about current events/laws passed regarding immigration, I also have talked to "illegals" about their situation in the United States, Spain, and Italy.

Though your comments about the employment rate may be true, I am not an economist and read/watch CNN and other mainstream news outlets (NYTimes, occasionally read the Economist) to find out information like that. If they're lying or hiding the true numbers from me, I really can't be expected to "know" the numbers to which you're referring. And even if you're "englightened," I highly doubt that many other forumers here are as well.
Get out to where?? Why, the REAL world, of course. The one that requires the independent verification of the truth, without the blinders of government disinformation to comfort you. You seem like an intelligent person, why don't you KNOW what lies you're being told? I'd be willing to bet that if you worked with your HANDS you'd be sounding a helluva lot like me, but since it really doesn't affect you, you're content to swallow the government LOAD.

And all the sheeple said, "BAA-AAH-AAH-AAH!!!"

Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,213,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Get out to where?? Why, the REAL world, of course. The one that requires the independent verification of the truth, without the blinders of government disinformation to comfort you. You seem like an intelligent person, why don't you KNOW what lies you're being told? I'd be willing to bet that if you worked with your HANDS you'd be sounding a helluva lot like me, but since it really doesn't affect you, you're content to swallow the government LOAD.

And all the sheeple said, "BAA-AAH-AAH-AAH!!!"
http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/1.gif (broken link)http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/1.gif (broken link)

Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 AM

217 posts, read 267,779 times
Quote:
No child should be deprived of public education. I don't care if a child wades across the Rio Grande and shows up to a school five minutes later; the Supreme Court has suggested that free, public education is a pseudo-fundamental right and that it cannot be withheld from anyone, regardless of their immigration status. On another note, illegal immigrant parents pay taxes too, you know.
These are the kind of politically correct people that will eventually lead to the demise of great nations like the USA

Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,692,900 times
Quote:
No child should be deprived of public education. I don't care if a child wades across the Rio Grande and shows up to a school five minutes later; the Supreme Court has suggested that free, public education is a pseudo-fundamental right and that it cannot be withheld from anyone, regardless of their immigration status. On another note, illegal immigrant parents pay taxes too, you know.
pseu·do–adjective

1. not actually but having the appearance of; pretended; false or spurious; sham.
2. almost, approaching, or trying to be.

'Nuff said.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM

117 posts, read 282,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewbank View Post
Awesome! Can we kick out all of the other stupid and/or learning disabled kids too? Special education is a huge burden to our economy, and I don't see why my taxes should go to support someone else's kid in a wheelchair at 10 times the cost . BTW, they also really burden our healthcare system...deport the special kids! God Bless America! Support the troops!
If they have no mental problems then kick them out or put them to work in the fields after we kick out all the illegal, non-working immigrants.

(Whatever!)

Old 12-17-2008, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
Quote:
I live in El Paso, TX, and I was on a bike ride with my brother this morning, and a lady driving an old beat up and smoking car, with mexico plates, drops off a young girl at the corner street, 2 seconds late the yellow school bus drives up and picks her up. Now, you tell me how, they are paying taxes when they drive over from Mexico and drop them off to catch the school bus?

Old 12-17-2008, 03:36 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,075,350 times
I've always proposed we should have an additional line item on tax returns where the pro-Illegal Alien types can enter whatever amount they deem fit to keep the Social Services flowing for Illegal Aliens without touching my wallet. There is nothing stopping these people from doing it already though.
I don't think I should be forced to adopt an Illegal Alien by proxy.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 830 times
Quote:
Yes they do pay taxes, such as for food or rent taxes, that "little" taxes compared to the extra "us" citezens pay every paycheck. Not only that but have you looked at what we pay for our house taxes each year. This will only increase with more Mexican nationals attending our schools. It makes me sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or