U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
How wonderful, It is hard to believe there is any racial issues in this country. Nice to see.
All countries have ethnic/racial issues; sad to say-----just that some places (Sudan) are worse than others (Switzerland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
How wonderful, It is hard to believe there is any racial issues in this country. Nice to see.

If only, haha.

There's plenty of racism in this country. Its not as bad as it was very recently(a few decades ago), but its still lurking around.

This country has taken huge strides towards integration in recent years, but its not exactly a bunch of people holding hands and singing cumbaya.

Look at the nicest neighborhoods and look at the demographics, then look at the most underserved areas, and look at their demographics.

Though not everybody, Im sure there are plenty who care where the immigrants come from. Illegal immigration of any race will anger an American citizen, but some get a little more bothered when those coming are brown-skinned.

If that wasnt true, you would see groups like the KKK start finding new supporters.
Ku Klux Klan and anti-Immigration - Ku Klux Klan Grows Thanks to Anti-Immigration and Anti-Mexican Sentiment (http://racerelations.about.com/od/recognizingmicroinequities/a/klanandmexicans.htm - broken link)

Again, Im sure most against illegal immigration have nothing against Hispanics. But there are many who are hot and bothered over both.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
I am curious how the late Judge Leander H. Perez of St Bernard Parish, La. would have dealt with most Hispanics------the man was a vicious White supremacist despite his Spanish lineage.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am curious how the late Judge Leander H. Perez of St Bernard Parish, La. would have dealt with most Hispanics------the man was a vicious White supremacist despite his Spanish lineage.
An hispanic racist?! But surely that cannot be, as only white Americans can be racist

Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Right on cue! haha

I just saw another of your posts where you "for the record" brought that dude up.

Leander Perez was a Spanish-American, which is the same as being a German-American, or British-American, i.e. european-american, i.e. white.

Even you have said yourself that Spaniards look down up Latin-Americans.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
An hispanic racist?! But surely that cannot be, as only white Americans can be racist
everyone can be racists.

Its just that white Americans are the majority, and have the power to do something about it, haha

Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 PM

884 posts, read 584,827 times
I could care less where you come from, just do it legally, get a job, carry your own weight, learn English and follow the laws. Then live the American dream and prosper.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 PM

182 posts, read 846,262 times
Check the stats (sorry, cannot find the LA times article to post here) whites and Americans are not the majority. Illegal Mexicans are.

illegal=criminal
legal= accepted law abiding residant member contributing to this country originating from anywhere (even here)

Prosecute the crimianls and send them home and bar them from return.

Accept the law abiding residant members here.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,273,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Right on cue! haha

I just saw another of your posts where you "for the record" brought that dude up.

Leander Perez was a Spanish-American, which is the same as being a German-American, or British-American, i.e. european-american, i.e. white.

Even you have said yourself that Spaniards look down up Latin-Americans.
I doubt his situation would have been any different had he been from Cuba or Venezuela. White is white, regardless of whether a person is from Latin America or Spain or the United States. That guy would have probably treated white Hispanics as his equals and would have been racist against non-white Hispanics, simple as that. It is not the least bit ironic to me that a Hispanic person was a white supremecist back in the day because like AzBear says, many Latin Americans / Hispanics are pretty racist and very pro-European.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Is it really only about illegal immigrants or does it matter, to you, were immigrants comes from? Do you rather see immigrants from Northern Europe, South America,The Middle East. Asia or from Africa? Just to name a few.
Let say they all came here legally.
I am just curious what your honest answer is.

I don't care where they come from but I care about their motives for coming here. I think that there are some people who were born to the wrong country and whatever country they are in, they are meant to be American.

Those people have a desire to learn our language and our ways, they want to be part of our people. To them immigration isn't just about a big screen television or the economic reasons, they want to be here because they like our freedom and the rest.

Immigration should be legal and fair for that reason. It shouldn't be too heavily from one country and it shouldn't be only about money. It shouldn't be people who believe their race entitles them to unlimited immigration, but it should be adding new Americans to our melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration