U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times

Advertisements

Great post, malamute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I doubt his situation would have been any different had he been from Cuba or Venezuela. White is white, regardless of whether a person is from Latin America or Spain or the United States. That guy would have probably treated white Hispanics as his equals and would have been racist against non-white Hispanics, simple as that. It is not the least bit ironic to me that a Hispanic person was a white supremecist back in the day because like AzBear says, many Latin Americans / Hispanics are pretty racist and very pro-European.
Mostly those who have European backgrounds. Which is a minority in most Latin American countries, and in Latin America in general. There are the exceptions like Argentina, Uruguay, etc.

I can point out random facts just like AzBear too.

Mexico once had a black president, long before America paid attention to Obama.
Venezuela's Hugo Chavez is acually of part Afro-Latino ancestry.

There also many famous Afro-Latinos. Military generals, writers, musicians, athletes, etc.

As far as Latin-American attitude towards Blacks, I will say that Latin-Americans aren't as sensitive to what offends Black people as much as people here are in the U.S. I wouldn't compare it to the straight out hate felt in the historical southern United States, but just ignorance to whats acceptable.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:47 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
As far as Latin-American attitude towards Blacks, I will say that Latin-Americans aren't as sensitive to what offends Black people as much as people here are in the U.S. I wouldn't compare it to the straight out hate felt in the historical southern United States, but just ignorance to whats acceptable.
Ignorance to what's acceptable?

IMO, treating people with "decency" shouldn't require much education or effort. Funny, they don't seem to have a problem being "sensitive" to what offends other races/ethnicities. Why are black people such an enigma?

If you cut us, we bleed ‘red’ blood. If you smile at us, we ‘generally’ will reciprocate. If you exhibit disdain for us, a similar response will usually ensue. It’s simply human nature.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:26 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

IMO, treating people with "decency" shouldn't require much education or effort. Funny, they don't seem to have a problem being "sensitive" to what offends other races/ethnicities. Why are black people such an enigma?

If you cut us, we bleed ‘red’ blood. If you smile at us, we ‘generally’ will reciprocate. If you exhibit disdain for us, a similar response will usually ensue. It’s simply human nature.
We all bleed red when cut...........and, not just in the physical sense either.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:50 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Default Daring to be Honest....

I think what KTalley is 'fishing for', really, is a sign of America's wide-spread racism. It's there, it exists, and I see it. I'm in an interracial marriage myself, as are several of my family members. We have several of mankinds "colors" in our family. If you're looking for racism, it's there. Probably, some amount will always exist.

That being said, though, ktalley, I'll stick my neck out here and say that while we have a multiracial society, it IS a rather loose 'construct', and its continued existence, and its freedom, DO require some sort of "assimilation" by anyone who proposes to join us. And while I'm no racist, neither am I a true believer in multiculturalism. Cultures, by definition, at some point become "incompatible". If you subscribe to ONE, that puts you at odds with the OTHER. No, we're not talking about food, music, or 'styles'. But in values, ethics, and deeper issues, cultures aren't really interchangeable.

The fact is, that in our very "rare" and loosely-organized society, which exists mostly by our mutual consent, and 'gentleman's agreement', some 'newcomers' will arrive understanding the 'rules' better than others. An immigrant from France, Italy, Japan, or Taiwan...(all rather modern, 'enlightened' places) will have less 'assimilating' to do, and less adjustment to be made, than a new arrival from Afghanistan, New Guinea, Uzbekhistan, or Zaire. The society in these places is simply much more DIFFERENT from ours than that of the "First World", and that's a fact.

If anyone wants to twist the above statement around to sound 'racist', they're welcome to do so, and they won't be the first. But I stand by what I say. All races and ethnicities are welcome here, and can, and should, be given full rights and responsibilities. But cultures are different. Some are modern, inclusive, democratic, outward-oriented, and "forward"-looking, and can easily adapt to American life. Other cultures are xenophobic, backward-looking, vengeful, intolerant, and violent. Their members are welcome here, but if their goal is to become successful Americans, they have some major adjusting to do. If that's OK with them, I say "welcome", by all means. We have a culture here, and anyone who wants to, is eligible to join. It's called 'being an American", and its requirements are really few....but they DO exist. We're 'easy', but not 'cheap'...

Last edited by macmeal; 05-24-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 01:22 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
And; to run with macmeal's ball a bit further, not so terribly long ago, Taiwan, etc. were essentially Third World nations--------but, they took responsibility for themselves and became First World.

Hell; the standing joke about Ireland was they had too cold of a climate to be a Third World nation------and, we are only discussing 30-40 years ago. Modern Ireland is solidly First World------and, having an illegal immigrant problem along with wealthy Spain and Italy as well.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:23 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Quote:

I was talking incidents such as that cartoon character that offended black people.

You don't have to step on your soapbox. But I am curious to what indeceny you are referring to?

Old 05-24-2008, 05:29 PM

411 posts, read 699,832 times
Two categories of immigrants are welcome.
1) Immigrants with money: Investors, traders...etc.
2) Immigrants with a brain: Exceptional people, scientists, engineers...etc.

America doesn't need more slaves, gangsters, consumers, communists, asylum seekers, or welfare collectors.

Immigration is an economic, social, cultural, ecological burden.

Population has tripled (+200%) since 1914.

Image:US Population Graph - 1790 to 2000.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Frenchman; 05-24-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 05:48 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I was talking incidents such as that cartoon character that offended black people.

You don't have to step on your soapbox. But I am curious to what indeceny you are referring to?
The cartoon characters were indeed offensive, as intended. The Mexican government knew exactly what those images implied; as much as it would realize the inaptness of displaying a swastika on a stamp -- so please don’t patronize me. Mexico’s depiction of blacks has been traditionally negative; and the negative stereotypes are instilled in its citizens -- ergo, the feelings of ‘superiority’ exhibited toward black Americans by illegal Mexicans currently in this country. It would be laughable if not so tragic.

Indecency? You stated they are “ignorant” to what’s acceptable. I merely responded by offering my opinion of acceptable behavior, which involves treating people with decency.

Soapbox? Give me a break.

Back on topic. The race/ethnicity of "immigrants" is irrelevant. They simply need to be LEGAL, and necessary.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:13 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Back on topic. The race/ethnicity of "immigrants" is irrelevant. They simply need to be LEGAL, and necessary.
"Necessary" is certainly a key word in the entire controversy. Does America have the right, and the duty, to seek out, "interview", and then admit, those immigrants who are needed here, in workable 'numbers', and who are compatible with our security and well-being as a nation? Or is America not really a true society at all, but rather a huge, coast-to-coast "no man's land", belonging to the whole human race, whose only function is to provide a 'default' destination to anyone and everyone who wants to come here, no questions asked, and with America's residents having no moral right to object, because this would make them xenophobes and racists?

No, this isn't an attempt to sound sarcastic. In fact, that is EXACTLY the debate going on now, with BOTH positions having a large number of adherents. As is readily evident, these are two VERY different interpretations of "what's right"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration