Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times

Advertisements

No...it doesn't matter to me WHERE they come from. If they come from Alabama, it bothers me. I definitely don't want them coming here from some other country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,384,678 times
Legal or illegal is all that matters to me.

But for legal, I am not into the refugee or asylum thing, people need to confront problems in their own country and prepare to face the consequences when they stir the pot, not look to a foreign government for help.

Plus I am not into the greencard lottery or inviting the whole extended family over.

I am also against the various churches going around and recruiting people and sponsoring them to come to America. This is nothing more than a modern day form of indentured servants and should be banned. The churches go over and exploit the economic situation of people then sponsor their green card and find employment for them in the US. In turn the new immigrants pay some excessive 10-15% fee to the church each month.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 PM

532 posts, read 858,058 times
Thumbs down Do you really think people will be honest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Is it really only about illegal immigrants or does it matter, to you, were immigrants comes from? Do you rather see immigrants from Northern Europe, South America,The Middle East. Asia or from Africa? Just to name a few.
Let say they all came here legally.
I am just curious what your honest answer is.
Of course people are biased, and prejudiced. They won't admit it, but would like to be thought of as tolerant, wonderful individuals. You didn't think you would get an honest answer, did you? Most people are afraid not to be politically correct. I am just as biased as anyone. I wish we didn't have any immigrants for a few yrs. We already have too many illegal ones--and they all should be sent home.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,384,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
Of course people are biased, and prejudiced. They won't admit it, but would like to be thought of as tolerant, wonderful individuals. You didn't think you would get an honest answer, did you? Most people are afraid not to be politically correct. I am just as biased as anyone. I wish we didn't have any immigrants for a few yrs. We already have too many illegal ones--and they all should be sent home.
Of course your left wing view would love to clump everyone together as a bigot so you feel better presuming that everyone is a racist and that is why they are against illegals, not because they are illegal but because most of them are hispanic!

So if it makes you feel better sure, but where are your facts?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Of course your left wing view would love to clump everyone together as a bigot so you feel better presuming that everyone is a racist and that is why they are against illegals, not because they are illegal but because most of them are hispanic!

So if it makes you feel better sure, but where are your facts?
'roberta' does not come across as a flamin' liberal.........she also wishes the illegals would leave.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:54 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,673,413 times
I wish our elected representatives to congress could be holy and moral while in office, but there is no religious test required, nor any power to do so enumerated, nor are there any anti-hypocrisy laws on the books.

What is wrong with simply fining any black market labor participants and issuing a work visa? The illegal problem can, in this manner, be easily solved. Revenue could also be generated and used to offset public and private sector costs, while possibly lowering our tax burden in the process.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:32 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,791,410 times
Quote:
Is it really only about illegal immigrants or does it matter, to you, were immigrants comes from? Do you rather see immigrants from Northern Europe, South America,The Middle East. Asia or from Africa? Just to name a few.
Honest answer? Come by the proper legal application, no matter who you are. Legals yes. Illegals no. It is an insult to those who do it the right way to accept anyone, from any country, before them. (I can see only ONE exception to the rule: real political sanctuary where we take in a person because their life depends on it. This is rare)

Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,673,413 times
Why do you hold that point of view? Do you consider the illegality of someone being illegal and getting a fixit ticket in the same manner of someone who illegally jaywalked across a state line?

The analogy is simple. The issue of illegality can easily be solved in the same manner in which it is solved through current bureaucracy and judicial precedent for certain misdemeanors. Once the deficiency has been corrected, the person is no longer being illegal nor committing illegality.

The revenue from such a public policy scheme could enable a lower tax burden while reducing public and private sector costs to the consumers of statism in the US.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Legal or illegal is all that matters to me.

But for legal, I am not into the refugee or asylum thing, people need to confront problems in their own country and prepare to face the consequences when they stir the pot, not look to a foreign government for help.

Plus I am not into the greencard lottery or inviting the whole extended family over.

I am also against the various churches going around and recruiting people and sponsoring them to come to America. This is nothing more than a modern day form of indentured servants and should be banned. The churches go over and exploit the economic situation of people then sponsor their green card and find employment for them in the US. In turn the new immigrants pay some excessive 10-15% fee to the church each month.
Great post!

Nicolem

Old 06-09-2008, 11:59 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,440,703 times
Quote:
My honest answer is that we need to limit all immigration for a while. Call me a xenophobe if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration