U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,554,032 times

Advertisements

What do you all think that these drug cartels are going to do as they see the fence go up? Stand there and take it? Smash through it? Kill more border patrol? We are their lively hood. At this moment they are probably digging more underground tunnels too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,042,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
What do you all think that these drug cartels are going to do as they see the fence go up? Stand there and take it? Smash through it? Kill more border patrol? We are their lively hood. At this moment they are probably digging more underground tunnels too.
Then what do you suggest? Completely open the border as to not inconvenience them? Perhaps staff lemonade stands for their enjoyment?

In a sense I know what you are getting at.....of course walls will not stop drug importers, but it may stop some, or at least make it that much harder. And that would be a good thing.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:28 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
In answer to AMC760

Many Mexicans came right out and said that whose fault was it if Americans were so weak-willed that we would become drug addicts and that Mexicans would just get rich from it but never succumb to drug addictions.

I think that's a big reason the narco-corridas are so popular, it was easy to admire the big drug jefes that got drugs over the border -- "con rumbo a Chicago" and so on. Lamberto Quinetero is made into some kind of hero just for being a drug trafficker, the growing devotion to Saint Jesus Malverde, the whole "chalino" style. I think many see their drug traffickers as Mexico's way of poking a stick into the gringo's eyes. A one-up-manship or sorts.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 AM

93 posts, read 297,675 times
A wall would work... if it could be built. If you have never been to the border, you probably have no concept of the sheer size of such an undertaking, and the cost$$$$! With 2 wars and a tanking economy, it ain't gonna' EVER happen, at least not done right.

Let's learn from China's illegal immigration problems...for 1500 years, they relied on 1000s of miles of 8 ft. thick wall with armed sentries every mile to keep out invaders...much better than crappy fallible cameras right? Still, for much of that time they were ruled by Mongolians, and later Manchurian invaders who got through the wall. They didn't stop having major immigration problems until they either a) invaded and conquered the offending country, thereby making ALL invaders naturalized, tax-paying citizens, or b) forming sustainable trade-relations with the country.

The question for the US is , do we a) invade and conquer Mexico, or b) establish sustainable, non-manipulative trade relations. Enough of this wall bull****. Walk along the southern Arizona border for 500 miles while you think about the REAL answer to this problem.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 AM

93 posts, read 297,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In answer to AMC760

Many Mexicans came right out and said that whose fault was it if Americans were so weak-willed that we would become drug addicts and that Mexicans would just get rich from it but never succumb to drug addictions.

I think that's a big reason the narco-corridas are so popular, it was easy to admire the big drug jefes that got drugs over the border -- "con rumbo a Chicago" and so on. Lamberto Quinetero is made into some kind of hero just for being a drug trafficker, the growing devotion to Saint Jesus Malverde, the whole "chalino" style. I think many see their drug traffickers as Mexico's way of poking a stick into the gringo's eyes. A one-up-manship or sorts.
YEss!!! So true. Get your entitled, gringo kids off the sauce and you'll solve half the problem. Great point malamute

Old 05-26-2008, 12:02 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewbank View Post
YEss!!! So true. Get your entitled, gringo kids off the sauce and you'll solve half the problem. Great point malamute
But that's the typical Mexican attitude -- that only the despised gringos will use drugs. Around here where I live the group with the biggest drug addiction problem are Mexicans, and there's no denying that Mexico has a growing drug addiction problem.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Remember the Berlin Wall?

It did an excellent job of keeping the East Germans in East Germany. Many people (including myself) wanted it torn down (which came to pass in 1989) because the German people on both sides of it despised the Wall.

Now; a properly fortified barrier running across our Southwest would essentially shut down the flow of illegals to almost zero.

Ff the narcos attempted to do as you stated------that would be an Act of War which would probably lead to the total destruction of Mexico.

Understand something about American culture: slow to anger; once pissed off-------we go flat out 'postal'. Let that serve as a warning to the narcos.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 PM

162 posts, read 294,105 times
Hey AZBear, I am not sure about "slow to anger", lately people have no patient for nothing...

Old 05-26-2008, 01:11 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
Hey AZBear, I am not sure about "slow to anger", lately people have no patient for nothing...
Point well taken.

The 'tipping point' may have been when with those illegal immigrant 'rights' rallies of two years ago. For many of us; that was a dash of cold water in the face.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,000,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In answer to AMC760

Narcocorridos are the Mexican answer to American gangsta rap.

They enjoy the music, because they are interesting stories about crime(who doesnt love crime when its fictional?), and they paint the characters as robin hood types.
Peasants who become rich off crime, drug trafficking.

Please link me to something that says that was common sentiment among mexicans, the part saying only Americans would succumb to it, and Mexicans wouldn't succumb to drug addictions.

personally, I think anyone who succumbs to drugs is a sucker. American or Mexican. Been around it my whole life and never touched the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or