U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,633 times
Reputation: 690

Advertisements

Another fine example of big business importing cheap illegal labor at the expense of legal American workers.


Problems with European and Russian illegal aliens in Key West, Florida, and other US cities - Economic News - Helium - by Amerigo
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,277,768 times
Reputation: 1675
That article is pretty sensationalist. The "illegals" work hard, assimilate eventually, and send their kids to the local schools, where they often excell and go to college. They do jobs that no Americans will do and are "stealing" jobs from no one. Since when were people lining up to work in Key West? It's a very expensive place that few people can afford, so it's very hard to find workers. In fact, some stores have to close for days/shifts because they literally can't keep themselves staffed. The Eastern Europeans and Central Americans keep Key West going and as someone who grew up in the area, I support their presence.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 09:31 PM
 
411 posts, read 700,180 times
Reputation: 119
What percentage of illegal immigrants are from Eastern Europe? 3%?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,277,768 times
Reputation: 1675
But in Key West, FL the percentage is likely around 50-65%
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,633 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
That article is pretty sensationalist. The "illegals" work hard, assimilate eventually, and send their kids to the local schools, where they often excell and go to college. They do jobs that no Americans will do and are "stealing" jobs from no one. Since when were people lining up to work in Key West? It's a very expensive place that few people can afford, so it's very hard to find workers. In fact, some stores have to close for days/shifts because they literally can't keep themselves staffed. The Eastern Europeans and Central Americans keep Key West going and as someone who grew up in the area, I support their presence.
Quote:
The establishments pay the contractor and the contractor pays the employee minus their cut, over a dollar an hour. The establishments also pay less than what they would to an American legal employee making it an even sweeter deal for them. The contractor also finds housing in these dirty stinky homes that have been divided up into small apartments. Literally a hot bed community! These illegal employees are worked to the bone like slave labor up to 14 hours per day and being told that only get overtime when they work more than 40 hours per week when it should be after 8 hours per day in a five day work week
Do you support that also.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,659,633 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
What percentage of illegal immigrants are from Eastern Europe? 3%?

Too far to walk.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,691,681 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
That article is pretty sensationalist. The "illegals" work hard, assimilate eventually, and send their kids to the local schools, where they often excell and go to college. They do jobs that no Americans will do and are "stealing" jobs from no one. Since when were people lining up to work in Key West? It's a very expensive place that few people can afford, so it's very hard to find workers. In fact, some stores have to close for days/shifts because they literally can't keep themselves staffed. The Eastern Europeans and Central Americans keep Key West going and as someone who grew up in the area, I support their presence.
I'm curious--just what sort of percentage of illegal alien presence would you support in the U.S.? There are 6,670,332,983 people currently living on planet Earth. Of that number, it has been estimated that at least three BILLION of them would move to the U.S. if possible.

Just how many huddled masses are we expected to try to support with our American tax dollars and limited and failing ecological resources?

Key West is a beautiful place. Having lived in Florida during my teen years, I remember well that it functioned perfectly fine without illegal slave labor. Should Key West businesses decide to recruit legal workers and assist them in moving to Key West, as well as finding housing (note I said finding housing not providing housing) and pay a LIVING wage, I'm sure that they would find plenty of people who would LOVE to live and work in Key West.

I get a kick out of your seeming "compassionate" support of illegal immigration, when it is obvious that these people are worked in a fashion that NO American worker would tolerate--slave wages, losing a portion of that slave wage to contractors, squalid living conditions, no overtime pay or benefits--and you dare to castigate Americans? Of course they're doing the jobs Americans won't do. Slavery was outlawed in this country in the late 19th century. Funny to me that those of you who are the most vocal of the illegal alien apologists have no problem whatsoever with this modern day form of bondage.

Last edited by Kele; 05-27-2008 at 06:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,037,808 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm curious--just what sort of percentage of illegal alien presence would you support in the U.S.? There are 6,670,332,983 people currently living on planet Earth. Of that number, it has been estimated that at least three BILLION of them would move to the U.S. if possible.

Just how many huddled masses are we expected to try to support with our American tax dollars and limited and failing ecological resources?

Key West is a beautiful place. Having lived in Florida during my teen years, I remember well that it functioned perfectly fine without illegal slave labor. Should Key West businesses decide to recruit legal workers and assist them in moving to Key West, as well as finding housing (note I said finding housing not providing housing) and pay a LIVING wage, I'm sure that they would find plenty of people who would LOVE to live and work in Key West.

I get a kick out of your seeming "compassionate" support of illegal immigration, when it is obvious that these people are worked in a fashion that NO American worker would tolerate--slave wages, losing a portion of that slave wage to contractors, squalid living conditions, no overtime pay or benefits--and you dare to castigate Americans? Of course they're doing the jobs Americans won't do. Slavery was outlawed in this country in the late 19th century. Funny to me that those of you who are the most vocal of the illegal alien apologists have no problem whatsoever with this modern day form of bondage.
Because some enjoy having a $5 frappe while patting themselves on the back for their enlightened liberalism
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm curious--just what sort of percentage of illegal alien presence would you support in the U.S.? There are 6,670,332,983 people currently living on planet Earth. Of that number, it has been estimated that at least three BILLION of them would move to the U.S. if possible.

Just how many huddled masses are we expected to try to support with our American tax dollars and limited and failing ecological resources?

Key West is a beautiful place. Having lived in Florida during my teen years, I remember well that it functioned perfectly fine without illegal slave labor. Should Key West businesses decide to recruit legal workers and assist them in moving to Key West, as well as finding housing (note I said finding housing not providing housing) and pay a LIVING wage, I'm sure that they would find plenty of people who would LOVE to live and work in Key West.

I get a kick out of your seeming "compassionate" support of illegal immigration, when it is obvious that these people are worked in a fashion that NO American worker would tolerate--slave wages, losing a portion of that slave wage to contractors, squalid living conditions, no overtime pay or benefits--and you dare to castigate Americans? Of course they're doing the jobs Americans won't do. Slavery was outlawed in this country in the late 19th century. Funny to me that those of you who are the most vocal of the illegal alien apologists have no problem whatsoever with this modern day form of bondage.
Very well-stated!

I wonder what type of "law" Crisp plans to practice, or if he/she will advise clients to simply ignore the laws they consider unfair or outmoded.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,277,768 times
Reputation: 1675
Real estate law; I think that immigration is interesting but I am more interested in debate and policy than the legal side of the issue.

My response to the "slave labor" comment is that most of the "illegals" in Key West do not live in such conditions and if they were treated like slaves they would just go somewhere else. Choosing to work somewhere is not slavery and not even indentured servitude; these immigrants have a choice to just move on for better conditions and/or higher wages. I grew up with the children of "illegals" and their parents were able to provide them with a middle class lifestyle after several years of hard work. You can certainly find extreme examples of terrible working conditions and bad treatment of "illegals" at the hands of their employers, but I would imagine that this is the exception to the rule.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top