U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:06 AM

411 posts, read 699,832 times

Advertisements

Government propaganda still works great after a century of world wars and financial scams.
I sometimes watch EuroNews, CNN, crappiest "news networks" ever. It brings you the "PRAVDA", the "truth", a.k.a. government gospel.
Today there was a special on illegal immigration, so they were trying to explain what a chance it was for rich countries like Britain and the United States.
It's hard to explain how bad is good, so they just made things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM

1,861 posts, read 2,967,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Tío, speaking Spanish doesn't mean you're not assimilated.
Excuse me? Of COURSE, it means you're not assimilated, IF you are speaking something other than English in the "public forum", whether it be school, a grocery store, any other kind of store, the court system, the hospital, etc.

Speaking the language is the biggest indicator of assimilation. Without that, you have nothing. You cannot be assimilated if you don't even understand what's going on around you, and need interpretation all the time, like you're a permanent tourist.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I hope you are talking about legal immigrants. Illegal aliens have no business being here.
ITA! I believe "immigrants" are assimilating. They actually came here legally (most), and want to become Americans. On the other hand, illegals are here to “earn money" and have no interest in assimilation or becoming American.

I have no problem with funds being used to assist immigrants. However, I have a HUGE problem with taxpayer funds being used to aid and abet illegal aliens.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,272,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Excuse me? Of COURSE, it means you're not assimilated, IF you are speaking something other than English in the "public forum", whether it be school, a grocery store, any other kind of store, the court system, the hospital, etc.

Speaking the language is the biggest indicator of assimilation. Without that, you have nothing. You cannot be assimilated if you don't even understand what's going on around you, and need interpretation all the time, like you're a permanent tourist.
Nope. My first language is English, as I was born and raised in the United States; however, I sometimes choose to speak Spanish on the phone, at the mall, or at Latin American restaurants. I am fluent in both languages, and speaking Spanish doesn't mean that I'm any less American or any less assimilated.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM

220 posts, read 336,013 times
Government statistics show that the "immigrants", whatever their status, are assimilating just as well as the Irish, Poles, Germans, etc. and that Los Angeles is in fact safer now than it was in the 50s. If you don't believe me, here's an image for you:

Only xenophobes and racists disagree!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Remember that the City of Los Angeles ranges from Chatsworth through Hollywood, then Watts on to San Pedro.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM

220 posts, read 336,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear;
Remember that the City of Los Angeles ranges from Chatsworth through Hollywood, then Watts on to San Pedro.
Actually, that is more or less the point.

The very definitions of what constitues the categories of "serious crime" and "the city of Los Angeles" have changed to such an extent from what was meant in the 50s that when government statistics of this kind are arranged in a nice timeseries they become, at best, somewhat meaningless.

The same goes for the pollyanna rhetoric which asks us not to seriously question the legitimacy of the human tsunamai coming to America because, "The Irish and Italians assimilated proving the fearmongers of the 20s wrong." This kind of cheap moralizing should be dumped along with the LAPD's PR-sensitive"crime statistics".

Last edited by OldTex; 05-28-2008 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM

985 posts, read 3,189,350 times
Default English & Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post

I guess you had only read the first line of my post before you replied, eh.

Crisp444 explained it clearly.
As I mentioned in my previous post, just because someone is speaking Spanish doesn't mean (s)he doesn't speak English.
In the case of Hispanics in the US, fact is, most have English as their first language. The great majority of the 2nd generation does, as it had been with the Germans, Italians, and other non-English speaking immigrants to the USA.

It's the assumption that if someone speaks Spanish, then (s)he doesn't speak English (very well) which is being used by those jesters saying that a whole generation of Hispanics are growing up without learning English.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:50 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Nope. My first language is English, as I was born and raised in the United States; however, I sometimes choose to speak Spanish on the phone, at the mall, or at Latin American restaurants. I am fluent in both languages, and speaking Spanish doesn't mean that I'm any less American or any less assimilated.
If a group of Americans went illegally into Mexico and demanded services be provided them in English, waved their American flags, celebrated all the American holidays, and never bothered to learn Spanish, I'd say they weren't trying to assimilate either.

Let's ask the American Indians if it's always a guarantee that groups moving in will automatically assimilate. Assimilations requires that the new group learn the cultural values of the existing group and that is not always the case at all.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Government statistics show that the "immigrants", whatever their status, are assimilating just as well as the Irish, Poles, Germans, etc. and that Los Angeles is in fact safer now than it was in the 50s. If you don't believe me, here's an image for you:

Only xenophobes and racists disagree!
Only some people believe the government's every last word.

The government has sold out to the cheap labor interests. Unlimited and massive illegal immigration is all about getting the cheapest possible labor. That's really all it's about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or