U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 25 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times

Advertisements

Commentary: Immigrants melting into the pot as usual - CNN.com

Quote:
And even while Americans complain about how the current crop of immigrants aren't like their predecessors, they miss the irony: At the time, there were people who said the same thing about their ancestors; the Germans were thought to not be like the English, the Irish weren't like the Germans, the Italians weren't like the Irish etc. And the Chinese weren't like anyone who had come before them, and so they were labeled "unassimilable" by the Tom Tancredos of that era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
I agree. Assimilation is happening as usual with Mexicans/Hispanics.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 7,216,574 times
I hope you are talking about legal immigrants. Illegal aliens have no business being here.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,487,179 times
I don't know, dude. The whole "Well, people said the same thing about <insert ethnic group here, usually the Irish and/or Italians> a long time ago too" argument doesn't really do much for me. It doesn't really address the issues caused by illegal immigration, it's kind of a meaningless statement that assumes the root of the problem is xenophobia or something. I also believe that persecution towards the Irish, Italians, etc is a little overstated.

Anyways, certainly there are a lot of Mexicans and other folks from down that way who have assimilated into our culture but as of right now there are more people who were born in Mexico and currently reside in the United States than people who immigrated from Ireland and Germany combined, our two largest ethnic groups. Think about that. Who's going to have to do the assimilation once they're the majority?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,487,179 times
I just actually read the article and I do agree with the author that there is a double standard as far as people complaining about Mexicans with Mexican flags, celebrating Mexican holidays and so-on while it's perfectly ok for someone to say, have an Irish flag and celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

I'm very proud of my Anglo-Celtic heritage. I'm very into British music, British fashion and British culture. I've even got a Welsh dragon tattoo and Celtic crosses, but no one is ever going to question where my loyalties lie...and if they do, the fact that I've fought for this country should clear it up. Mexican-Americans should have that right as well. If I moved to another country, you can bet that I'll still be out grilling burgers, listening to some American music, drinking Coca-Cola and pulling for US sports teams.

Sometimes I think that those of us who are against illegal immigration need to pick and choose our battles better. Instead of arguing over who has a Mexican flag or prefers to speak Spanish, we need to focus on the issues that really matter like crime, social and economic impact, etc.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Sometimes I think that those of us who are against illegal immigration need to pick and choose our battles better. Instead of arguing over who has a Mexican flag or prefers to speak Spanish, we need to focus on the issues that really matter like crime, social and economic impact, etc.
I think you are on to something. Great point.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:24 AM

985 posts, read 3,190,977 times
Thumbs up Assimilation

Quote:
Anyways, certainly there are a lot of Mexicans and other folks from down that way who have assimilated into our culture but as of right now there are more people who were born in Mexico and currently reside in the United States than people who immigrated from Ireland and Germany combined, our two largest ethnic groups. Think about that. Who's going to have to do the assimilation once they're the majority?
Well, mein Freund, the "Germans" are in the majority today.
The Americans of German ancestry far outnumber even those of Irish origins, not to mention those of English ancestry.
Even today, unlike what many people think, the majority of Latinos are more fluent in English than in Spanish or Portuguese.

Quote:
I just actually read the article and I do agree with the author that there is a double standard as far as people complaining about Mexicans with Mexican flags, celebrating Mexican holidays and so-on while it's perfectly ok for someone to say, have an Irish flag and celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

I'm very proud of my Anglo-Celtic heritage. I'm very into British music, British fashion and British culture. I've even got a Welsh dragon tattoo and Celtic crosses, but no one is ever going to question where my loyalties lie...and if they do, the fact that I've fought for this country should clear it up. Mexican-Americans should have that right as well. If I moved to another country, you can bet that I'll still be out grilling burgers, listening to some American music, drinking Coca-Cola and pulling for US sports teams.

[moderator cut: foreign language] , I agree, (I don't know how to say that in Irish ).

Last edited by madicarus2000; 05-29-2008 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Foreign language

Old 05-28-2008, 02:52 AM

5 posts, read 2,478 times
There's a rudimentary issue here that everybody thus far has missed. It's socially acceptable for every non-European ethnicity to band together into ethnically cohesive groups that protect and/or elevate their social, political, and economic power. The sole identity these groups have is that of ethnicity, and how to do everything possible to improve their particular ethnic group, without any concern for others aside from the occasional alliance to challenge the "White establishment". However, for Europeans to do the same quickly gains the label of Nazis/haters/xenophobes/racists etc.

And given the current rates of immigration, Americans have every right to be concerned, as this "nation" quickly balkanizes into an unmanageable hodge-podge of various tribes divided around un-assimilated ethnic lines.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Then why are we wasting so much tax payer money on Spanish language teachers, the so-called "bilingual" ed, and even voting instructions in Spanish? Why are there so many Mexican radio stations and television channels if they are assimilating? Even politicians speaking in Spanish -- maybe it's the Americans assimilating into Mexican culture?

Why all the Mexican Consulates going up everywhere? The dual citizenships? The Aztlan and Mexica Movement types and the Mexican flags waving everywhere?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM

985 posts, read 3,190,977 times
Unhappy Speaking Spanish

Tío, speaking Spanish doesn't mean you're not assimilated.

The great majority of Americans who claim to speak Spanish speak English as well. Many of them are even more fluent in English than Spanish.
I underscored claim because many Spanish speakers in reality just know Cómo va and basic Spanish conversations to start with. Most of them are more competent in English.

Has any of you thought that some Hispanics go to Spanish courses or are sent by their parents because they are practically Anglophones or speak "bad" Spanish, if they speak Spanish at all?

Even if these people learn Spanish, it'll not change the fact that their main language is English.

It's really interesting how history repeats itself. The same lamentations were there about the Germans (today the largest ancestor group of Americans), the Irish, the Italians, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or