U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

One would be hard-pressed to find a more pro-illegal news media than the Wash Post, or more biased commentary than those of Navarette. The majority of their articles are sob stories designed to tug at the heart strings, and they consistently (and intentionally) make no distinction between legal and illegal immigration. Apparently they believe their inculcation of “immigrants” and “undocumented” will eventually transform the illegal into legal in the minds of most Americans. Nice try, but it’s not working.

They can also play the race card and the hate card; neither of which is applicable to the VAST MAJORITY of illegal alien opponents. I know what’s in my heart, and it’s not hate. Rather, I am saddened by the greed and corruption permeating our government and major corporations. I am saddened by the annihilation of our manufacturing industry in favor of cheap foreign labor. I am saddened by the systematic elimination of our middle-class due to massive cheap illegal labor and the depression of wages. I am saddened by the closure of hospitals due to burgeoning unpaid bills, of which “free” services to illegal aliens has been a major factor. I am saddened by the state of our public educational systems overburdened by an “obligation” to provide K-12 education, including free breakfast/lunch and ESL classes for illegal alien children. The list goes on…..

I am also appalled by the campaign to vilify decent, hard-working U.S. taxpayers who love this country; many of whom have fought for the freedoms we hold so dear -- by accusing us of being racists, xenophobes, nativists, and haters simply due to our opposition to unabated illegal immigration. Our government has permitted our country to be invaded; yet, we are the “bad guys” because we are not willing to simply sit back and ignore it.

It would be a novel change if just once these bleeding hearts could spare a little compassion for the legal citizens of this country, rather than pandering to millions of foreigners who have no problem circumventing our laws and abusing the generosity of U.S. taxpayers. What happened to “charity begins at home?”

I am as compassionate as they come. However, I cannot condone the lawlessness of illegal immigration. If that makes me a “bad” person, so be it. Again, I know what’s in my heart. More importantly, for me, God knows my heart; and He is the only one I must answer to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
One would be hard-pressed to find a more pro-illegal news media than the Wash Post, or more biased commentary than those of Navarette. The majority of their articles are sob stories designed to tug at the heart strings, and they consistently (and intentionally) make no distinction between legal and illegal immigration. Apparently they believe their inculcation of “immigrants” and “undocumented” will eventually transform the illegal into legal in the minds of most Americans. Nice try, but it’s not working.

They can also play the race card and the hate card; neither of which is applicable to the VAST MAJORITY of illegal alien opponents. I know what’s in my heart, and it’s not hate. Rather, I am saddened by the greed and corruption permeating our government and major corporations. I am saddened by the annihilation of our manufacturing industry in favor of cheap foreign labor. I am saddened by the systematic elimination of our middle-class due to massive cheap illegal labor and the depression of wages. I am saddened by the closure of hospitals due to burgeoning unpaid bills, of which “free” services to illegal aliens has been a major factor. I am saddened by the state of our public educational systems overburdened by an “obligation” to provide K-12 education, including free breakfast/lunch and ESL classes for illegal alien children. The list goes on…..

I am also appalled by the campaign to vilify decent, hard-working U.S. taxpayers who love this country; many of whom have fought for the freedoms we hold so dear -- by accusing us of being racists, xenophobes, nativists, and haters simply due to our opposition to unabated illegal immigration. Our government has permitted our country to be invaded; yet, we are the “bad guys” because we are not willing to simply sit back and ignore it.

It would be a novel change if just once these bleeding hearts could spare a little compassion for the legal citizens of this country, rather than pandering to millions of foreigners who have no problem circumventing our laws and abusing the generosity of U.S. taxpayers. What happened to “charity begins at home?”

I am as compassionate as they come. However, I cannot condone the lawlessness of illegal immigration. If that makes me a “bad” person, so be it. Again, I know what’s in my heart. More importantly, for me, God knows my heart; and He is the only one I must answer to.
Wonderful post, and I wish I could rep you for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Wonderful post, and I wish I could rep you for it!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Did you folks read the article? Telling Navarrette he is pulling the race card or hate card is not an arguement to what Obama said:

Quote:
"A certain segment has basically been feeding a kind of xenophobia. There's a reason why hate crimes against Hispanic people doubled last year," Obama said. "If you have people like Lou Dobbs and Rush Limbaugh ginning things up, it's not surprising that would happen.
I think Obama is absoloutely right about Lou Dobbs and Rush Limbaugh, he should have thrown Bill O'Rielly in there too.

Being against illegal immigration is one thing, targeting Mexicans and Hispanics with a constant flow of non-Latino speech is non-acceptable and all you have to do is watch one of these hot-headed shows to realize the message they are sending.

It is their agenda to add vitrol to the American populace, and most Americans cannot decipher between an illegal and a legal Hispanic.

You don't think Rush Limbaugh went a little too far when he did this?
Quote:
Limbaugh has made his share of sophomoric remarks. Not long ago, he aired a parody of a group calling itself "Jose y Los Ilegales" singing "The Star-Spanglish Banner," complete with Speedy Gonzales accents and offensive lyrics
These talk-news guys don't even offer solutions they just poke fun at Latinos, finger point and drive hatred towards them.

You folks go so far to discredit Navarrette but he is sourcing many facts that are undeniable proof that these talk show hosts are generating hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Reputation: 30382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
One would be hard-pressed to find a more pro-illegal news media than the Wash Post, or more biased commentary than those of Navarette. The majority of their articles are sob stories designed to tug at the heart strings, and they consistently (and intentionally) make no distinction between legal and illegal immigration. Apparently they believe their inculcation of “immigrants” and “undocumented” will eventually transform the illegal into legal in the minds of most Americans. Nice try, but it’s not working.

They can also play the race card and the hate card; neither of which is applicable to the VAST MAJORITY of illegal alien opponents. I know what’s in my heart, and it’s not hate. Rather, I am saddened by the greed and corruption permeating our government and major corporations. I am saddened by the annihilation of our manufacturing industry in favor of cheap foreign labor. I am saddened by the systematic elimination of our middle-class due to massive cheap illegal labor and the depression of wages. I am saddened by the closure of hospitals due to burgeoning unpaid bills, of which “free” services to illegal aliens has been a major factor. I am saddened by the state of our public educational systems overburdened by an “obligation” to provide K-12 education, including free breakfast/lunch and ESL classes for illegal alien children. The list goes on…..

I am also appalled by the campaign to vilify decent, hard-working U.S. taxpayers who love this country; many of whom have fought for the freedoms we hold so dear -- by accusing us of being racists, xenophobes, nativists, and haters simply due to our opposition to unabated illegal immigration. Our government has permitted our country to be invaded; yet, we are the “bad guys” because we are not willing to simply sit back and ignore it.

It would be a novel change if just once these bleeding hearts could spare a little compassion for the legal citizens of this country, rather than pandering to millions of foreigners who have no problem circumventing our laws and abusing the generosity of U.S. taxpayers. What happened to “charity begins at home?”

I am as compassionate as they come. However, I cannot condone the lawlessness of illegal immigration. If that makes me a “bad” person, so be it. Again, I know what’s in my heart. More importantly, for me, God knows my heart; and He is the only one I must answer to.
I could not have said this any better myself. Maybe Maryland would be better off with you as governor instead of that incompetent O'Malley. I may not be one to talk with Kaine in office in Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Reputation: 3010
Lou Dobbs' Hispanic wife might take issue to Obama's generalization of her husband. But then again, Obama sees racism in every little crack and under every little stone, which is rather humorous when you consider his total disregard and practical disavowment of his Caucasian heritage.

However, we all know by now that illegal alien apologists have no valid argument in favor of allowing millions of people to illegally swarm this country en masse. They rely on the term "racist" as a verbal crutch--much in the same way that many speakers rely on "um" to get them through a difficult presentation.

The tendency of the pro-illegal immigration crowd to cry "bigot," "racist," "xenophobe," and other reflexive dogmatic tropes every time a person dares to disagree with their agenda smacks of desperation.

I for one, find that to be quite encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Reputation: 5288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Lou Dobbs' Hispanic wife might take issue to Obama's generalization of her husband. But then again, Obama sees racism in every little crack and under every little stone, which is rather humorous when you consider his total disregard and practical disavowment of his Caucasian heritage.

However, we all know by now that illegal alien apologists have no valid argument in favor of allowing millions of people to illegally swarm this country en masse. They rely on the term "racist" as a verbal crutch--much in the same way that many speakers rely on "um" to get them through a difficult presentation.

The tendency of the pro-illegal immigration crowd to cry "bigot," "racist," "xenophobe," and other reflexive dogmatic tropes every time a person dares to disagree with their agenda smacks of desperation.

I for one, find that to be quite encouraging.
Having a Hispanic wife has nothing to do with it, is that like a free ticket to saying whatever he wants about Hispanics because he is married to one? No.

So your argument against anyone who might draw a line between anti-illegal and anti-hispanic is that they are pulling the race card?

So basically Rush can sling insults at Hispanics at will, O'Rielly can show pictures of Mexicans as if they are the only people who are here illegally. And Lou Dobbs can do whatever he wants because he has an Hispanic wife?

Your argument is weak. There is a line between anit-illegal and anti-hispanic and these talk-show hosts have crossed it.

How come I never see Lou, Bill or Rush showing pictures of the CEO's that hire Illegals? If you want to get the public angry, why not point the riot at them? Instead they show the company logo...but then show the face of an Hispanic working there, it is pretty obvious the message here.

Last edited by Mach50; 05-29-2008 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:19 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Reputation: 559
MOST illegals are Mexicans. That's why we hear mostly about Mexicans in the illegal immigration debate. Can't exactly change that.

And, as far as Lou's guests perhaps being against LEGAL immigration, so what? Many people would like a moritorium until we get all this illegal immigration under control, and THEN decide what is best for us, the citizens of the U.S. That's all that counts - what is best for US, since we pay the bills?

It's sort of like taxation without representation, since our tax money is given to people that the American people don't even want here - illegals. We have nothing to say about it, because we have no "representation" anymore in the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Reputation: 3010
I'm pretty sure that I stood up for Lou Dobbs only, not O'Reilly or Limbaugh. I don't listen to either one of them. Anyone with half a frontal lobe knows that their shows are sensationalistic in nature, and frankly--that's the only reason they receive any sort of publicity at all.

However, I do listen to Lou Dobbs. The man is not a bigot, but because he stands up for the middle class and against illegal immigration, be has been painted as such by illegal alien apologists.

As I stated in my previous post. Nothing more than reflexive dogmatic tropes and shibboleths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm pretty sure that I stood up for Lou Dobbs only, not O'Reilly or Limbaugh. I don't listen to either one of them. Anyone with half a frontal lobe knows that their shows are sensationalistic in nature, and frankly--that's the only reason they receive any sort of publicity at all.

However, I do listen to Lou Dobbs. The man is not a bigot, but because he stands up for the middle class and against illegal immigration, be has been painted as such by illegal alien apologists.

As I stated in my previous post. Nothing more than reflexive dogmatic tropes and shibboleths.
It's all they can say since they are WRONG that illegal immigration is OK. So, they can't think of any excuses except "bigot, racist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top