U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,892,377 times

Advertisements

Actually, I listen to all three. I STILL do not like Rush, but he is right on about alot of issues (I hate to admit). Lou Dobbs IS a sensationalist, but he downplays his part in it (as he is very clever) and has his pundits do the job for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I'm pretty sure that I stood up for Lou Dobbs only, not O'Reilly or Limbaugh. I don't listen to either one of them. Anyone with half a frontal lobe knows that their shows are sensationalistic in nature, and frankly--that's the only reason they receive any sort of publicity at all.

However, I do listen to Lou Dobbs. The man is not a bigot, but because he stands up for the middle class and against illegal immigration, be has been painted as such by illegal alien apologists.

As I stated in my previous post. Nothing more than reflexive dogmatic tropes and shibboleths.
Lou Dobbs - when talking about race and politics...said "cotton p"...

YouTube - Lou Dobbs: Cotton... What?

Now I'm not going to argue about what he said. He clearly said "cotton" and then puckered his mouth up to start with a "p". The only combination I can think of with the word "cotton" and a word starting with the letter "p" is "cotton picker," which, of course, is a derogatory name aimed at black people due to the institution of slavery that this country (indeed, the Constitution) condoned and allowed to thrive.

Think Progress » CNN Scrubs Dobbs’ Racially Charged Comment From Transcript

Old 05-29-2008, 02:39 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
One would be hard-pressed to find a more pro-illegal news media than the Wash Post, or more biased commentary than those of Navarette. The majority of their articles are sob stories designed to tug at the heart strings, and they consistently (and intentionally) make no distinction between legal and illegal immigration. Apparently they believe their inculcation of “immigrants” and “undocumented” will eventually transform the illegal into legal in the minds of most Americans. Nice try, but it’s not working.

They can also play the race card and the hate card; neither of which is applicable to the VAST MAJORITY of illegal alien opponents. I know what’s in my heart, and it’s not hate. Rather, I am saddened by the greed and corruption permeating our government and major corporations. I am saddened by the annihilation of our manufacturing industry in favor of cheap foreign labor. I am saddened by the systematic elimination of our middle-class due to massive cheap illegal labor and the depression of wages. I am saddened by the closure of hospitals due to burgeoning unpaid bills, of which “free” services to illegal aliens has been a major factor. I am saddened by the state of our public educational systems overburdened by an “obligation” to provide K-12 education, including free breakfast/lunch and ESL classes for illegal alien children. The list goes on…..

I am also appalled by the campaign to vilify decent, hard-working U.S. taxpayers who love this country; many of whom have fought for the freedoms we hold so dear -- by accusing us of being racists, xenophobes, nativists, and haters simply due to our opposition to unabated illegal immigration. Our government has permitted our country to be invaded; yet, we are the “bad guys” because we are not willing to simply sit back and ignore it.

It would be a novel change if just once these bleeding hearts could spare a little compassion for the legal citizens of this country, rather than pandering to millions of foreigners who have no problem circumventing our laws and abusing the generosity of U.S. taxpayers. What happened to “charity begins at home?”

I am as compassionate as they come. However, I cannot condone the lawlessness of illegal immigration. If that makes me a “bad” person, so be it. Again, I know what’s in my heart. More importantly, for me, God knows my heart; and He is the only one I must answer to.
This MAY qualify as "post of the year". To the point, hard-hitting, and well said. "On target" without being unkind....you get an "A+"...

Last edited by macmeal; 05-29-2008 at 02:58 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Did you folks read the article? Telling Navarrette he is pulling the race card or hate card is not an arguement to what Obama said:

I think Obama is absoloutely right about Lou Dobbs and Rush Limbaugh, he should have thrown Bill O'Rielly in there too.

Being against illegal immigration is one thing, targeting Mexicans and Hispanics with a constant flow of non-Latino speech is non-acceptable and all you have to do is watch one of these hot-headed shows to realize the message they are sending.

It is their agenda to add vitrol to the American populace, and most Americans cannot decipher between an illegal and a legal Hispanic.

You don't think Rush Limbaugh went a little too far when he did this?

These talk-news guys don't even offer solutions they just poke fun at Latinos, finger point and drive hatred towards them.

You folks go so far to discredit Navarrette but he is sourcing many facts that are undeniable proof that these talk show hosts are generating hate.

Once more, the word "hate" comes to mind....but it's still inaccurate. These talk show guys are "rough"..that's their stock-in-trade. They "make fun'" of people, and say things in a sarcastic way that go into the area of 'questionable taste'. (I should know..I'm fond of sarcasm myself).

It would be hard to think of any group that these people HAVEN'T offended. They CERTAINLY have no mercy on most elected officials....ditto for Congressmen, Archbishops, and any number of liberal-based spokesmen of any imaginable 'cause'...ALL of them get treated with sarcasm.

Illegal immigration is certainly a HUGE "deal" these days, and, sure enough, the illegals themselves come in for some mockery and sarcastic 'put-downs'..just like every OTHER group these hosts mention on their shows.

But equating this with promoting "hatred of Hispanics" is just not true. If this type of tongue-in-cheek 'wisecrack' is all it takes to make a listener hate Hispanics, then that listener already has problems that go WAY beyond listening to a radio program.

Sarcasm isn't for everyone....many people don't care for it. But sarcasm is a style of dealing with problems, and it's a LONG way from 'hate'. And for the poor misguided soul who mentioned the use of the "Speedy Gonzales accent"..please, GROW UP....Speedy Gonzales was a MOUSE, for crying out loud....a little rodent....a PEST !!.....making fun of Speedy Gonzales is no more a sign of anti-Hispanic hatred than Foghorn Leghorn or Huckleberry Hound were "anti-white Southern"....or "The Beverley Hillbillies" spread 'hatred of poorly-educated whites' ". If watching "The Hillbillies" causes someone to hate Whites, that person has serious problems, and it's not the fault of the show's producers.

If we can do nothing else on this forum, can't we discuss the problem of REAL HATE, and not just someone's annoyance at a group who's breaking our laws? And can't we restrict the discussion to PEOPLE, and leave the cartoon characters out of it?...PLEASE ?.....

BTW, if anyone doesn't want to listen to these guys, by all means DON'T. I seldom listen, myself...(least of all to Limbaugh).not because they spread 'hate', but simply because the whole subject is tedious, tiresome, and depressing. It's an argument mostly fueled by emotion. Our government has obviously 'folded' on this issue, and continullly 're-hashing' the matter just gets monotonous. But that doesn't mean it's a matter of 'hate'.

Last edited by macmeal; 05-29-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 03:01 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As someone who believes it is OK to aid and abet lawbreakers-------your credibility is zero as well.

If you do not like the hardening anti illegal immigrant sentiment here in the USA; you can always move to another country whose values are more in line with yours.
Why don't you move to another country? Besides the anti-immigrant posters on here have no credibility whatsoever. All they do is incite hate.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why don't you move to another country? Besides the anti-immigrant posters on here have no credibility whatsoever. All they do is incite hate.
I've tried to remain silent lately but your continued used of the ill-termed "anti-immigrant posters" has induced me to speak up once again. You're as bad as Mr. Navarette, lumping immigrants together with illegal aliens in order to further your race-based agenda. You've been told a thousand times about it, you've had the differences explained to you in language a 2nd-grader can understand but yet you continue with your inanity.

I'm beginning to wonder if logic and reasoned discussion are ever going to have any impact on your misguided misperceptions.

I'm tending to doubt it.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:50 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Someone opposed to criminal activity in their own country = should just move to another country. Riiiight. Great idea!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:51 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I've tried to remain silent lately but your continued used of the ill-termed "anti-immigrant posters" has induced me to speak up once again. You're as bad as Mr. Navarette, lumping immigrants together with illegal aliens in order to further your race-based agenda. You've been told a thousand times about it, you've had the differences explained to you in language a 2nd-grader can understand but yet you continue with your inanity.

I'm beginning to wonder if logic and reasoned discussion are ever going to have any impact on your misguided misperceptions.

I'm tending to doubt it.
Some clutch so steadfastly and blindly to their ignorance of the facts, logic and reason as if it's all they've got. Hey, wait a minute....

Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Navarette was here for several years at the Dallas Morning News -- he clearly has an agenda - and I would say his is much more nefarious than anything a patriotic Lou Dobbs could imagine.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Some clutch so steadfastly and blindly to their ignorance of the facts, logic and reason as if it's all they've got. Hey, wait a minute....
Here we go again, with more of that sarcasm...GOOD point....LOTS of 'hate' too...just the way I like it.....(in this case, you're demonstrating your obvious hatred of the ill-informed)..

Let me add ANOTHER group....some of these posters are so hard-headed and devoid of compassion, that facts, logic, and reason really ARE all they've got !
What's this world coming to?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or