Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times

Advertisements

It's misleading to lump all immigrants together. Undocumenteds are not the same, and have not earned the same, status as the documented and legal.

I think many apologists for the undocumented are seeking to blur the lines, and in effect helping the true xenophobes to poison the public against legals. Which should be any immigration policy's #1 priority: Legals should have priority, and more protection and rights, than undocumenteds and illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
It's misleading to lump all immigrants together. Undocumenteds are not the same, and have not earned the same, status as the documented and legal.

I think many apologists for the undocumented are seeking to blur the lines, and in effect helping the true xenophobes to poison the public against legals. Which should be any immigration policy's #1 priority: Legals should have priority, and more protection and rights, than undocumenteds and illegals.
Don't be so quick to judge....some 'categories' require elaborate qualifications, while others include just about anyone who decides to join. It's my belief that an "immigrant" is understood to mean a LEGAL immigrant, just as a "Houseguest" is presumed to be so, at the host's invitation..

But we can't take this for granted. For example, a person may draw thousands of pictures, over many years, and folks will still INSIST "He's no artist, that's for sure". But even the most inept, bumbling 'clod' can EASILY assume the label of "rapist" or "gunman"...even on his VERY FIRST DAY, no training required.

Immigrant?....I'll ALWAYS believe it means 'legal'. Otherwise, you're not legally an immigrant, you're a trespasser. But that's just me....

Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
What Obama was quoted on saying was right on.

Illegal immigration needs to be figured out, and worked on, but dehumanizing the immigrants, making them look evil, and just encouraging anger towards these people makes me feel uncomfortable.

I have been called "pro-illegal" so many times, been told about "my side", and how my comments show my " groups desperation". Fact is, I speak out in support of the people on a more humanitarian level. I don't support or encourage illegal immigration as much as I can just relate to people trying to make it in the world.

I'm uncomfortable as an American of MEXICAN descent, because I see more and more that its becoming okay to badmouth Latinos, who have been a disadvantaged minority group in this country for decades.

People are trying to justify their beliefs and attitudes towards Latinos by trying to completely undermine the groups identity.
"Technically, on the census theyre listed under 'White', so..."
"Argentina has people of European Descent!"
"Miami has rich white Cubans"
"the KKK had a member who's family was from Spain"

I see the Latino identity being attacked to make it ok. I also see the issue of illegal immigration being used to further marginalize Latino issues in this country. And that worries me.

The line between being against illegal immigration and being anti-Hispanic is very blurred in my opinion. Ive seen people drift across that line on several instances, then quickly try to cover by saying, "but I'm not against hispanics or anything!"
Or they talk about that Mexican restaurant they go to all the time, or their vacations in Cancun.

Most of the anti-Latino sentiment is hidden(sometimes badly). Its hidden because its still politically incorrect to show anti-Latino attitudes.
But slowly, it seems like the illegal immigration debate is slowly making it ok to be anti-Latino.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM

[quote=macmeal;3931239]Don't be so quick to judge....some 'categories' require elaborate qualifications, while others include just about anyone who decides to join. It's my belief that an "immigrant" is understood to mean a LEGAL immigrant, just as a "Houseguest" is presumed to be so, at the host's invitation..

But we can't take this for granted. For example, a person may draw thousands of pictures, over many years, and folks will still INSIST "He's no artist, that's for sure". But even the most inept, bumbling 'clod' can EASILY assume the label of "rapist" or "gunman"...even on his VERY FIRST DAY, no training required.

Immigrant?....I'll ALWAYS believe it means 'legal'. Otherwise, you're not legally an immigrant, you're a trespasser. But that's just me....[/quote]

An immigrant is someone who come to this country from another hoping to settle.
Some do it legally, some do it illegally.

But thats what they are. Immigrants.

Immigrant doesn't sound like a criminal enough, so people like to use stronger words. Immigrant just doesn't fit in well enough with rapists, murderers, thiefs, and other criminals these people are compared with.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
[quote=amc760;3955922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't be so quick to judge....some 'categories' require elaborate qualifications, while others include just about anyone who decides to join. It's my belief that an "immigrant" is understood to mean a LEGAL immigrant, just as a "Houseguest" is presumed to be so, at the host's invitation..

Immigrant?....I'll ALWAYS believe it means 'legal'. Otherwise, you're not legally an immigrant, you're a trespasser. But that's just me....[/quote]

An immigrant is someone who come to this country from another hoping to settle.
Some do it legally, some do it illegally.

But thats what they are. Immigrants.

Immigrant doesn't sound like a criminal enough, so people like to use stronger words. Immigrant just doesn't fit in well enough with rapists, murderers, thiefs, and other criminals these people are compared with.
Do us all a favor; please:

Quit lumping in law abiding, legal immigrants with the lawbreaker variety to make the latter look better. Too; illegals are a slap in the face of those who 'played by the rules'

Us anti illegal immigration people are onto you guys' game------it is not working anymore

Old 06-01-2008, 09:44 PM

[quote=ArizonaBear;3956507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

Do us all a favor; please:

Quit lumping in law abiding, legal immigrants with the lawbreaker variety to make the latter look better. Too; illegals are a slap in the face of those who 'played by the rules'

Us anti illegal immigration people are onto you guys' game------it is not working anymore
It is what it is!

Someone driving their car and someone driving their car without a drivers license are both driving their cars.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

It is what it is!

Someone driving their car and someone driving their car without a drivers license are both driving their cars.
And; the latter is illegal.

Your desperation is showing in your defense of illegal immigrants because attitudes are becoming harsher against those lawbreakers.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; the latter is illegal.

Your desperation is showing in your defense of illegal immigrants because attitudes are becoming harsher against those lawbreakers.
desperationnnnnnn....again, you have caught me, Bear. My desperation must be so strong you can taste it.

You usually throw out the D-word when someones arguing a point with you. All I said was an immigrant is an immigrant. Theyre both here for the same reasons, illegal or not.

The only desperation I see is among non-Latinos who think they should be afraid of the fact that in 10-15 years or so, theres going to be a whole lot more AMERICANS of Latino descent.

I have no reason to be desperate. I am neither an illegal immigrant, or a xenophobe.

Do you have a reason to be desperate?

Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times
Those here illegally do not share the same level of respect for the nation they seek protection of that legals do, and tolerance of illegals is a desecration and injustice to the institution and to those who abide by those rules.

The bottom line is citizenship must be earned. It is not an entitlement. Some people understand this and show a respect to that reality. Others subvert it.

The solution must acknowledge and appreciate those who have proven they should earn the protection of the sovereign because they have submitted to that sovereign's jurisdiction by obeying its rules. To do otherwise would be inhumane.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
Those here illegally do not share the same level of respect for the nation they seek protection of that legals do, and tolerance of illegals is a desecration and injustice to the institution and to those who abide by those rules.

The bottom line is citizenship must be earned. It is not an entitlement. Some people understand this and show a respect to that reality. Others subvert it.

The solution must acknowledge and appreciate those who have proven they should earn the protection of the sovereign because they have submitted to that sovereign's jurisdiction by obeying its rules. To do otherwise would be inhumane.
Beautifully stated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration