U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I wish I had a nickel for every job description that said that the requirements included being spanish speaking or fluent in spanish, here in Texas.
What does it mater what a business sets as its hiring requirements?

and what does it have to do with illegal immigration?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What does it mater what a business sets as its hiring requirements?

and what does it have to do with illegal immigration?
It has everything to do with illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries. Hispanic Americans know how to speak English. They have to know English if they were immigrants to become citizens. What these businesses are doing is pandering to Spanish speaking illegal aliens at the expense of discriminating against native English speakers in their hiring practices.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Two mexicans (Texas) came to my husbands company " equipment yard" looking for work (construction) yesterday, broken English, and he told the mexican crane operator (who is legal and has been here for 30 years) that they were illegal and it took too long for them to go to the mexican consulate to get the proper paperwork when it was easier to just cross the border. My husband was not there but the crane operator told them to go back to mexico and get in line and kicked them off of the property. I guess they thought because the crane operator was also mexican he would be compassionate, not so!

BTW-to call ICE would probably have proved futile as two guys are not really of interest when they are working on much larger issues. I would have immediately called ICE.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It has everything to do with illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries. Hispanic Americans know how to speak English. They have to know English if they were immigrants to become citizens. What these businesses are doing is pandering to Spanish speaking illegal aliens at the expense of discriminating against native English speakers in their hiring practices.
If YOU feel that these companies are discriminating against Native english speakers...take them to court.

see how far you get. before they laugh you out of court.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Two mexicans (Texas) came to my husbands company " equipment yard" looking for work (construction) yesterday, broken English, and he told the mexican crane operator (who is legal and has been here for 30 years) that they were illegal and it took too long for them to go to the mexican consulate to get the proper paperwork when it was easier to just cross the border. My husband was not there but the crane operator told them to go back to mexico and get in line and kicked them off of the property. I guess they thought because the crane operator was also mexican he would be compassionate, not so!

BTW-to call ICE would probably have proved futile as two guys are not really of interest when they are working on much larger issues. I would have immediately called ICE.
They didnt actually "Kick" them off the property did they? more like just them just leave...right.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
They didnt actually "Kick" them off the property did they? more like just them just leave...right.
That's a very good observation. Several years ago, my nephew was "thrown in jail" over the weekend. On closer examination, though, he admitted that he'd actually walked from the squad car into the booking area, under his own power....nobody actually "threw" him.

Thanks for pointing this out...

Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 PM

5,939 posts, read 3,237,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Spanish Becoming Language of Miami - AOL News (broken link)

Honestly, this really scares me. This story could be repeated in other parts of the country if something aint done. This is already reality in one neighborhood of the city i live in (Alexandria, VA.)
What exactly is it that "scares" you? Are you scared of light brown people speaking a language that you do not understand? Is that it?

You don't live in Miami, do you? Where have you been? Spanish has been the predominantly spoken language in Miami for decades. Frankly, it's been that way since the 70's after a very large influx of Cuban exiles were welcomed with open arms by every single administration. It should be mentioned, however, that the majority of the early Cuban exiles had white skin. Is that, perhaps, the reason nobody sounded the alarm then? But make no mistake: they spoke Spanish, they were Roman Catholics, conservative to the core and very proud of their Spanish heritage. Where was the outrage and the "fear" back then? I certainly didn't hear it.

Cuban exiles opened a lot of business, worked hard and made Miami grow. Their offspring did assimilate, they learned English, etc. However, they did not forget about their culture, their heritage and "the old country". The newer arrivals come from different areas. They share most of the Cuban exiles characteristics, except perhaps the color of their skin is a few shades darker. Their offspring will assimilate also. Happens all the time.

Where on earth is it written that to be a "real American" you have to be monolingual? How can anyone be certain that someone who speaks Spanish doesn't speak English?

Go ahead and make English "the" official language to make a lot of "alarmed" people feel better.

You still won't be able to control what people speak in the company of family and friends. They might just tell you to mind your own business and kiss their behinds in loud and clear English.

A shrewd merchant or entrepreneur (there's a nice French word for you)
is interested in getting as many customers as possible. If he/she wants to conduct business in Spanish, Yiddish, Creole, or Portuguese in order to make potential customers more comfortable, get repeat business and make more money, that's his prerogative. To force an entrepreneur to conduct business solely in English is ludicrous. Talk about Communism!

An employer can require his new hires to speak more than language the same way he can require computer literacy, a high school diploma, a college degree or certain certifications (i.e. "program manager"). Nobody is "born" knowing how to program a computer, how to speak several languages, how to do accounting or how to argue a case in court.

Firefighters go to the "Fire Academy". Cops go to Police Academy. If they don't pass, they don't get the job. You can take a foreign language in high school, community college or even online. If you don't, because you think it's too hard or because you don't want to, then that's your problem. Why should an employer settle for someone with limited language skills if he/she can hire someone who speaks more than one language?

The world is getting "virtually" smaller every day. Today's economy is global. People in Europe are multilingual. So are a lot of people in Asia. It seems to me monolingual people are going to fall behind.

Please do not give me the "this is America" speech. OK? My father received a purple heart in the Korean War. I was born in New York. I spent quite a few years on active duty. I speak two languages. My cousin speaks three. Her kids speak four. WE are all Americans.

They make me feel like an underachiever, but I know I can learn another language if I try. I just prefer to live in an area where I'll be able to practice it.

If I ever move closer to Gallup, I might just try to learn Navajo. Why? Not sure. Maybe because I can?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
EDnurse:

I will side with Alanboy395 here in that having more than one dominant language is asking for trouble in any nation. Our dominant tongue in the USA is English. Note that outside of Latin America or Spain; Spanish is of little importance whereas English is the lingua franca of the world--------aviation, diplomacy, science and so on.

Too; many 'Latin' types have a sulky/chauvinistic view that their tongues must survive at any cost--------especially in nations where French, Spanish, etc. culture are not dominant. Personally; I sense that said Latins are motivated by fear. To borrow another 'Latin' phrase: when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

E Pluribus Unum: Out of Many; One. Need I say more?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
EDnurse:

I will side with Alanboy395 here in that having more than one dominant language is asking for trouble in any nation. Our dominant tongue in the USA is English. Note that outside of Latin America or Spain; Spanish is of little importance whereas English is the lingua franca of the world--------aviation, diplomacy, science and so on.

Too; many 'Latin' types have a sulky/chauvinistic view that their tongues must survive at any cost--------especially in nations where French, Spanish, etc. culture are not dominant. Personally; I sense that said Latins are motivated by fear. To borrow another 'Latin' phrase: when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

E Pluribus Unum: Out of Many; One. Need I say more?
the only problem is for those unwilling to or unable to understand a different language.

E Pluribus Unum...isnt that Latin?

Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
the only problem is for those unwilling to or unable to understand a different language.
Then do not expect to receive US citizenship. Problem solved.

Quote:
E Pluribus Unum...isnt that Latin?
Many words/phrases in the English language came from elsewhere; so, E Pluribus Unum is just as American as apple pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration