U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They have been turned back in what ways? All we ask is that they assimilate into our culture and language while still retaining their native ones at home if they so choose.
And retain your culture! To be shared, not forced...expanding lives is what assimilation is about, contributing not overthrowing because then, well, you'll lose.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Thats a great assesment of History...Whos History though? Not America's.

The facts are...that for more than 150 years people of color have been fighting to assimilate into the American Culture only to be systematically turned back in so many ways.

Assimilation into Education, Medicine, Politics, employement, Housing, Sports, the Arts and so on and so on and so on.

So your claim that immigrants are not willing, or not fast enough to assimilate to your liking, rings hollow in the Light of facts.
Is this another attempt to conflate legal with illegal, or to compare the plight of American blacks with that of illegal aliens? What “people of color” are you referencing? The lack of assimilation by illegal aliens has no connection to 150 years of Americans fighting for anything.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Thats a great assesment of History...Whos History though? Not America's.

The facts are...that for more than 150 years people of color have been fighting to assimilate into the American Culture only to be systematically turned back in so many ways.

Assimilation into Education, Medicine, Politics, employement, Housing, Sports, the Arts and so on and so on and so on.

So your claim that immigrants are not willing, or not fast enough to assimilate to your liking, rings hollow in the Light of facts.
Oh well. Attitudes change and American 'people of color' (along with ethnic Whites who would be counted as Anglo today, i.e. Irish, Italian and Jewish, etc.) now have the same rights as traditional WASPs.

Flip side: attitudes are hardening against illegal aliens and those who support 'em.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Is this another attempt to conflate legal with illegal, or to compare the plight of American blacks with that of illegal aliens? What “people of color” are you referencing? The lack of assimilation by illegal aliens has no connection to 150 years of Americans fighting for anything.
Are American Black the only people of color in this country...you need to get over this black thing.

If I mean black...I'll say black

Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Are American Black the only people of color in this country...you need to get over this black thing.

150 years ago: Blacks/Mulattoes and American Indians=people of color. Asians oftentimes were counted as 'White'-------especially in the old Jim Crow South (Cheng and Eng Bunker, the Siamese Twins come to mind). Latinos were rare back then and many of them were indeed White despite having Spanish surnames.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:

Then, what “people of color” in this country have been fighting for 150 years? You tell me. Perhaps I missed those history lessons.

And, I will “get over this black thing” when you stop using the plight of blacks to justify illegal immigration. There is no comparison, and I will call you on it each and every time.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:51 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
150 years ago: Blacks/Mulattoes and American Indians=people of color. Asians oftentimes were counted as 'White'-------especially in the old Jim Crow South (Cheng and Eng Bunker, the Siamese Twins come to mind). Latinos were rare back then and many of them were indeed White despite having Spanish surnames.
Actually, it is the Spanish in them that makes them partially white if we are speaking of Mestizo Latinos.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Then, what “people of color” in this country have been fighting for 150 years? You tell me. Perhaps I missed those history lessons.

And, I will “get over this black thing” when you stop using the plight of blacks to justify illegal immigration. There is no comparison, and I will call you on it each and every time.
He needs to get over his "brown" thing.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM

332 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Latinos were rare back then and many of them were indeed White despite having Spanish surnames.
150 years ago were most Hispanics living in the U.S from Spain and Argentina ? If not than most of them were definitely not White even back than, because countries like El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, etc never had a White majority.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
150 years ago were most Hispanics living in the U.S from Spain and Argentina ? If not than most of them were definitely not White even back than, because countries like El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, etc never had a White majority.
People of 'brown' Mexican heritage were pretty rare here in the USA 150 years ago. If anything: quite a few of the 'Mexicans' in our Southwest then were of criollo (mostly unmixed Spanish) lineage. And even today; the further north one goes in Mexico proper; the 'whiter' the people tend to be.

David Farragut; the Naval hero, he would have been counted as Hispanic today due to his father being from Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration