U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 05:32 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
so they come for American money and police protection but have total disgust for the American way of life.

So in addition to stealing our jobs, they're stealing our police? LOL. First time I heard that one.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Sucks, huh?

Seriously though, whats the American race?
There is an American 'race'------along the lines of a Mexican 'race' but here in the USA.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 PM

539 posts, read 1,612,983 times
Hey, AZBear. Having read the posts on another thread, this is dialogue isn't the same as Kele, Mac and yourself. I agree with your point here though. Unless you feel like a great deal of typing, let it go.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
We're having a dicussion about this very article over on the Miami forum: No comments on Foxnews article????

Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
There is an American 'race'------along the lines of a Mexican 'race' but here in the USA.
So since 90 percent of Mexicans are either Indian mixed with spanish, or just full Indian, thats what we usually refer to in the context of racism against mexicans in the united states.

So in the context of racism against americans, is that racism against whites?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
So since 90 percent of Mexicans are either Indian mixed with spanish, or just full Indian, thats what we usually refer to in the context of racism against mexicans in the united states.

So in the context of racism against americans, is that racism against whites?
In many countries: a Yank is a Yank------no matter his ancestral race/ethnicity.

A US 'Hispanic' in Australia is an American, pure and simple whereas said Hispanic's hypothetical Mexican cousin from Mexico City is a 'Mexican'.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In many countries: a Yank is a Yank------no matter his ancestral race/ethnicity.

A US 'Hispanic' in Australia is an American, pure and simple whereas said Hispanic's hypothetical Mexican cousin from Mexico City is a 'Mexican'.
so in the context of racism against Americans, is that racism against whites?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 PM

117 posts, read 282,534 times
Everybody knows Miami is just another Cuba, but in the states and with more food less communism.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,857 times
Default doing business

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
I live in Hialeah, FL, probaly the most spanish speaking city in America. I speak no spanish. I live comfortably. Very few times will someone tell me they speak no english. Miami is something america should try to advance to and that is a global city, a world city, a bilingual society. Theres still alot time left till its set right becasue just like theres some immigrants that speak little or no english theres even more of us that don't speak spanish and other languages.
I spent the winter in South Beach and had some issues with people in stores not speaking English in the Miami area. I think the clerks in stores are often immigrants, not the second generation.

I go to a drug store near Coral Gables and ask for a bathroom scale. Woman leads me to the bathroom. Eventually she finds someone who can help me.

Meanwhile, I am trying to get along. I take a spanish class. It doesn't go well; I have trouble memorizing, the teacher has a strong cuban accent.... the tendency for cuban spanish to drop consonants makes it very difficult for a leaner to understand...

The first bathroom scale doesn't work. I go to a drug store in South Beach. I use english and two or three spanish words for scale that I looked up. None of it works, and I am lead to the bathroom again. When we get to the person that understands, I specifically ask for the correct word. It is not one I found when I looked it up.

I accept that Miami is a spanish speaking place. I am there because it is a city, it is hot in the winter, and it has good air connections. But claiming that it is bilingual is a bit of a stretch. I can find people that speak english in Paris, but that doesn't make it bilingual. Miami Beach maybe... Miami - I don't think so.

Second rant: "global city, world city..." This nonsense irritates me more than the bilingual nonsense. It is a Latin city. There is much more to the world than that. People talk about it being diverse. It is Latin, with just a few others mixed in. Tourists (like me ) don't count. Summers I am in Toronto. This really is a diverse city. Guess what? When you _really do_ have people from all over the world, English becomes the language you have in common.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:33 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
Quote:
so in the context of racism against Americans, is that racism against whites?
Not in this discussion, no. We're talking about Hispanics in Miami here, not about Mexicans in Texas or California. There are very few Mexicans in Miami and since the majority of Hispanics in Miami are white (just like the non-Hispanic whites) any kind of negative treatment directed at non-Hispanic white Americans due to their national origin or non-Hispanic ancestry can't be called racism; it must be called something else like discrimination or prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration