U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 PM

23,053 posts, read 32,071,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
how did this thread turned into one of illegal immigration when it is about Spanish? Believe it or not the vast majority of hispanics in Miami are here legally and it's Mexican population is low since there is no land border but a water one. Most illegals in Miami are people who overstay their visas and ironically my brother had a friend who was an illegal who had been living & working in the US on a tourist Visa he had overtayed for over a decade. He was from Poland so nobody suspected anything and spoke perfect English!
Look here, i'm the OP. This thread was made by me to show the effect that legal Immigration without the standard of speaking english and illegal immigration was doing to the culture of one major US city. I believe that the majority of Miami hispanics are here legally. I could care less if an illegal either hopped a border or overstayed a visa. Illegal is illegal. This thread was a example of the havoc that the refusal to learn english by a large population can throw any city into chaos. I do agree with the fact that more attention needs to be paid to the non-hispanic illegals but face it most illegals are hispanic and they're the biggest group of immigrants we have who refuse to learn english.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,178,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
This may be true if you're looking for labor work, but for professional employment some Spanish, is usually enough.
So in your mind American labor is just SOL?? Typical from you, sorry to say...

Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 PM

117 posts, read 282,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGringo View Post
Bilingual in Miami means "NO ANGLOS"

It is usually used as a simple way to discriminate against English speakers where the job does not require Spanish in any meaningful sense.

Manpower Miami takes it further and lists "Spanish as a Mother Tongue" on their requirements, meaning that regardless of one's fluency, if you weren't born to it, don't bother.

I don't know any other city in the US where the job and social discrimination is so blatant. It's getting impossible to live here.
excuse me? Most of my family members live in Miami and they can't get good jobs because their English isn't good enough!

And apart from Miami, Hispanics are discriminated all through the US and mocked for our accent when we do speak English.

Perhaps you guys deserve a little payback.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,638,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
excuse me? Most of my family members live in Miami and they can't get good jobs because their English isn't good enough!

And apart from Miami, Hispanics are discriminated all through the US and mocked for our accent when we do speak English.

Yes, that's the important thing.....we've GOT to go for that payback. It worked in Bosnia, and it'll work here.

As for the Hispanics being 'discriminated', it's possible....but "all through the US?"....EVERYWHERE?...hmmmm. I've got DOZENS of Hispanic in-laws and relatives.....they don't SEEM to be suffering too much. But I promise to 'keep an eye' on them, for signs of mistreatment. Maybe I can help them get some kind of 'payback' going...

Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM

117 posts, read 282,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, that's the important thing.....we've GOT to go for that payback. It worked in Bosnia, and it'll work here.

As for the Hispanics being 'discriminated', it's possible....but "all through the US?"....EVERYWHERE?...hmmmm. I've got DOZENS of Hispanic in-laws and relatives.....they don't SEEM to be suffering too much. But I promise to 'keep an eye' on them, for signs of mistreatment. Maybe I can help them get some kind of 'payback' going...

Yes we are. Maybe not your family (they may be from different origins or speak proper english) but I can say mine have had lots of problems. Even now I still get in trouble with people who don't like me because I'm Hispanic.

And I didn't mean war of anything, you guys still have the rest of the US.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Quote:

Payback?

If a person is here illegally; no matter their race/ethnicity--------they need to leave the USA.

As for why so many 'Latinos' seem to have trouble with the English language as you are implying; please explain why Asians who come here (most legally to boot) @ age 12 on down tend to be fluent in English by age 18?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Quote:

Payback from foreigners while we're in our own country? How absurd is that?

If you want to pay back Americans moving to Cuba -- that's your business, but don't come here hating and despising Americans the way you obviously do. You are the guests here and seem to be quite ungrateful.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,178,995 times
Quote:

Yes we are. Maybe not your family (they may be from different origins or speak proper english) but I can say mine have had lots of problems. Even now I still get in trouble with people who don't like me because I'm Hispanic.

And I didn't mean war of anything, you guys still have the rest of the US.
I beg your pardon, Americans still have ALL of the US, and when people start slinging around the idea of taking some of it over it tends to raise a REAL American's hackles.

And maybe people don't like you because of your 'victim' attitude rather than your ethnicity, did you ever think of that?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:30 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,505,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Miami and El Paso show that assimilation isn't happening. Both these towns are becoming more Spanish speaking not less. Miami began taking in Cuban refugees in the 1950's and 1960's and after 50-60 years they are not learning English.
biggest bold faced lie ever posted on this forum. Please explain how I a descendant of Cuban immigrants speak perfect English while my Spanish is so so? Both of my parents became naturalized citizens and my father knew English even before he came here. How? English was taught in Cuba ya know?
The Cubans who came here in the 50s & 60s are either dead or very old and the community is onto it's second & third generations who speak English as their primary language and many don't even speak Spanish!

Cubans are not the issue but the newly arrived immigrants from other parts of central & South America. Do some research before you go spewing false premises.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:53 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,800,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
biggest bold faced lie ever posted on this forum. Please explain how I a descendant of Cuban immigrants speak perfect English while my Spanish is so so? Both of my parents became naturalized citizens and my father knew English even before he came here. How? English was taught in Cuba ya know?
The Cubans who came here in the 50s & 60s are either dead or very old and the community is onto it's second & third generations who speak English as their primary language and many don't even speak Spanish!

Cubans are not the issue but the newly arrived immigrants from other parts of central & South America. Do some research before you go spewing false premises.
Be prepared...because you'll see a lot of that around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration