U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:07 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times

Advertisements

Here's a bit of research from today -- garbage was picked up today by a city truck which had only Spanish on the side...

Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
biggest bold faced lie ever posted on this forum. Please explain how I a descendant of Cuban immigrants speak perfect English while my Spanish is so so? Both of my parents became naturalized citizens and my father knew English even before he came here. How? English was taught in Cuba ya know?
The Cubans who came here in the 50s & 60s are either dead or very old and the community is onto it's second & third generations who speak English as their primary language and many don't even speak Spanish!

Cubans are not the issue but the newly arrived immigrants from other parts of central & South America. Do some research before you go spewing false premises.
Miami was once an English speaking city where Americans were able to find jobs. Those in control over Miami now are encouraging much of this change of language and I would suspect that many of those are Cubans who benefit financially in some way by having the city become "theirs".

Read the post made a couple posts back by how the American people deserve some "payback" and that Americans still have "the rest of the US", which I notice did not trouble you in the least.

Now explain why Americans who generously offered the Cubans and others a very nice country to live in when their own went bad on them, a good economy with refugee programs to boot to help them get a fresh start in our country, should not be offended when our charity was taken to mean we're chumps who should have our country or a portion of it taken from us and for all our generousity it's now time for "payback".

Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM

985 posts, read 3,190,358 times
Default Matamule

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Miami was once an English speaking city where Americans were able to find jobs. Those in control over Miami now are encouraging much of this change of language and I would suspect that many of those are Cubans who benefit financially in some way by having the city become "theirs".

Read the post made a couple posts back by how the American people deserve some "payback" and that Americans still have "the rest of the US", which I notice did not trouble you in the least.

Now explain why Americans who generously offered the Cubans and others a very nice country to live in when their own went bad on them, a good economy with refugee programs to boot to help them get a fresh start in our country, should not be offended when our charity was taken to mean we're chumps who should have our country or a portion of it taken from us and for all our generousity it's now time for "payback".
Malamute, malamute.
Have you really read what MiamiRob wrote?

Read carefully the post(s) you want to reply to before you actually post your reply.

Can't you stay on line? You seem to jump from one thing to another. MiamiRob was driving one one track, you on another.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:45 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Malamute, malamute.
Have you really read what MiamiRob wrote?

Read carefully the post(s) you want to reply to before you actually post your reply.

Can't you stay on line? You seem to jump from one thing to another. MiamiRob was driving one one track, you on another.

Both of you seem to be ignoring the topic -- which is the discrimination against Americans in Miami, and one poster actually came out and admitted that it's "payback" time which you both seem to have no problem with.

Americans very charitably allowed in refugees from failed hispanic countries, only to now be told it's payback time, that it's time they are denied jobs in their own country, and that "we still have the rest of the USA". That sounds extremely ungrateful to me. What other country would have taken in so many refugees and if not for the USA and very generous Americans, where would the Miami hispanics be?

So you agree that Americans should have a rough life in Miami because it's time we be paid back for our generosity?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Both of you seem to be ignoring the topic -- which is the discrimination against Americans in Miami, and one poster actually came out and admitted that it's "payback" time which you both seem to have no problem with.

Americans very charitably allowed in refugees from failed hispanic countries, only to now be told it's payback time, that it's time they are denied jobs in their own country, and that "we still have the rest of the USA". That sounds extremely ungrateful to me. What other country would have taken in so many refugees and if not for the USA and very generous Americans, where would the Miami hispanics be?

So you agree that Americans should have a rough life in Miami because it's time we be paid back for our generosity?
Our Benicar made the comment some weeks ago that it is 'acceptable' to lick the hand that slaps you (patron vs. peon in Mexico) but not to acknowledge the hand that feeds you here in the USA------many (presumably illegal) Latinos seem to to have that mentality.

That 'payback' attitude should be directed to the elite back home----not in the USA

Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 PM

50 posts, read 279,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
excuse me? Most of my family members live in Miami and they can't get good jobs because their English isn't good enough!

And apart from Miami, Hispanics are discriminated all through the US and mocked for our accent when we do speak English and maybe show a little gratitude for the country that took them in when their "mother" country couldn't.

Perhaps you guys deserve a little payback.
Payback? For what? For taking you in?

Here's the deal. I speak Spanish, fluently, and English, fluently. Now I have no idea why your family can't get a good job, but I would suggest they improve their English.

But in Miami, "mother tongue" means your name better end in a vowel. It has nothing to do with language ability. And that's wrong. We don't need the introduction of new discrimination, thank you very much.

Payback, indeed.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post

And I didn't mean war of anything, you guys still have the rest of the US.
That may be the most bigoted comment I have seen in a public forum.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Please explain how I a descendant of Cuban immigrants speak perfect English while my Spanish is so so?
Yet with your so-so Spanish, your hispanic name and Cubanismo will trump a college educated Spanish fluent anglo in most bilingual "required" jobs. Which is entirely my point here - "bilingual in Miami" means "Hispanic Only"

Quote:
Cubans are not the issue but the newly arrived immigrants from other parts of central & South America. Do some research before you go spewing false premises.
It's the Cubans who control the hiring in Miami, even in the national companies. In one interview for me, I was asked how I felt about the embargo. The position was for a tech writer.

In fact, just last month, a friend of mine who immigrated from Mexico (legally for those who care) as a farmworker and who has advanced degrees and over 30 years in international business was told during an interview at a major firm, "Mexico has maintained tight relationships with Castro through the years" and knew right away that the conversation was over. The guy was 14 when he immigrated but he wasn't Cuban. He was appalled. Fortunately, their competitor hired him (outside Miami).

Sorry, it is a Miami Cuban issue this thing of weeding out applicants by "mother tongue".

Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGringo View Post
Payback? For what? For taking you in?

Here's the deal. I speak Spanish, fluently, and English, fluently. Now I have no idea why your family can't get a good job, but I would suggest they improve their English.

But in Miami, "mother tongue" means your name better end in a vowel. It has nothing to do with language ability. And that's wrong. We don't need the introduction of new discrimination, thank you very much.

Payback, indeed.
I catch your drift......

Although: many stereotypical 'Hispanic' surnames end in consonants; Rodriguez, Martinez, Beltran and a few others come to mind.

And: there are scads of 'Anglo' names that end in vowels; McKenna, Calabrese, Rizzo, Osborne, etc.

My bio surname sounds extremely Hispanic------never mind that I am Nordic White with my father hailing from Hungary.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:04 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
I live on the beach and am a student and work in hotels/bars. I have encountered so much rudeness because I can't speak spanish. Its amazing, it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration