U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I catch your drift......

Although: many stereotypical 'Hispanic' surnames end in consonants; Rodriguez, Martinez, Beltran and a few others come to mind.

And: there are scads of 'Anglo' names that end in vowels; McKenna, Calabrese, Rizzo, Osborne, etc.

My bio surname sounds extremely Hispanic------never mind that I am Nordic White with my father hailing from Hungary.
I would say common surnames, instead of stereotypical.

And Rizzo and Calabrese sound Italian to me, instead of "anglo".

Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
here already is. here its a given that if you speak both languages chances of gettin hired are better. more for less. employers asking more and more (advanced degrees, so forth computer skills, language) for less. need a labor movement bad. requirements go up but not salaries.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Puerto Rico is also part of the United States and Puerto Ricans Speak Spanish and Puerto Ricans are all over the United States, so they shouldnt be considered as part of the country??? There's your answer to why Spanish is also spoken and so important in this country. EQUAL RIGHTS. If black people got to be official citizens why cant everyone else? just because immigrants come here to work hard to sustain their families and themselves if not they die? huh? Many people wouldnt understand.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth not accepted View Post
Puerto Rico is also part of the United States and Puerto Ricans Speak Spanish and Puerto Ricans are all over the United States, so they shouldnt be considered as part of the country??? There's your answer to why Spanish is also spoken and so important in this country. EQUAL RIGHTS. If black people got to be official citizens why cant everyone else? just because immigrants come here to work hard to sustain their families and themselves if not they die? huh? Many people wouldnt understand.
The descendants of the slaves are here legally---------their Black ancestors were brought here against their collective wills.

As for the Mexicans, etc. here illegally-----------they willingly crossed into the USA.

There is a difference.

As for Spanish usage here: English the language of choice of most Americans so deal with it.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM

87 posts, read 114,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Spanish Becoming Language of Miami - AOL News (broken link)

Honestly, this really scares me. This story could be repeated in other parts of the country if something aint done. This is already reality in one neighborhood of the city i live in (Alexandria, VA.)
More American need to wake up!

Deport the illegal aliens from America and there would be little need for translators. Only baby sitters for their illegitimate children, I suggest government orphanges. It would be cheaper on the taxpayers to support only one rather than the whole illegal alien family on Welfare. We could then educate them to be Proud Americans and have only allegiance to the United States of America!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
As long as wealthy blue hairs migrate to Florida I'm not concerned. If the help wants to speak Spanish so be it. Speaking Spanish in America is the largest handicap you can have in the business world for most jobs and 95% or so of GOOD paying jobs.

Whatever, continue avoiding the middle class, we are ok with it. It's called "lowering the bar"

Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM

197 posts, read 231,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sadly, Alanboy, this phenomenon has existed in South Florida, mainly Miami, for many many years and our leaders have chosen to ignore it. Similar to Los Angeles, some areas of Miami look like a "third world" war zone with many residents blatantly refusing to assimilate much less learn to speak English.

Bottom line . . . THEIR LOSS because they will always remain "second class citizens" which is what they claim they wanted to avoid when they emigrated here.
Spanish is also very prevalent in the most exclusive neighborhoods of Florida, trailer parks are more english-prevalent

Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM

433 posts, read 817,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Spanish is also very prevalent in the most exclusive neighborhoods of Florida, trailer parks are more english-prevalent
LOL, that's totally true. But I do believe that Miami population in general is more leaned toward spanish language.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
I agree speaking only spanish or any foreign language is the biggest handicap in life other than physical .

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
But obviously not very good Spanish----------apparently, the local Spanish language TV stations wind up importing people from Argentina for that very reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration