Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times

Advertisements

They are getting the nation they deserve . I remember Miami when it was a beautiful paradise very clean and movie stars lived there . Now it is not only not pretty but dangerous as well . They don't call it Little Havana for nothing . I do enjoy7 the fact that now Little Havana has to move over for Little Somalia . LOL. I hear Obama will bring in hundreds of 1000s more under refuge statas . Do you know what one ' earns ' in welfare when considered a refuee ? About $50 yr. when you count all the freebees .

Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Some parts of Dade County are still places where movie stars live, and some parts of Miami, which were likely built after the golden age you are thinking of, are dangerous (and were especially so in the 1980s due to the drug trade) - but I think it had to do with business ties and not simply letting in immigrants legally.

Plus this is a forum about illegal immigration, and in Miami's case the immigrants were all legal. This thread needs to be moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
They are getting the nation they deserve . I remember Miami when it was a beautiful paradise very clean and movie stars lived there . Now it is not only not pretty but dangerous as well . They don't call it Little Havana for nothing . I do enjoy7 the fact that now Little Havana has to move over for Little Somalia . LOL. I hear Obama will bring in hundreds of 1000s more under refuge statas . Do you know what one ' earns ' in welfare when considered a refuee ? About $50 yr. when you count all the freebees .

Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 PM

79 posts, read 76,559 times
I lived in Miami and in reality, many people who don't fit the mold there are going to have a rough time. It's now a Cuban city ran by Cubans for Cubans. I wasted 2 years of my life in that god-forsaken city that I will never get back. I have never witnessed a city containing such a high count of complete and utter human scum.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
malamute a Magyar?!? My father was a legal immigrant from Hungary.
Well -- imagine how Americans or other people living and benefitting from this great country will communicate when they all do as the Cubans and hang onto their own language and refuse to learn the language of this country.

There's a reason to have a common language but too many of the new immigrants coming now have no desire to learn English, assimilate and adapt to our ways.

You wonder why they bothered coming here in the first place, they want to live just like they did back home, remain separate from the rest of the USA but have access to all the government handouts -- of course.

There is no unity without a common language. Most immigrants from other countries do see the need to learn English and so they do - and they don't expect us to learn all their languages and dialects.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Imagine this - some guy from India here was BRAGGING about his country being the biggest English speaking nation on earth. He was commenting how in his country that people were learning the advantage in having a common language - and it was English and English is helping them advance and develop while here in the USA we're deciding to have groups that cannot speak with one another. And sadly there was nothing to say back because he is right - we're going backwards by encouraging various groups to hang onto "their own languages" and dialects, while other countries will become strong by having a common language and people in that country able to communicate.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Imagine this - some guy from India here was BRAGGING about his country being the biggest English speaking nation on earth. He was commenting how in his country that people were learning the advantage in having a common language - and it was English and English is helping them advance and develop while here in the USA we're deciding to have groups that cannot speak with one another. And sadly there was nothing to say back because he is right - we're going backwards by encouraging various groups to hang onto "their own languages" and dialects, while other countries will become strong by having a common language and people in that country able to communicate.
Memo to the multiculturalists: follow (E) Indian way here in the USA

Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
yes....but at least we'll be a "fun" society. Being strong and united isn't everything....

PS....a few years back, I recall having read that India published more books, in English, than any other country on earth. Partially due to the widespread use of English, I suppose...plus the huge population. English is a VERY important language in India, and often allows people from distant parts of the country to communicate with each other when they otherwise couldn't.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:21 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Malamute: Did you use an automatic translator, or do you really know the language? (I suspect the former)

As an aside, City-data.com is a private internet forum and it could say "we only accept posts in English" - But the federal and state governments, to my knowledge, cannot force business owners to put signs in English or to provide services to English. I'll look up some court cases and I'll see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Wrong ! Many of the people in Miami came over illegally and everyone knows it ! Just because they were given amnesty doesn't mean they weren't illegals before they touched shore . Even the cubans laugh and know this .

Remove post because you don't agree with others ?
There are people who illegally crossed into the United States via Florida (AFAIK they are mostly Haitians) and people who crossed legally but had visas expire.

However, Pappy, the point is that illegal immigration is not the cause of the language issues in Miami. If it were documented as the main factor or even a significant factor of the language issues, then maybe there would be a point to keeping this thread in the illegal immigration forum. But that isn't the case, so this thread belongs in another place. The language issues in Miami have to do with unique business ties, not illegal immigration.

BTW "Remove post because you don't agree with others ?" is wrong - you should have said "Move post to the right place because this thread is irrelevant to the illegal immigration debate"

Quote:
Well -- imagine how Americans or other people living and benefitting from this great country will communicate when they all do as the Cubans and hang onto their own language and refuse to learn the language of this country.
The Miami school district still teaches in English - it's just that the people who know both English and Spanish in Miami are preferring to speak Spanish amongst themselves. It leaves people who only know English out of the loop somewhat.

Last edited by Vicman; 03-28-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 08:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Malamute: Did you use an automatic translator, or do you really know the language? (I suspect the former)

As an aside, City-data.com is a private internet forum and it could say "we only accept posts in English" - But the federal and state governments, to my knowledge, cannot force business owners to put signs in English or to prove services to English. I'll look up some court cases and I'll see what I can find.

There are people who illegally crossed into the United States via Florida (AFAIK they are mostly Haitians) and people who crossed legally but had visas expire.

However, Pappy, the point is that illegal immigration is not the cause of the language issues in Miami. If it were documented as the main factor or even a significant factor of the language issues, then maybe there would be a point to keeping this thread in the illegal immigration forum. But that isn't the case, so this thread belongs in another place. The language issues in Miami have to do with unique business ties, not illegal immigration.

BTW "Remove post because you don't agree with others ?" is wrong - you should have said "Move post to the right place because this thread is irrelevant to the illegal immigration debate"

The Miami school district still teaches in English - it's just that the people who know both English and Spanish in Miami are preferring to speak Spanish amongst themselves. It leaves people who only know English out of the loop somewhat.

Maybe so, not sure .

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

As an aside, City-data.com is a private internet forum and it could say "we only accept posts in English" - But the federal and state governments, to my knowledge, cannot force business owners to put signs in English or to prove services to English. I'll look up some court cases and I'll see what I can find.

Apparently; the 'Spanish' being spoken by the younger generation in Miami is not good------------to the point that the Spanish language TV stations need to import anchors from Argentina, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration