Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Spanish in the US is Americanized. Cultural influences are a two way street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Apparently; the 'Spanish' being spoken by the younger generation in Miami is not good------------to the point that the Spanish language TV stations need to import anchors from Argentina, etc.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,558,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- imagine how Americans or other people living and benefitting from this great country will communicate when they all do as the Cubans and hang onto their own language and refuse to learn the language of this country.

There's a reason to have a common language but too many of the new immigrants coming now have no desire to learn English, assimilate and adapt to our ways.

You wonder why they bothered coming here in the first place, they want to live just like they did back home, remain separate from the rest of the USA but have access to all the government handouts -- of course.

There is no unity without a common language. Most immigrants from other countries do see the need to learn English and so they do - and they don't expect us to learn all their languages and dialects.
Oh sorry but being from Cuban descent I can tell you that is not true. My dad spoke English well since he studied at U of M in the 50s and was fluent in English. Being born here along with my siblings English is my first language however I retain Spanish especially when speaking to the older generation.
My neices & nephews have hispanic surnames but haven't learned Spanish at all so there goes your arguement of not assimilating.

I always growing up felt a real sense of resentment by "white anglos" towards Cubans because they were upset at seeing the cultural changes going on in addition to become politically & economically powerful.

Cubans are very well educated and asserted themselves in Miami and did achieve the "American Dream" for the most part. There is a naive asumption that children of hispanic immigrants don't learn English and as I said before this has nothing to do with "illegals" but a fear of cultural & linguistic change.
Again the situation is different in Miami than if you are dealing with poor uneducated illegal workers who become slaves to manual labor like in the southwest.

Last edited by MiamiRob; 03-28-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 AM

332 posts, read 644,036 times
Quote:
Well -- imagine how Americans or other people living and benefitting from this great country will communicate when they all do as the Cubans and hang onto their own language and refuse to learn the language of this country.

There's a reason to have a common language but too many of the new immigrants coming now have no desire to learn English, assimilate and adapt to our ways.

You wonder why they bothered coming here in the first place, they want to live just like they did back home, remain separate from the rest of the USA but have access to all the government handouts -- of course.

There is no unity without a common language. Most immigrants from other countries do see the need to learn English and so they do - and they don't expect us to learn all their languages and dialects.
The U.S is now a salad bowl society remember. There is no need to learn the host country's language and assimilate in a salad bowl society. A salad bowl society preaches the extreme opposite of assimilation.

In the salad bowl model, various American cultures are juxtaposed like salad ingredients, but do not merge together into a single homogenous culture. Each culture keeps its own distinct qualities.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And the irony is that English NOT Spanish is fast becoming the language to know everywhere. Even in the Arabic Middle East; English is making serious inroads against the indigenous tongue amongst the moneyed classes.

MinnPost - Is Arabic a dying language?
Well the mod gave me an infraction for posting in a language other than English -- what irony. Here others are promoting the division of people living in this country by language. Inability to understand and communicate with one another is the goal of certain powers that be -- but apparently not on city-data forums!

Okay no more Tower of Babel stuff from me!!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
The U.S is now a salad bowl society remember. There is no need to learn the host country's language and assimilate in a salad bowl society. A salad bowl society preaches the extreme opposite of assimilation.

In the salad bowl model, various American cultures are juxtaposed like salad ingredients, but do not merge together into a single homogenous culture. Each culture keeps its own distinct qualities.
Because "divided we fall".

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Because "divided we fall".
Our liberal masters want us to fall. A country united by 1 common language is considered racist in their minds. Ofcourse they only consider it racist in the case of the U.S They don't call Mexico racist for being a country where everybody is united by 1 common language. Liberals and the la raza crowd are such hypocrites.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Our liberal masters want us to fall. A country united by 1 common language is considered racist in their minds. Ofcourse they only consider it racist in the case of the U.S They don't call Mexico racist for being a country where everybody is united by 1 common language. Liberals and the la raza crowd are such hypocrites.

Actually Mexico has an official language of Spanish, whereas the US does not have an official language.

Mexico also recognizes 60+ other indigenous languages.

Did You Know? Sixty-two indigenous languages still spoken in Mexico : Mexico Living

Quote:
The largest indigenous groups (with their approximate numbers in 1997 in parentheses) are those speaking Nahuatl (2,563,000), Maya (1,490,000), Zapotec (785,000) and Mixtec (764,000), followed by those using Otomí (566,000), Tzeltal (547,000) and Tzotzil (514,000). Other well known groups include the 204,000 having Purépecha (or Tarasco) as their first language and the 122,000 speaking Tarahumara.
another excerpt:

Quote:
And, of course, we shouldn't forget, before we close the subject of languages, that many Mexicans not only speak Spanish and one or another indigenous language, but also manage pretty well in English, French, Japanese and many other languages!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
And, of course, we shouldn't forget, before we close the subject of languages, that many Mexicans not only speak Spanish and one or another indigenous language, but also manage pretty well in English, French, Japanese and many other languages!
I have never met an illegal immigrant from Mexico who speaks French or Japanese. Hell most of them do not even have a great grasp of the English language, let alone French or Japanese. The odds that the illegal immigrant working minimum wage at the El Pollo Loco restaurant in East Los Angeles, speaks French or Japanese is slim to none.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Actually Mexico has an official language of Spanish, whereas the US does not have an official language.

Mexico also recognizes 60+ other indigenous languages.

Did You Know? Sixty-two indigenous languages still spoken in Mexico : Mexico Living

another excerpt:
No, Spanish is not the "official" langauge of Mexico. It is the national language. Many countries do however have an "official" langauge and I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times
Quote:
I have never met an illegal immigrant from Mexico who speaks French or Japanese. Hell most of them do not even have a great grasp of the English language, let alone French or Japanese. The odds that the illegal immigrant working minimum wage at the El Pollo Loco restaurant in East Los Angeles, speaks French or Japanese is slim to none.
Exactly! Some of the elite of Mexico perhaps speak languages other than Spanish but not the poor illegals that are coming here. Most of them don't even make it out of grade school. Spanish is still the "national" language of Mexico just like English is the "national" language of the USA but neither are the "official" languages of either country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.