Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Not in this discussion, no. We're talking about Hispanics in Miami here, not about Mexicans in Texas or California. There are very few Mexicans in Miami and since the majority of Hispanics in Miami are white (just like the non-Hispanic whites) any kind of negative treatment directed at non-Hispanic white Americans due to their national origin or non-Hispanic ancestry can't be called racism; it must be called something else like discrimination or prejudice.
Remember too that on a genetic level: most Spaniards/Portuguese are the same actual ethnicity as people from the British Isles and Ireland.

The men carry the R1B 'Y' Chromosome

Also, many New World Anglos and Hispanics (of any actual race) have R1B as well due to their paternal lineage.

What startled me is even I have R1B------apparently, 20% of all Hungarian males have that Chromosome variant as well.

R1B started out in northern Spain 30K years ago in the vicinity of the Caves of Alta Mira.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:11 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
<--- Fellow carrier of the R1B chromosome

Old 05-31-2008, 10:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Sucks, huh?

Seriously though, whats the American race?
When Mexicans proclaim they are a race or hispanics claim they are a race -- la raza, because they come from Spanish speaking countries, then American would be a race too. The American race: people with ties to the USA, whose allegience is to the USA, who speak English, and whose culture includes pilgrims and American patriots, 4th of July.

Otherwise -- what is "race" really about especially when it comes to la raza claiming some special race status for itself? A special race status entitling them to unlimited immigration, rights to demand citizenship as a reward for breaking our laws and bring their own culture here instead of appreciating ours.

There are reasons you don't see people having the same problem with people immigrating from India who show a willingness to speak English -- first generation, or the Vietnamese who quickly assimilated and showed an eager willingness to learn English. Same goes for Filipinos who don't require "Press one" for their own language.

The minute someone objects to having American cities turned into Spanish speaking cities they are called racists so that certainly implies speaking English and holding American culture makes for a race also.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
so in the context of racism against Americans, is that racism against whites?
It would be a racism against people whose allegience is to the USA and who are culturally American. When English speaking Americans are denied jobs they are qualified to do simply because they don't speak some foreign language or aren't of the la raza race, that is most certainly anti-American discrimination. Any biological race and ethncity can assimilate into American culture and speak English.

What is "race" supposed to mean anyhow? Some kind of common bond that holds a group of people together? Some kind of cultural trait, wishing to belong or belonging to a nation of people with it's own history, language and culture?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:50 AM

As malamute stated.

Side note: I know a lady from Cambodia; she came here as a refugee @ age 10 (Sandy is now age 41) yet speaks 99% fluent English.....with a slight Southern twang.

Yet: I have met many US born 'Hispanics' living on maybe one block long streets who are surrounded by 'Anglo' neighborhoods but the former have foreign accents to their English. Why is that, rhetorically speaking?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
I don't know, but I know what you mean. There's something that lots of people where I grew up like to call a "Miami accent." It's basically an accent that a fluent English speaker has in which certain words are pronounced with a slight Latin accent (as if you were speaking Spanish). The funny thing is that I have heard a Miami accent on people who are not even Hispanic. I went to school with a girl who spoke with a slight "Miami accent" and people were confused because they thought she sounded "Hispanic" when she pronounced certain things. I have to admit that once in a while (especially when excited or upset) I have a little bit of a Miami accent, but other than that I speak unaccented American English. I few people in NYC have told me that they would normally have no idea where I was from (no NY, Midwestern, or Southern accent) if it wasn't for my Miami accent that comes out every now and then

A "Hispanic-sounding" accent when speaking fluent English really has little to do with assimilating. If you speak fluent English, for what more can someone ask? That you sound like you're from Iowa?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:06 PM

I don't think accents really bother anyone. Would an American be denied a job in an American city for having an American accent? I don't think that's the problem.

I knew a guy born in Cuba who did the assimilation better than just about anyone. If you didn't know he was from Cuba, you could have thought you just met up with the biggest southern redneck around. He not only picked up the southern twang, he picked up just about every quaint phrase a southerner would ever use. People like that can fit in wherever they go.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:18 PM

50 posts, read 304,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I was looking at temp jobs in Miami and every single posting had the requirement of being bi or tri-lingual. And these are for $10-$15/hr jobs and they were not for customer service. This severely limits your choices for jobs in the Miami area if you are not bi-lingual. Since the average American is not bilingual, their job field is reduced if they have no working knowledge of Spanish. Chances are I will not be able to find an office job in Hialeah.
Bilingual in Miami means "NO ANGLOS"

It is usually used as a simple way to discriminate against English speakers where the job does not require Spanish in any meaningful sense.

Manpower Miami takes it further and lists "Spanish as a Mother Tongue" on their requirements, meaning that regardless of one's fluency, if you weren't born to it, don't bother.

I don't know any other city in the US where the job and social discrimination is so blatant. It's getting impossible to live here.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:28 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As malamute stated.

Side note: I know a lady from Cambodia; she came here as a refugee @ age 10 (Sandy is now age 41) yet speaks 99% fluent English.....with a slight Southern twang.

Yet: I have met many US born 'Hispanics' living on maybe one block long streets who are surrounded by 'Anglo' neighborhoods but the former have foreign accents to their English. Why is that, rhetorically speaking?
Some Mexican-Americans have an accent of speaking..isn't necessarily Spanish, just some kind of accent.
Kind of like how some Black people have a way of talking, or someone in New England, or New York, or Southern Accents.
Go find a Cambodian who instead of growing up among white people lives out in the hood of Long Beach. I'm sure she won't be as accent-less(i.e. white sounding).

We went over this before. Besides, whats so bad about an accent if the person's talking English? Whats the right accent?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGringo View Post
Bilingual in Miami means "NO ANGLOS"

It is usually used as a simple way to discriminate against English speakers where the job does not require Spanish in any meaningful sense.

Manpower Miami takes it further and lists "Spanish as a Mother Tongue" on their requirements, meaning that regardless of one's fluency, if you weren't born to it, don't bother.

I don't know any other city in the US where the job and social discrimination is so blatant. It's getting impossible to live here.
Interesting what the ACLU will say; if anything.

That is bald faced discrimination------and, highly illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration