U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: If you thought of illegal Mexicans as Native-American Indians does it change your opinion of their r
Yes 1 1.89%
No 50 94.34%
Somewhat 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,310 posts, read 25,741,801 times
Reputation: 10574

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If you thought that most of the illegals from Mexico were Native Americans, would that change your opinion of their rights to be here?
What a ridiculous illogical theory, Mach!

Considering my heritage is English does NOT give me the right to enter England ILLEGALLY and demand rights and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Reputation: 3785
Of course not.

The USA has had dominion over its present territory since 1898.

Any people who are here illegally need to return to their home countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,068 posts, read 15,505,802 times
Reputation: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
What a ridiculous illogical theory, Mach!

Considering my heritage is English does NOT give me the right to enter England ILLEGALLY and demand rights and benefits.
The whole point of the question is that they are native to this continent of North America, I am not asking about Natives of Bolivia or Africa or England.

Who said it was my theory? Maybe I am just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,178,995 times
Reputation: 391
Native to this continent is NOT the same as native to this NATION. Are you suggesting that we give citizenship to all the 'natives' that hail from Canada, as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The whole point of the question is that they are native to this continent of North America, I am not asking about Natives of Bolivia or Africa or England.

Who said it was my theory? Maybe I am just curious.
Your argument is now moot.

Prior to 1492 the rules were different; just that a bigger, badder group of 'Indians' came here------much like the Romans subjugating the UK 1,500 years prior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,638,049 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The whole point of the question is that they are native to this continent of North America, I am not asking about Natives of Bolivia or Africa or England.

Who said it was my theory? Maybe I am just curious.
Let's use your OWN situation, Mach, to illustrate your folly. As I recall, half your heritage is Irish.

In much of central Western Europe and the British Isles, the 'aborigines' are Celts. This ethnic group was the original population of a large area. Sometimes they're referred to as "Gaelic" people. The Gaelic language (Ireland and Scotland), the nation of Wales (called "Gales" in Spanish), France (called "Gaul" by the Romans, and Galicia (part of modern-day Spain), all reflect this large, related group. They are the "indigenous people" of that area.

Many later arrivals pushed them aside, so that today, probably only Ireland has a Celtic majority. Given the fact that, for example, France is doing well, SHOULD ANY CELTIC PERSON, from any Celtic country, even their descendants overseas, BE ABLE TO ENTER FRANCE, legally or ILLEGALLY, given the fact that France once "belonged" to the Celts, and it's part of THEIR ancestral homeland?

Good question, and I think very similar to the one YOU posed. But I'm sure the answer would be "NO"...because "the Celts" no longer constitute a recognized "country" (if they ever did)..and France is now a modern nation, and neither it, nor practically any OTHER country, recognizes this type of "ethnic privilege".

Those modern Celts who happen to reside in France, and were born there, ARE French citizens...the "other" Celts, in Ireland, Spain, and around the world (maybe even YOU), have no legal "claim" to modern-day France, simply because it was 'taken' centuries ago from some of their distant 'cousins'.

Alaskan Eskimos (Inuit) have VERY recent ties with those in Siberia....as recently, in some cases, as the past century or so. Yet Siberia is now part of Russia, and Alaska is part of the US, and these people can't 'slip back and forth' without getting into serious legal difficulties. Regardless of their ethnicities, they now live in two VERY different nations, and neither group has a 'claim' to the other nation.

Sounds a LOT like your own hypothetical scenario. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Location: OC, CA
3,309 posts, read 5,038,843 times
Reputation: 645
No. They obviously didn't originate in the US if they are living in Mexico, thus we didn't take their land, the Spanish did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174
Why would you think they're something they're not?

They aren't Native Americans, at "best" they are Native Mexicans but it's not as though Mexican Indian groups ever traveled north of the Rio Grande. The Aztecs ruled over about a 35 mile radius in the Valley of Mexico so it would be pretty absurd to think they are just like Iroquois or Cherokee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The whole point of the question is that they are native to this continent of North America, I am not asking about Natives of Bolivia or Africa or England.

Who said it was my theory? Maybe I am just curious.

Then would you also argue that the Germans had some right to take over Poland and France? Simply because those countries are all part of the same continent? That's silly.

Or how about the Hondurans -- do they have a right to move into Mexico and ignore the laws of Mexico simply because they are part of the same continent?

What is so magical about a continent? A continent has nothing to do with the groups of people living on it, the reason countries exist is that there are different nations of people, different cultures, languages etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,310 posts, read 25,741,801 times
Reputation: 10574
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then would you also argue that the Germans had some right to take over Poland and France? Simply because those countries are all part of the same continent? That's silly.

Or how about the Hondurans -- do they have a right to move into Mexico and ignore the laws of Mexico simply because they are part of the same continent?

What is so magical about a continent? A continent has nothing to do with the groups of people living on it, the reason countries exist is that there are different nations of people, different cultures, languages etc.
Sorry, Malamute . . . way too much LOGIC and COMMON SENSE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top