U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you thought of illegal Mexicans as Native-American Indians does it change your opinion of their r
Yes 1 1.89%
No 50 94.34%
Somewhat 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:24 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,682,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Don't forget the articulated carved masks used in ceremonies and celebrations (I'm a big fan of them).
Those too. You could almost decorate a kitschy "Polynesian" restaurant with NW Indian artifacts, and your customers would never know the difference....should we blame it on Walt Disney?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 PM

539 posts, read 1,618,567 times
Mac, Kele, AZBear- great points and thoughts - as always. I guess it's sometimes better to read posts before one posts himself. (I repped who I could)

Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,785,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Mac, Kele, AZBear- great points and thoughts - as always. I guess it's sometimes better to read posts before one posts himself. (I repped who I could)
Thank you, sir

Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,682,791 times
Quote:
Always good to hear feedback...thanks !!!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,724,114 times
Quote:
Thank you for your kind words.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:23 PM

47,576 posts, read 59,087,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
How about the Lakota Sioux? They were the true Johnny-Come-Latelys to the modern day U.S. The Lakota people, who belong to the larger group Oceti Sakowin, meaning 'the seven places of the fire', migrated to the northern Plains in the 1700's from the woods of Minnesota. They are thought to have been a part of one of several Athapascan migrations from modern day Canada to the U.S. Their lives here encompassed barely 150 years before European contact.

Should they be repatriated to Canada, along with all tribes who were here as a result of the Athapascan migrations?

The entire notion is absurd.

La Raza doesn't view it as absurd because it's their way of saying American whites, blacks, and others have no right to our country. Even if your ancestors were here from the very beginning and helped build this nation in some way or another, it's the way for Mexicans coming straight out of Mexico to insist they have more rights to be here, and that they have some racial right to break American laws. It's their way of saying "what's ours is ours, and what's yours is ours". They can justify maintaining their own country's immigration laws while insisting that they have no obligation to follow ours, and yet people from non-Hispanic countries wanting to immigrate are not to be given the same right to do so as Mexicans and Central Americans.

It's racism plain and simple to insist that having some Mayan or Aztec ancestry gives you special rights that no one else has. These are the Klan with a tan.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:11 PM

32 posts, read 63,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Native to this continent is NOT the same as native to this NATION. Are you suggesting that we give citizenship to all the 'natives' that hail from Canada, as well?

There arent' that many native in canada their population is quite small. also, canada does not have many hispanic, because they fear it would help many First nation in canada to move forward

Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 11,726,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Not in the least. They are citizens of the country of Mexico, regardless of their ethnic roots. They have NO RIGHT to come here, same for the illegal Irish!
That perhaps makes them native to the current territory of Mexico, not to the territory of the United States!!! Plus many Mexicans have part European ancestry anyway.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM

61,782 posts, read 31,267,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If you thought that most of the illegals from Mexico were Native Americans, would that change your opinion of their rights to be here?

I can tell you right now, if you crossed the Rio Grande 300 years ago, you got scalped!

How is that?

No, even Indian tribes had borders.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 PM

7,624 posts, read 8,188,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If you thought that most of the illegals from Mexico were Native Americans, would that change your opinion of their rights to be here?
Irrelevant. American Indians gained US citizenship in 1924. American Indian reservations are direct, integral components of the US federal union. Mexico is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or