U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Does it irritate you when people call you/others "anti immigrant"?
Not at all 16 31.37%
Somewhat 4 7.84%
Yes 31 60.78%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 PM
 
Location: California
3,173 posts, read 4,227,499 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Whatever, fella. You do realize the stink that would be raised if America issued a postage stamp that was this blatantly racist, don't you? And yet you will ignore that OBVIOUS racism in order to focus on whether or not an individual family segregated itself based upon skintone?

Get a grip quick, you're in danger of spiralling TOTALLY out of orbit...
America's already done that kind of stuff, and did it for MANY years. That Mexican cartoon character was based off of an American *****ninny style character.

While I wont defend it, because I was raised in the U.S, and had never heard of the character until the controversy, I find its appearance extremely offensive.

However, I know the storylines at least were less racist than American style minstrel shows.



All that aside, I think its comedy to say the common people of Mexico are anywhere near as racist as the common people in the United States a couple of decades ago.

Blacks were slaves alongside the Indians and Mestizos in Latin America while the Spanish were there. When the Spain left, the Mexican people didnt keep them as slaves.

And even now, while racism may exist just like everyother place in the world, I dont see much about lynchings in Mexico..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,081,007 times
Reputation: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
and do you actually believe this is common behavior?
No, I don't......and it isn't a "family splitting", it's more of a family "steering" its whiter, professional, 'country club' guests (the head of the family has deep professional ties in the community) , some of whom are related, away from its "less professional" relatives and THEIR friends and in-laws. Don't want to be more specific, because they're pretty well-known around here.

Also, I don't know your age, amc, but you might be aware that a few decades ago, it was common for families to 'split' over just such issues, here in the US. Black people often referred to it as 'passing', and in many cases, a person who could "pass" for white had a strong incentive to deny his own family, in order to be accepted as white. I actually knew a black person to whom this happened (in his case, it was an uncle. He became wealthy, was quite generous with the relatives, visited them often, but would NEVER allow them to visit him...in his 'new' life, he was white)

Mexican-Americans had a much easier time, but prejudice in those days STILL prompted many Mexicans in the US to refer to themselves as "Spanish"...older people can still remember this well.

Mostly, those days are gone..but, in the case of the family I mentioned, while certain members don't actually DENY their mestizo roots, they have professional associations that make it so that they'd "prefer" no one know, unless they "have to"..
Call that whatever you want....it IS sad, and it does look bad. But really, as I see it, it's mostly just a form of "social climbing", no different from a poor person who becomes wealthy and denies his roots. It was once a common part of trying to 'fit in' to the 'upper crust'.

This is why I often gripe that young people today don't know TRUE prejudice. What's called "prejudice" today is often minor annoyances and disrespect, compared to the REAL prejudice that once was so common...and was so great that it really COULD split a family, if they let it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,070 posts, read 2,161,302 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
America's already done that kind of stuff, and did it for MANY years. That Mexican cartoon character was based off of an American *****ninny style character.

While I wont defend it, because I was raised in the U.S, and had never heard of the character until the controversy, I find its appearance extremely offensive.

However, I know the storylines at least were less racist than American style minstrel shows.



All that aside, I think its comedy to say the common people of Mexico are anywhere near as racist as the common people in the United States a couple of decades ago.

Blacks were slaves alongside the Indians and Mestizos in Latin America while the Spanish were there. When the Spain left, the Mexican people didnt keep them as slaves.

And even now, while racism may exist just like everyother place in the world, I dont see much about lynchings in Mexico..
What a crock of pig slime! Memin Pinguin is an ICON of Mexican television, and the stamp was issued within the LAST 5 YEARS. Would you like me to post the history of this revered character, or will you admit your errancy NOW, before you embarass yourself FURTHER????
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 PM
 
Location: California
3,173 posts, read 4,227,499 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
What a crock of pig slime! Memin Pinguin is an ICON of Mexican television, and the stamp was issued within the LAST 5 YEARS. Would you like me to post the history of this revered character, or will you admit your errancy NOW, before you embarass yourself FURTHER????
Quote:
The charges of racism stem from the unflattering manner in which Pinguín and his mother are rendered, as classic darky iconography. The form has its roots in blackface and the American minstrel show tradition, with Memín and his mother depicted as stereotypes: the *****ninny and the mammy, respectively. Early Mexican comic artists adopted this common mode of depicting people of African descent, which had become commonplace around the world.
"what a crock of pig slime"? Do people really talk like that?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,070 posts, read 2,161,302 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
"what a crock of pig slime"? Do people really talk like that?
When was the stamp issued, smartaleck???
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 AM
 
Location: California
3,173 posts, read 4,227,499 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
When was the stamp issued, smartaleck???
whats your point with that? why do you keep saying that? What are you trying to prove?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 02:54 AM
 
Location: County Mayo Descendant
2,641 posts, read 2,648,741 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Does it irritate you when people call you/others "anti immigrant" instead of "anti illegal immigrant"?

I personally cannot stand it when people leave of "illegal" when they are talking about my, and other people like me, in referencing their views. They say things like "immigrants are needed in this country" or "people who hate immigrants hate what America stands for." Sometimes I seriously just want to shake the people who do that because I am not anti immigrant, I am anti illegal alien. They need to use the correct terminology.

Thats like saying "are you anti-consumer" when you are referencing a robber/burglar. They are clearly different things.
If my family had to starve themselves to get here on a ship, then have to be worried about being robbed on the ship or getting so ill they died, and made it to Ellis Island and became legal, so can everyone else. It was no free ride for them, becoming legal cannot be as bad as being on that ship or living during those times. Today the DEP would be all over that one!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 25,073,647 times
Reputation: 3624
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
"what a crock of pig slime"? Do people really talk like that?
You have to understand GuyPinestra: he is a Portuguese-American Redneck------and, proud of it

And; I too have 'Southern' roots.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,081,007 times
Reputation: 2939
I'm confused here.....I keep hearing that Americans are "anti-immigrant"...yet that America is a "land of immigrants"....some even go so far as to insist that "we're ALL immigrants"..

So, what am I missing here? (please, keep it civil).....this just isn't making sense. A "land of immigrants" that's "anti-immigrant" sounds like a guy who "joins the KKK because he can't stand whites".....explain, please.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: California
3,173 posts, read 4,227,499 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'm confused here.....I keep hearing that Americans are "anti-immigrant"...yet that America is a "land of immigrants"....some even go so far as to insist that "we're ALL immigrants"..

So, what am I missing here? (please, keep it civil).....this just isn't making sense. A "land of immigrants" that's "anti-immigrant" sounds like a guy who "joins the KKK because he can't stand whites".....explain, please.
Thats the irony the protesters are trying to point out. I never took it literally when they say stuff like "white people go back to europe!"..I wish they didnt say that stuff because it makes them get taken less seriously.
But nobody is truly a native..except for the natives. Native Americans.

We are all descendants of immigrants. Making us a land of immigrants.
I don't know whats wrong with that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top