Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does it irritate you when people call you/others "anti immigrant"?
Not at all 17 32.69%
Somewhat 4 7.69%
Yes 31 59.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:05 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The racism among Mexicans (and Mexican Americans) is persistent, albeit not quite the same 'style' as the racism in the US....NOR was it enacted into law, as it was in the Southern US.

I do know one LARGE (and I mean LARGE) family in this area who throws big parties, and often one party (for example, a Christmas party or similar) will be mostly "light" guests, followed the next day by one for mostly "dark" guests....ALL of them members of the same family (!), plus spouses.. It's no secret, causes some hard feelings, but it's been going on for years....(I've been invited to BOTH, according to how things are going at the moment, and generally the 'dark' parties are more fun )

I DO remember several decades ago in Mexico, it was quite common to see ads requesting..(for example) a receptionist or 'office girl", and in addition to typing skills, etc, it would specify 'good appearance'..which was GENERALLY understood to mean "not TOO Indian-looking, please"..I'm not sure whether this still goes on or not..

Racism is racism..it occurs in MOST societies around the world, often in different forms, but it's there. The thing that makes the US stand out is a willingness to discuss it...(and BOY do we discuss it). Most societies won't discuss their racism, refuse to admit it exists....or honestly don't SEE it (as if to say their race is 'simply the best..period')

awww, come on now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,522 times
macmeal said,
"This is a most disturbing post, since recently on this forum we were informed that "Legal immigrants have nothing against illegals", or words to that effect. It's pretty upsetting, because we've been assured that ALL you guys (legal and illegal) are really 'just the same'. Are you now telling us that this is NOT THE CASE?......hmmmmm This changes everything. Pardon me while I collect my thoughts...."

To me a legal immigrant are the ones who apply to come to the US and wait for a visa. Our family waited 2 years and then we were all approved, legally, mentally, and physically. We had to have a sponsor before we could come and we did. We were never any obligation to anyone have never taken any money from the government. Worked our behinds off, but we did not care because we now lived in the greatest country in this world. Within 5 years my parents became citizens of this great country and I did soon after that. We have lived here since 1959 and my parents
have never taken a penny from the government or our sponsor and neither have I or my other siblings.
In this great country you can make it and there is no excuse for depending on the government or anyone else for any handouts. That to me is a good citizen of this or any country!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,112,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
AZBear and Macmeal, what we were discussing was the claim that Mexican are "white supremacists". Azbear, you went pretty deep into how Mexicans perceive themselves. Please don't cop out with that comment, you know what we're talking is seperate than people coming here illegally.
I am not playing your game, amc760.

That quote to which you refer to was written by a Mexican, not me-----and, several other 'Hispanics' of Mexican lineage have confirmed the information as well.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,549,167 times
Quote:
awww, come on now!
Yep, it's a sort of an 'open secret'.....and causes quite a bit of joking 'behind the scenes'. A few people, as I said, do stay away for that reason. Nothing is said 'up front', but you can pretty well bet who will be at which 'function'...

Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,414 times
Default Racism/White supremacism in Mexico???

Here's a few examples of the racism in Mexican culture. The thing I find most convincing AND convicting is that most Mexicans seem to be PROUD of it. What a bunch of hypocritical BS.

Explain that, apologists...

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/GuyPinestra/Menim-716449.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am not playing your game, amc760.

That quote to which you refer to was written by a Mexican, not me-----and, several other 'Hispanics' of Mexican lineage have confirmed the information as well.
What game?? That was what we were talking about!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yep, it's a sort of an 'open secret'.....and causes quite a bit of joking 'behind the scenes'. A few people, as I said, do stay away for that reason. Nothing is said 'up front', but you can pretty well bet who will be at which 'function'...
and do you actually believe this is common behavior?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
and do you actually believe this is common behavior?
C'mon man, it's commemorated in the country's POSTAGE !!!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
C'mon man, it's commemorated in the country's POSTAGE !!!
Families splitting up over its darker and lighter members? Sorry, I mustve had that one missing from my collection.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Families splitting up over its darker and lighter members? Sorry, I mustve had that one missing from my collection.
Whatever, fella. You do realize the stink that would be raised if America issued a postage stamp that was this blatantly racist, don't you? And yet you will ignore that OBVIOUS racism in order to focus on whether or not an individual family segregated itself based upon skintone?

Get a grip quick, you're in danger of spiralling TOTALLY out of orbit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration