U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 AM

743 posts, read 1,152,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I agree, the government don't have much of a handle on the drug problem, the reason being it's easy for drug dealers to re-establish them selves. A company can't do that, they can't afford to have their business confiscated. With no jobs and no hand outs illegals would not come here, the ones already here would have to leave because they would have no way to survive. The companies that have been hit so far was a slap on the hand (fine), the penalty has to be severe or it will not work.

If our government really wanted to take issue with this illegal problem they could get the job done, if they cut the illegals money train off they will have no other choice but deport them selves. Them a lot of people in this country can go back to work.
You make an true point about the penalties, I don't think they are very harsh. However, most policy makers are hesitant to implement anything too severe, because they would be responsible for closing down many small businesses (and some large ones no doubt). Also, there is no way to stop all illegal immigrants from working no matter how severe the penalties. They would not simply leave the country, they will find other work or turn to crime. Certainly they would be a far greater tax burden in prison than at a low paying job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 09:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,876,588 times
"Americans don't want physically demanding, low paying jobs". This is the big lie. Americans did these jobs before illegals came here in great numbers. Yes there are low paying jobs now, where the wages were kept down and lowered to pay illegals and it's had a ripple effect on higher wages also. Now, if most of the illegals are out of a job and go back to their homeland, we are talking of millions gone from Calif. alone. What happens when the population numbers are down as in many states today? The cost of living will be lower and the wages will balance out. Then Calif. will be more of what it once was.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 PM

451 posts, read 1,017,100 times
The reason the illegal issue makes everyone frustrated is because it would be so easy to fix. TAX them out. First you put an astronomical tax on all wire/money transfers to mexico. No bank accounts of any kind. Then you make it illegal to hire illegal's and actualy inforce it. No Driver Licenses. Set up temporary deportation centers in every state to process illegals back to where they came.(Please do not write some stupid comment about how this would be impossible..It can be done). Allow state and city/town law inforcement to arrest and detain illegal's. Refuse all healthcare that is not an emergency. No wellfare to non citizens(I would prefer everyone). Im sure i will think of something else.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,890,549 times
I think one thing that would get employers poopin in their pants is.. If the INS did a sweep of big businesses and small business at the same time.. And then.. Had the media blow everything out of proportion like they normally do.

But seriously, if they Government went after small and big business simultaneously and hit them with hefty fines over 1 mil it would get all businesses especially small ones, wow if I do bad, my chances of going under are about 100%. And big businesses will just think. Yeah... We like pie, or whatever big businesses think because they don't really care.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM

354 posts, read 762,540 times
Will the government return illegal Sudanese immigrants back to the horrors in Darfur and the Chadian Civil War? What about the large population of Iraqi and Persian illegals in California-- will they be deported to hostile civil war environments? Will all of the illegal Cubans be deported to Cuba only to face god-knows-what punishment? Will the illegal Koreans be returned to North and South Korea? And the illegal Chinese to a communist society? And illegal Indians escaping the Maoist insurgancy?

Proponents of mass deportation most often point the finger at Mexican nationals and their government, yet such practices will affect illegal immigrants from all over the world and from many dangerous situations. It's either all or nothing.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 PM

451 posts, read 1,017,100 times
Like I said in a previous post...The last time I checked I did not see thousands of Germans,Italians,Chinese,and Koreans or any other nationality protesting in the streets of America demanding citizenship. I also did not notice these nationalitys holding up signs that claimed they owned and were going to take back part of the western united states or signs that said "Racist pig". Also flying the American flag in a disrespectful manner and flying the flag of their nationality.The only rebutle I have seen time after time is " everyone who disagrees with the illegals being in America is a Racist", " what about all the other illegals" and " they are wanting a better life" blah! blah! blah! These are weak rebuttals to the big picture of the crimes being committed by illegal law breaking MOSTLY mexicans against the citizens of the United States.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:08 AM

354 posts, read 762,540 times
You can't pick and choose which illegal immigrants you want deported because that would be providing preferential treatment on the basis of race and/or ethnicity (among other things, like permitting criminality). There may not be millions of illegal immigrants from the nations I described previously, but there exist very large communities of them in several areas of the country. The largest Vietnamese community outside of Vietnam is in Orange County, CA, and many of the 400,000 in California participated in the rallies in Los Angeles. The largest Korean community outside of North/South Korea is in Koreatown, Los Angeles, CA.

In all, there are approximately 1.1 million* (9%) illegal immigrants of Asian descent, 750,000* (6%) illegal immigrants from Canada and Europe, and 500,000* (4%) from various parts of the world. Mexican nationals account for about 57% of illegal immigrants and other Latin Americans account for another 24% of illegal immigrants. Simple geography explains the inbalance as a simple car ride is much cheaper and feasible than a boat ride across an ocean or a plane ride over many countries.

*Wikipedia & Pew Hispanic Report, 03/2005

Last edited by Amavel; 02-23-2007 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-23-2007, 02:26 AM

31 posts, read 85,639 times
Amavel is correct. It's too late to deport anyone. We let them in, so we have to deal with it and integrate them into our society. I don't like that idea any more than anyone else does. But, if we tried to deport them all, you would see the biggest riot in the history of mankind. The country would be turned upside down in an uproar, and it would completely trash our economy.

The only logical solution is to stop more of them from coming in.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 11,958,604 times
It better happen quick. On Wednesday night i was at a burger king and the cashier was yelling out my order in spanish and the market by my house has been turned into a spanish market. I can't take this much longer, i feel sick just witnessing this.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,017,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I would like to see this happen, because Illegal Immigrants should not be breaking the law. But, don't count on it. There are not enough American born workers who want to perform physically demanding low paying jobs.
Wrong. Its that the jobs dont pay accordingly to the area. Americans cant take the jobs because the real estate prices and everything else are so high. Its not like they have a choice unless they want to group up with three other families just so they can break even picking lettuce. Its funny how in most other places in the country non-illegals perform these jobs. Californians are delusional. The lefties have gotten them them to radicals. Low income and middle income families cant even move to California anymore. Also where do you get off thinking low income workers dont pay taxes? Or low class as someone else put it. The pride of some people is amazing.

Man California is in really bad shape. I have been saying this stuff for years and non one would listen. I also said when it comes times to jump ship they need to stay there and go down with their ship. Not move somewhere else with their ideas and ruin other places. Their greed is a big reason why their state is ruined and the infastructure is collapsing. For those states who have been following in California's footsteps they will have a rude awakening also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or