U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:28 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,858,230 times
Reputation: 330

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
I could sit behind a desk, dusesean1986--I have. I prefer to do physical work. I prefer to feel like I've really accomplished something. Problem is the wages for these types of jobs have been brought down and an American who is not getting all the social benefits cannot afford to rent, buy or support even themselves. People used to actually be able to support themselves washing dishes, waitressing, working in a factory, being a maid, etc. The government and the media keep trying to convince all of us we're too lazy to to these types of jobs. I don't believe we are and I truly believe we do them better. You are partly correct--we won't continue to be underpaid so CEOs can have 40 million dollar bonuses, but we will gladly do physical work for a decent wage.
Grammy, I know White Americans can do these jobs. I don't doubt they can. But, this white American believes there's no reason for an individual to do physically difficult labor when it is not necessary, and there are other jobs in the market, paying just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 PM
 
4,307 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoninnyc View Post
The above is an information referral from the irs website. if the ins doesn't care, maybe the irs does. all the illegals are paid off the books, therefore scamming the irs.
I know the Social Security gets money from illegal labor - But it benefits noone - Not the illegals, nor anyone else - See: http://www.ssa.gov/oig/ADOBEPDF/A-03-03-23038.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
 
79 posts, read 257,017 times
Reputation: 57
Default i disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Grammy, I know White Americans can do these jobs. I don't doubt they can. But, this white American believes there's no reason for an individual to do physically difficult labor when it is not necessary, and there are other jobs in the market, paying just as well.
plumbers have one of the grossest jobs ever, yet they make tons of money. it is physically demanding at times, carrying toilets and tools. i know plumbers who are richer than doctors. there is no shortage of plumbers. great job actually if you aren't squeamish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,858,230 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoninnyc View Post
plumbers have one of the grossest jobs ever, yet they make tons of money. it is physically demanding at times, carrying toilets and tools. i know plumbers who are richer than doctors. there is no shortage of plumbers. great job actually if you aren't squeamish.
I agree with you. I can only speak for my personal experiences in California. There are caucasian plumbers in California, they do make more than illegal immigrants because they are trained. The more training or education an individual has acquired the more money. There are exceptions to Caucasians making more money in Construction even if they aren't the big kahuna, but the majority of Construction jobs are unskilled, therefore less pay and physically demanding, resulting in less Citizen turnout. I don't know where plumbers are richer that doctors, this sounds out fetched, but I will go there.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
sorry but you need to get off the Physically demanding part, most people I know think the more physical the better, not everyone wants to sit on their ass all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM
 
Location: South Bay, California
1,701 posts, read 5,858,230 times
Reputation: 330
Doing Construction is brutal from my perspective, it doesn't have any correlation with sitting on your ass. I've experienced it firsthand, it's not pleasant. So stay in school! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Doing Construction is brutal from my perspective, it doesn't have any correlation with sitting on your ass. I've experienced it firsthand, it's not pleasant. So stay in school! lol
I am a woman and have been in construction for 15 years, my husband for 20, he started out a framerand is now a PM. I did some framing and I am now in Interior design, I design the interiors on houses being built. I lay tile , hardwood floors and I have installed windows. I am 5'6 and 140 pounds oh and 36 years old. I finished school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:44 PM
 
79 posts, read 257,017 times
Reputation: 57
Default agree w neal

Plumbers, Electricians, Mechanics all are good careers that pay well and we will have a demand for for a long time and they can't be outsourced to India. Americans are willing to do these physically demanding jobs because they pay well. I would prefer to do a physically demanding job (well, I am a petite woman so not too much) rather than having my bottome get sore and ever expanding from sitting in a cubicle. problem is most physical jobs don't pay that much, unless you go with the above mentioned professions which i believe require licenses (electricians and plumbers definitely do) so you need to be legal, thush illegal immigrants can't do the job, thus the pay remains high.

fyi plumbers in nyc make tons of money, don't need to waste money on a office like doctors and lawyers do. real estate is very expensive here. and don't have massive student loans like doctors. plus doctors have to deal with hmos which made their pay lower if a general practitioner and not some fancy surgeon or specialist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,717,892 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoninnyc View Post
Plumbers, Electricians, Mechanics all are good careers that pay well and we will have a demand for for a long time and they can't be outsourced to India. Americans are willing to do these physically demanding jobs because they pay well. I would prefer to do a physically demanding job (well, I am a petite woman so not too much) rather than having my bottome get sore and ever expanding from sitting in a cubicle. problem is most physical jobs don't pay that much, unless you go with the above mentioned professions which i believe require licenses (electricians and plumbers definitely do) so you need to be legal, thush illegal immigrants can't do the job, thus the pay remains high.

fyi plumbers in nyc make tons of money, don't need to waste money on a office like doctors and lawyers do. real estate is very expensive here. and don't have massive student loans like doctors. plus doctors have to deal with hmos which made their pay lower if a general practitioner and not some fancy surgeon or specialist


I am small too, plumbing is the one thing I wont do!!! Nasty, unless I am just replacing a pipe or toilet. I love laying tile though, love designing it, I even love to grout!!!! My husband and I built our own cabinets of of cherry, turned out amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
 
Location: gold coast fl
96 posts, read 250,598 times
Reputation: 87
Default 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Speak for yourself please, just because you couldnt handle it doesnt mean there are not lots more than can and would.
Hi, once again I agree with Nea1....One week in construction and 1986 say's
it's hard work. I did it for 28 year's and alot of AMERICAN'S worked
along side of me . Many of us were injured on the job and we still worked
every day. I was a IRONWORKER, in BUFFALO, New York. Just think of this
1986.....I had worked since 15 yr's old , I was in and out of the work force
before you wre born, I am 72 yr's old . Dont' belittle the AMERICANS that
could handle it and by all mean's don't compare us to you.

LOVE THE U.S.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top