U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,042,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
They don't take jobs from anyone, they work for wages that others refuse to accept. They keep prices low. Without paying those low wages prices on everything would spiral upward uncontrolled. If you were up against an illegal for the same job, wage, etc. you would get the job. The only thing they are settling for is lower wages, which keeps our prices low.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really are in the dark on this issue. Venture on over in my neck of the woods, I'll introduce you to people that have been put out of work and replaced by Mexican workers. But a little warning, don't tell these people that illegals don't take jobs away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 01:09 AM

743 posts, read 1,151,842 times
How exactly did these people lose their jobs to immigrants? What industry are they in? I will guess that they didn't lose their jobs, they were simply unwilling to accept market wages.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:16 AM

354 posts, read 762,015 times
On the NATIONAL level, illegal immigtants are willing to work for wages less than those of the MAJORITY of Americans, due either to pride or cost of living.

Feel free to provide as much anecdotal evidence as you please, but it doesn't change, influence, nor trump the trends on the naitonal level.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 AM

Thank you for helping make my point. Perhaps it is pride that causes many to avoid lower paying jobs. However, cost of living is equal for everyone within a local economy, so I'm not sure what you were trying to say.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:43 AM

In regards to the idea that illegal laborers don't pay the full amount of taxes, many families reside in a single-family dwelling, and insurance and healthcare costs are all but nonexistant. Legal laborers would therefore have a much higher cost of living compared to those that are able to avoid such costs.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 AM

There are plenty of legal occupants (I hesitate to call them workers) that avoid paying their fare share of taxes and take advantage of health care, among other social services. If workers are renting a home, they are still indirectly paying for services such as schools, through property taxes, so they have every right to use these services. The health care system is a mess for everyone, hardly the immigrants fault. I work very hard to pay for health insurance and still have high deductibles and co-pays. But, this is part of the inherent inefficiency and disorganization of our system.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,697,044 times
The day you have been laid off because some illegal will do your work for half of what you can afford, lets see what you say. we have been there done it. We dont live 4-5 families to a home to share the bills. Business dont have to pay comp or taxes on these illegals. We are in construction. Dont you dare sit there and say they dont take these jobs. I know tons of hardworking guys that have been shut out by them. Thay cant afford to feed there families off what they make and pay ALL the taxes involved. You guys are fooling yourselves to think they all pay taxes, we have been in the industry for 20 years and have seen it erroding away. it is really sad to read what some people are willing to put up with. America is way too nice and it will end up biting us in the ass, just wait. The excuses are making me sick, AMERICANS FIRST PEOPLE, then we help those we can.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:33 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,658,763 times
Default Bottom Line!

Illegal immigration undermines sovereignty and legal rights of citizens!

Agruing about illegal immigration is really a moot point when it comes down to the basic fundemental issue.

Maybe one day Mexico will be another U.S. state!
(it's called "colonialism")

Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,658,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
On the NATIONAL level, illegal immigtants are willing to work for wages less than those of the MAJORITY of Americans, due either to pride or cost of living.
Therein lies the crux of the situation. Can you blame Americans for wanting a decent standard of living?

I know i would pick lettuce in Yuma, Arizona for 50 bucks an hour if John McCain asked me to! It's not about pride.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:16 AM

You can't blame Americans for wanting a decent standard of living, but you can blame them for complaining about illegal immigrants 'taking' their jobs and not making every effort to equip themselves for a new career in, perhaps, a new industry.

Structural unemployment is avoidable-- you have to be willing to extend yourself and open yourself up to new ideas and career paths. If that means going back to school at night to earn more credentials, so be it. You aren't mobile, you say? Great, I'm sure there is more than one industry in your area that you can work within and succeed. If you are mobile, migrate somewhere where unemployment is low and several job markets are hot.

If the individuals that spent their days complaining about the slave driven illegal immigrants spent HALF AS MUCH TIME looking for work, becoming qualified, and testing out new ideas and paths, I'm sure it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But wait, because its illegal immigrants at the bottom of this you are excused from any responsibility. I understand now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or