Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
One of my nephews is a building contractor, no way in hell will he hire a mexican. He hires local people that need to feed their family.
Thank your nephew on behalf of the America People!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 01:44 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
If you conducted a system wide purge of low wage workers in construction (and this goes for any industry), you would drive up prices so high, that you would price most of the country out of the housing market. This is especially scary because the housing market is already out of control. The reality is, most American workers want a guaranteed job and wage. That is simply unrealistic. Most Americans have been spoiled by inflated wages for themselves (thanks unions) and exploiting immigrant workers through cheap hamburgers, housing, landscaping services, etc.
Also, if your experience is true, that builders can have good profit margins with American wokers, then immigrant workers are not a threat at all to your livelihood.
it is true, builders can lower their profit to pay americans decent liveable wages without driving up prices. Most americans know there are no guarantees, but they shuld be given the jobs first over illegals. i dont think 10-18 bucks an hour for their work is inflated. And they are a threat, GREED!!!! Money thats what builders and other corportations want.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
You are really having some good points Nea1 & Jim 280. But, I'm afraid that most of these people on this site really don't know about owning a business or even possibly the work force. When you just show up and do your 8 hrs. and get a pay check to spend as you please, you really have NO idea what it takes to raise a family on your own.

When all you have too worry about is school and mom and dad paying it for you you got it easy and think everyone else should live like that too. Wait until you finish school and are looking for a job. Good Luck

Old 01-22-2007, 01:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
i dont think 10-18 bucks an hour for their work is inflated... Money thats what builders and other corportations want.
Any wage is inflated if it is artificially set and not determined by the market. The actual numbers are irrelevant. 100 dollars an hour could be the market wage, and 5.15 an hour could be inflated.
What it really comes down to is that workers want security, which doesn't exist. There are no guaranteed wages, nor should there be.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
You are really having some good points Nea1 & Jim 280. But, I'm afraid that most of these people on this site really don't know about owning a business or even possibly the work force. When you just show up and do your 8 hrs. and get a pay check to spend as you please, you really have NO idea what it takes to raise a family on your own.

When all you have too worry about is school and mom and dad paying it for you you got it easy and think everyone else should live like that too. Wait until you finish school and are looking for a job. Good Luck
Whats funny is my husband would work 12-14 hours to make it. I guess with these people we should find 4 other families to live with all live in one house, not pay all our taxes, run out on the medical bills and give ********** ss numbers to get credit. What people dont seem to understand is the prices are the way they are because the corporations can pay illegals less and get more profit. Cut some profit and pay a little more ( in most cases it is just a few dollars more an hour) oh and get legal by paying comp and matched taxes and prices will remain the same. Ok so you are not making 300 million this year only 100 million. But the advantages in so many other areas would be worth it.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:56 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times
Quote:
By definition market wages is what employees are willing to work for and what employers are willing to pay, so immigrant workers ARE working for market wages. Many of your friends seem to be unwilling to accept that there are no guarantees in this economy. It is foolish to think that you can just get a job and have security and a living wage for the rest of your life. That is a different system and it collapsed two decades ago. Immigrants are a scapegoat. If we paid your friends what they think they deserve, no one would be able to afford their products and their industry would collapse. Guess what, they would then be out of work.
I agree with Nea1, this is total BS at best. It simply didn't have anything to do with being paid what they thought they were worth. Had they told the boss " we think we're worth $10.00 an hour more than what we're making and demanded a raise well that would be a different story". It was a clear cut case of greed on the builders part, like I can hire 8 mexicans for what I pay 3 of these guys. And for what it's worth, one builder got reported and his job shut down for cutting corners on material... his job didn't meet building codes. greed, greed greed.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Any wage is inflated if it is artificially set and not determined by the market. The actual numbers are irrelevant. 100 dollars an hour could be the market wage, and 5.15 an hour could be inflated.
What it really comes down to is that workers want security, which doesn't exist. There are no guaranteed wages, nor should there be.
market is determined by the corporations that run it.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I agree with Nea1, this is total BS at best. It simply didn't have anything to do with being paid what they thought they were worth. Had they told the boss " we think we're worth $10.00 an hour more than what we're making and demanded a raise well that would be a different story". It was a clear cut case of greed on the builders part, like I can hire 8 mexicans for what I pay 3 of these guys. And for what it's worth, one builder got reported and his job shut down for cutting corners on material... his job didn't meet building codes. greed, greed greed.
Absolutly, greed runs the market. 3 guys will take a little longer and will probably do a better job, but that doesnt matter. 8 mexicans can get it done in half the time and cut cornersbut bring in faster product, no matter how bad it is. Prices will be the same no matter, it is just more profit for the big boys.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM

745 posts, read 1,297,335 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if this refers to me or not. I submit that I'm not as green as you seem to think. I have three sons still at home and I have spent most of my life in the workforce. I can't remember the last time I got to spend 50 bucks, let alone an entire paycheck, as I please. I haven't been dependent on my parents since I was seventeen years old.
I concede that I have never owned a business, although it is a goal of mine, but I have worked two jobs whilegoing back to school with two young children at home. I did this to give myself a competitive edge against every other worker, legal or otherwise. I am not content to look up at the world and complain that it hasn't given me enough opportunity. I chose to do something about it. And I don't ever use someone else, or some other group as a scapegoat.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:09 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more wildberries, when these young people finish school and get out in the world on their own, that's when reality sets in... I'm like you I wish them good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration