Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:18 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,117,353 times

Advertisements

23 milllion illegals. serious issue. no way.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:29 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,407,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
Hi! I felt that this would be a great place to conduct a survey about illegal immigration. I have read some of the posts on this website and see that everyone pretty much speaks their mind and I like that. So, if you would please participate in this survey I would really appreciate it. I am doing a paper on Illegal Immigration and I chose to do a survey rather than an interview. I would like to hear your answers. Please answer as many of these questions as honestly as you can. I hope to gain a real understanding of others and their feelings toward illegal immigration. Thank you in advance for your help! BTW I am supposed to ask 10 questions if you wouldn't mind please respond to all 10 IF you can.

1) What city and state do you live?

My city, state and country changes periodically because of my job, but my base is @ Mexico city, federal district and capital of Mexico

2) Do you think illegal immigration is a serious issue?

Yes, it's gotten to a critical point and it's gonna get worse, unless the leaders of the world get together and declare illegal to criminalize migration (imho)

3) Do you feel illegal immigration is helping or hurting our economy? How?

It depends on the sector, but I believe that overall, immigration boosts otherwise depressed communities unfortunately it is not properly controlled and it has been criminalized.

4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not?

I Believe that no government in the world handles this issue correctly or fairly, there is still too much fear, ignorance and prejudice which contributes to make this world a worse place to live, for everybody.

5) Do you have any personal experiences that you would like to share on this topic?

Yes, I'm a migrant myself, because of my job I have to keep travelling around the world (legally) and living in different countries for long periods of time, thanks to this I've been able to really know several cultures very well as well as several languages, this made me believe that criminalizing immigration is wrong.

6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue?

I believe that 2 things will end up hapenning, either we'll see the criminalization of immigration banished and forgotten, just like slavery was abolished, or rights were granted to women. or we'll face violent genocides and border wars, even if this happens, we humans we'll finally learn (the hard way) how pointless is to criminalize migration and we'll end up with a world without borders.

7) What are the most serious issues regarding illegal immigration in your area?

Even though there are a lot of illegal immigrants from all countries where I live, nobody here makes a big deal about it, must people here live by a live and let live attitude, also some people feel bad about all the woes of illegal immigrants and help them

8) Do you have any suggestions/solutions to help with illegal immigration?

I believe the entire world should recognize the complex problem we have in our hands and arrange some kind of treaty to have more progressive and advanced immigration policies that are in correspondence with the reality we are facing today.

9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's?

Bascially it's the same thing, however as things are tougher for immigrants nowadays, they react refusing to asimilate and learn the language of their new countries because of this rejection and discrimination.

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say?

Please end this nonsense, and do somehting to end the criminalization of people, the promotion of hate against immigrants and the reform of education systems so people develop a more mature, human race concept instead of those archaic patriotism nationalism perceptions.

Thank you to all of you who participated, I look forward to reading your answers and thanks for helping me with my research paper.
You are welcome, I hope you don't mind i'm not an american citizen, I decided to answer your research paper because I believe immigration is a worldwide phenomenon and we should work on it together, instead of one against each other.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,592,167 times
The answers of the poster below most echo my own experiences and opinions, but change the following
1-Los Angeles, California
5-Illegals have shot through the fence at my nice dogs. Illegals have totalled three of my automobiles in the last eight years, two of the illegals of them driving without licenses. Illegals continually trash my neighborhood. Illegals foment escalating gang violence in my neighborhood. Ilegals ignore all virtually all building codes in my neighborhood. Illegals change all signage to a foreign language with no English to be found alongside. Illegals close emergency rooms by overwhelming them with minor complaints for free care--I myself was ferried by an ambulance, after an unlicensed illegal totalled my car, from the wreckage only to hear my ambulance drivers arguing withvarious E.R.s that I was a genuine emergency and should be given a place there. Illegals caused my cancer-stricken, American citizen, taxpayer friend to be pawned off "in the back of the line" at county hospital and incur lifelong impediments that wouldn't have happened with timely care, solely because her cancer was gynocological and every single other "patient" there was a foreign national, uniformly 8 and 1/2 months pregnant and completely unlike Americans of foreign national descent in every manner possible, ready to give birth to an anchor baby to work the system to get services that we, the American citizens, will never get. Illegals spit at me, a middle-aged female, when I am walking in my own neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
1) Houston TX - temporarily for job - Salt Lake City is Home
2) Yes, very serious
3) Hurting. Driving down wages, putting americans out of work in industries that used to be better paying and employed citizens. Also, it is a tremendous drain on social services (schooling, health care, etc)
4) Not at all. They need to enforce the laws in place with force if need be, in my opinion. This is serious business that is undermining the future well-being of this country.
5) I would like to, but have not the time right now. If I get time I'll edit this answer later.
6) Declining standard of living, a need for bigger social programs and higher taxes that accompany them, wages being driven down
7) Racial division, language barriers, draining of local health systems, resentment, crime, uninsured drivers, ID theft.
8) Yes - enforce our borders, enforce our immigration laws. How bout dump the Iraq debacle and use what money used to go there to improve these areas.
9) Assimilation, attitude, pride in america vs. pride in the country they ran from, entitlement, formerly an eagerness to build this country, now it seems more to leach off of it. I speak of illegals here. Legal immigrants I have no problem with as they respect our laws.
10) Not just to the Prez, but to the gov't as a whole: I resent and detest what you are doing to the citizens of this country. You are selling us out, and eroding away what has taken generations of legal immigrants and their descendants to build for your own political gain. You are sick, and corrupt, and we will fight back.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:56 PM

35,957 posts, read 30,494,438 times
1) What city and state do you live? Monterey, TN

2) Do you think illegal immigration is a serious issue? YES

3) Do you feel illegal immigration is helping or hurting our economy? How? Hurting. Decreasing wages and thereby causing citizens to lose jobs. Creating increases in taxes to cover overburdened school systems, ESL classes, overcrowded jails/courts, burdening the Emergency Rooms and other health care facilities. More people using the welfare system.[

4) Do you feel our government is handling this issue correctly/fairly? How is it doing well and how is it not? No. Essentially the Federal government and most State governments are turning a blind eye if not blatantly defying its own laws to make it easier to illegals to live in the US. Some states are beginning to enact laws to crack down on illegal immigrations, such as employer sanctions. First, the government should complete a real guarded boarder fence. Should implement verification of legal status (and heavily prosecute those who don’t comply) before a person can be employed, receive any type of gov. assistance, or public education and give ICE and local law enforcement the authority to arrest and deport illegal criminals.[

[5) Do you have any personal experiences that you would like to share on this topic? Generally, having my home town saturated with non English speaking illegal aliens has increased property taxes to cover the burden on the school system and to cover the cost of bi-lingual officers. I have seen increased traffic accidents and known 2 people that were injured in accidents with illegals that either fled or never showed to court and of course had no ins. It is chaos in places like the DMV, ER, post office, health dept. even grocery stores dealing with the crowding and language barrier. Rental property has twice the people living in the units than codes allow, yards are filled with cars, chickens, hogs, most have aluminum foil on the windows. There are more Spanish TV stations and signs and billboards in Spanish only.]
[.I do not work with the public so don’t have so many personal experiences, but have heard my share of them from police officers, jailers and teachers and health workers I know

On a more positive and personal note, I did get very close with the children of a family that I expect most were illegal, that lived across the street in a rental. The girls spent a lot of time at my house, their parents worked one shift at Tyson and their grandparents and aunt another shift. They worked in a town long enough to get money to live a few yrs. across the boarder and add on to their house and then back to the US to work a few more yrs and send money back. Those were very wonderful kids and it broke my heart when they moved. We kept in touch for a few yrs. and finally lost touch.

6) What do you think the future will be like if things do or do not change regarding this issue? The entire country will be like I hear some of the boarder towns are. Wages will continue to depress, government services will exhausted, hospitals will close. The language barrier will create tension and violence. There will be a distinct line between the wealthy that exploit the illegals and poor. There will be no more middle class or American dream.

7) What are the most serious issues regarding illegal immigration in your area?
Over crowed schools, jails and court systems and the inherent difficulties in dealing with language, culture and false information. Increased crime. Stress on the health care system. Over population, stress on the infrastructure.

8) Do you have any suggestions/solutions to help with illegal immigration? Build a real boarder fence. Enforce existing laws, deport.

9) What is the difference between the immigrants we see today and the immigrants from the 1900's? I wasn’t around in the 1900’s. The difference I see is newer immigrants mostly from Latin America refuse to assimilate and expect a hand out. They don’t intend to become US citizens, but feel they already own the continent. The older immigrants I know and immigrants from Poland, Germany, Taiwan, Korea and India have learned English and speak it in business dealings and public, they assimilated and are proud to be in American as and American.

10) (last one!) If you could tell the President of the United States one thing about illegal immigration what would you say? I wouldn’t waste my breath. It doesn’t affect him and I honesty don’t believe he can comprehend the burden it is putting on this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration