U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:05 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That was WAY back there. Obviously, illegal immigrants are "immigrants". The problem few want to address is that just as obviously, this is misleading, just as evidenced in Spongers "apples" examples (see above). This is the 'crux" of the issue (I get the feeling here I'm not telling you anything you don't already know).

A "car" can be a beautiful set of 'wheels' parked in your driveway, or a mangled block of compressed metallic rubble in a recycle yard. Both are "cars", yet you know, and I know, and almost everyone ELSE knows, that "going out to buy a car" usually means the former, not the latter.

But, as you say, this is fun, so by all means, "spin it" any way you want. I'll defer to your extensive knowledge, and only contribute what I can...
So i'm guessing many of the definitions in the dictionary are misleading too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
What kind of dictionary does the anti-immigrant crowd look at? I would love to have a copy.
P.C., as it's used today, normally isn't included in a dictionary, at least not until long after it's adoption into the language. PC, (which is largely what 'fuels' this issue), in fact, consists heavily of sanitized 'code words' and euphemisms, which are selected precisely because the DON'T fit the dictionary definition. That's why they're used.

Whether something agrees with a dictionary definition or not doesn't take away from its understood "new" meaning...as in the example I cited earlier, "martyr". What are "issues"? What is a "value judgement"? What is "aceptable behavior", and what is "appropriate"? Frankly, I don't know. But I can guess....and I'm sure that you would guess differently..as would the ACLU.

Besides, I thought dictionaries were written by "dead white guys", anyway...and since when do we listen to THEM?

PS Who, precisely, is the "anti-immigrant crowd" anyway?..., and what would prompt one to assume that the entire 'crowd' would use any one certain dictionary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Just a pro illegal fan grasping at straws here..........its desperation is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,612,754 times
Reputation: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Spin it anyway you want to.. illegal immigrants are immigrants.

Btw, i've even heard lou dobbs call them illegal immigrants.
You're completely missing my point, either intentionally due to ideology or perhaps because of my inability to articulate my position effectively (if that's the case I apologize). Yes, in a technical sense illegal immigrants are immigrants otherwise how would they have gotten here. My objection is the intentional parsing of words strictly for agenda purposes. The term immigrant presupposes that it was done legally, unfortunately due to lc (liberal correctness) a blur has been made to soften the effects of someone being identified as "illegal". Calling them immigrants is misleading and intentional all for the purpose of pushing a one world open border society.

A question for you; if you have children or plan on doing so some day, what would you teach your child about butting in line? Please answer this as truthfully as possible. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:15 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
So i'm guessing many of the definitions in the dictionary are misleading too?
PC does not always agree with dictionary definitions. This isn't so much an example of dictionaries being "misleading', as it is of dictionary meanings being ignored, 'spun', or simply altered to meet the speaker's needs. Today, words can be made to mean anything we want them to mean. "Friendly Fire" for example.....I don't know how YOU define 'friendly', but it doesn't sound like a 'friendly' way to treat people....in my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,629,205 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
If this is directed to me, I don't get it? I didn't ask what immigration meant.
Actually, yes, it was directed at you.

Quote:
I asked why illegal aliens are referred to as immigrants. Immigrants are here legally, therefore illegals shouldn't be referred to as immigrants
I was just saying that the word immigrant does not automatically imply legal. It is not a part of the the definition of immigrant so your statement is wrong. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
A question for you; if you have children or plan on doing so some day, what would you teach your child about butting in line? Please answer this as truthfully as possible. Thanks
I'll answer that. I'd tell MY kids that lines are OK for some people, but that it's OK to use 'alternate methods' as well. I'd tell them that if they really want to get ahead, they SHOULD butt in line. And I'd THEN tell them to inform the OTHER kiddies that it's all right to butt in line, as long as no one tells you NOT to. And I'd remind them that the whole concept of 'lines' is just racist, anyway. Notice that those at the 'head of the line' always seem to get served FIRST? Doesn't that seem just a little 'fishy'? If they'd let those in the back get ahead, it might be fair. But no, those in front of the line are always first. For that reason, I'd tell MY kids to push their way ahead, that rules are for sissies, and that besides, it doesn't matter if you push ahead, as long as you do it in a nice way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
You're completely missing my point, either intentionally due to ideology or perhaps because of my inability to articulate my position effectively (if that's the case I apologize). Yes, in a technical sense illegal immigrants are immigrants otherwise how would they have gotten here. My objection is the intentional parsing of words strictly for agenda purposes. The term immigrant presupposes that it was done legally, unfortunately due to lc (liberal correctness) a blur has been made to soften the effects of someone being identified as "illegal". Calling them immigrants is misleading and intentional all for the purpose of pushing a one world open border society.

A question for you; if you have children or plan on doing so some day, what would you teach your child about butting in line? Please answer this as truthfully as possible. Thanks
Who said the term immigrant has anything to do with doing it illegally or legally?

I woudn't teach my kids to butt in line but some of those who come in illegally have no line to stand in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:25 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Just a pro illegal fan grasping at straws here..........its desperation is growing.
The only one showing desperation here is your invisible hammer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,629,205 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
For that reason, I'd tell MY kids to push their way ahead, that rules are for sissies, and that besides, it doesn't matter if you push ahead, as long as you do it in a nice way.
Wow - you guys really are insane here, eh?
I think I'll stick with the crazies in the Religion/Philosophy forum.

By the way, what do you call this kind of thinking in the above post?
Extreme capitalism? Is that a popular way to raise kids today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top