Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Good for you.

Now go pick some lettuce and clean some public toilets.
What makes you think US citizens haven't/aren't doing that?
I worked as a maid for Holiday Inn from the time I was 13-17. I worked weekends during the school year and full time during the summer....yes as a 13 year old. I scrubbed plenty of strangers toilets, and while I didn't pick lettuce my husband did detassle more then his fair share of corn. So please knock off the 'only illegals know how to work hard and do the 'icky' jobs of society' bs. You may not have been willing to do that to make a living, but I sure as hell did. And I wasn't the only white or black person on the job either.

And here is a personal story for you in regards to your insistence the illegals are the hardest workers. When my dh was in college, he would work roofing in the summers down in Austin Tx. My dhs experience with the illegal workforce at that time was that they demanded to be paid (at least partially) up front and then would disapear after lunch. But I'm sure that the illegals of today have a much better work ethic then those of 15 years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:26 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
that American citizens arent supposed to do...........
I roto-tilled my front yard, raked it......fertilized it.......leveled it.......
and sodded it............and all without the help of an illegal..............ya know..........one of those jobs us gringos wont do.................for a wage we wont accept...................Now I will admit that my son also helpe but I fed him all the pizza he could eat................
Did I mention we hit 95.................with a hot south breeze and for those of you who know Oklahoma.......that was a tuff day................
Just sayin
Interesting, my folks back in the old hood in Hampton, VA did all their yard work themselves or paid High School kids who ran a lawn business to do it. Hampton, until recently, had a nearly non-existant illegal alien population. Here in Alexandria, no one does their own yardwork and we have a lot of illegal aliens who work in yard work. Co-incidence????

Old 06-03-2008, 05:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Interesting, my folks back in the old hood in Hampton, VA did all their yard work themselves or paid High School kids who ran a lawn business to do it. Hampton, until recently, had a nearly non-existant illegal alien population. Here in Alexandria, no one does their own yardwork and we have a lot of illegal aliens who work in yard work. Co-incidence????
nope, not a coincidence. If people are offering the service, people are usually going to go for it. Who has time to be gardnening? Most people are too busy working, and the people don't charge a lot.

I think it's hilarious that people act like the only ones hiring people to do yard work are these snooty, upper crust, rich people.

Theres a lot of people middle class, and even a lot of people in the hood who don't mind paying for the service once in awhile. At least the ones who care about keeping up their yard, and have a job that keeps them from having all the time in the world to do yard work.

I like how people feel like the real common man, because they raked up a few leaves.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
nope, not a coincidence. If people are offering the service, people are usually going to go for it. Who has time to be gardnening? Most people are too busy working, and the people don't charge a lot.

I think it's hilarious that people act like the only ones hiring people to do yard work are these snooty, upper crust, rich people.

Theres a lot of people middle class, and even a lot of people in the hood who don't mind paying for the service once in awhile. At least the ones who care about keeping up their yard, and have a job that keeps them from having all the time in the world to do yard work.

I like how people feel like the real common man, because they raked up a few leaves.
I have no problem with people getting lawn service done for them. my problem is why cant it be done by the kids after school instead of companies that possibly hire illegals? I'm sure that there are a few kids in every middle class neighborhood in America who will do yard work for even cheaper charges than the professional companies. Heck my dudes in Hampton only charged $10 bucks for everything and you'll know that you are supporting AMERICAN labor. Can any professional company beat that?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I have no problem with people getting lawn service done for them. my problem is why cant it be done by the kids after school instead of companies that possibly hire illegals? I'm sure that there are a few kids in every middle class neighborhood in America who will do yard work for even cheaper charges than the professional companies. Heck my dudes in Hampton only charged $10 bucks for everything and you'll know that you are supporting AMERICAN labor. Can any professional company beat that?
Because too many kids are in front of the xbox.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Quote:
Good for you.

Now go pick some lettuce and clean some public toilets.
This moronic comment is really beneath you, dude. Very sad...

Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Because too many kids are in front of the xbox.
In my experience, a few dollars is enough to get them kids from out in front of the Xbox or the threat of severe punishment from a parent. If more parents had spines and made their kids responsible along with them for the upkeep of their home, that is eliminating about 25% of the jobs that illegals do.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Picking lettuce" is a good example of work Americans won't do...but "Cleaning toilets" isn't. Lots of people do that. Antonio Villaraigosa claims to clean "our" toilets....and he's not only a legal American, he's the mayor of Los Angeles...

(Actually, the mayor didn't say "I clean your toilets"....as I recall, he said "WE clean your toilets".....by 'we', I'm not sure whether he meant his fellow big-city mayors, his office staff, or the members of his country club....but I do remember him saying "WE CLEAN YOUR TOILETS", to thunderous applause...so I guess the illegals don't do ALL the 'grunt work'.....)
Isn't he an American, born and raised here? He's not even Mexican and he's speaking as if he's a Mexican immigrant (obviously he was referring to them). LOL this has to be my favorite post of yours!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,458 times
on the first page ... i thought the forumers were members of KKK(illegals version) for awhile there.. soooo racist. very insulting. in the first place.. why did you not do ANYthing very early on? it is only when you feel threatened that now u are doing something.. it sound to me more like you dont have the money to pay those illegals anymore coz of the recession.. prevention is the best way.. but now i think it is too late. i see a lot of bilingual as a MUST now on most job openings. that one i can not understand... how employers can tolerate that it is even a MUST that u speak spanish too or u won't get a job. u go to america at least learn to speak the language. it is YOUR own fault. if you did not learn to speak THEIR language.. that bilingual skill would not have happen and MUST not happen. i mean come on.

to bbkaren: are you talking to me? my point is:
WHY DID THE AMERICANS TOLERATED THE ILLEGALS.. WHEN YOU WERE A POWERFUL COUNTRY BACK IN THE 80S thats what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LBSer; 06-03-2008 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
Oh ferpetesakes make some damned sense willya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration