U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,853,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I just saw an El Camino in Pinellas County with "Conquista" written in large, easily identifiable, gangster-font on the back tailgate. Oh well.

And I forgot my camera today, dang!
You didn't forget your bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,853,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
and its offensive for many Mexicans to be mistaken for 'other Latinos', especially Guatemalans.
Which is unfortunate, and the same is said more so for Salvadoreans.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,707,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Which is unfortunate, and the same is said more so for Salvadoreans.
Then damn it they need to wear signs!!!!!! hello i am from.........

Old 01-22-2007, 02:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,475,004 times
Yes, you heard right and this is actially NOT new; rather this has been being said for some years now. Translation the reconquering; the land stolen by the U.S. from Mexico(California, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada) would be taken back by agrresive immigration to these parts. Worked so well that the policy became the defacto foreign policy of Mexico and expanded to the South. I speak Spanish fluently. However, about a year ago some landscapers were speking a language I did'nt get. Turns out that in Spanish I found out that they were speaking a Mayan dialect. Go figure.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 PM

597 posts, read 1,787,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Yes, you heard right and this is actially NOT new; rather this has been being said for some years now. Translation the reconquering; the land stolen by the U.S. from Mexico(California, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada) would be taken back by agrresive immigration to these parts. Worked so well that the policy became the defacto foreign policy of Mexico and expanded to the South. I speak Spanish fluently. However, about a year ago some landscapers were speking a language I did'nt get. Turns out that in Spanish I found out that they were speaking a Mayan dialect. Go figure.
Yes, I know this dialect you're referring to, but I"m not goin' to even attempt to spell it. But, this is another problem with a mass influx of immigrants, and now many are coming from central America and speak these strange langauges and dialects that people here don't know. There was actually a problem in a hospital somewhere in the southwest when somebody was seriously injured and they couldn't find a translator because this man was speaking this dialect.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 PM

1,275 posts, read 2,125,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I was just at the store and overheard two guys in spanish say the "reconquista" the reconquering is working and it won't be long. Did anyone ever hear of this ? My spanish is rough but it is where I can understand what is said. Is this something I'm missing ? I would like to know if anyone has heard of this.
This thread is funny, it all started with someone hearing a word and/or phrase and so these two guys speaking in spanish now appear to be representing a movement.

No, I'm not blind, I can see we have a problem with illegal immigration and see that it is just one of many many issues this country has. Think about it, though, let's say "hey, I was at the store and heard these two dark skinned guys speaking some arabic language and I heard jihad or something, should I be worried? Also, I didnt understand their language completely or was there to understand the content of their discussion or the context in which the word was used, should we all be worried though?"

Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM

598 posts, read 1,996,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
... hearing a word and/or phrase and so these two guys speaking in spanish now appear to be representing a movement.
Quote:
... let's say "hey, I was at the store and heard these two dark skinned guys speaking some arabic language and I heard jihad or something, should I be worried?

1. You are assuming they are not. Possibly they ARE talking about a movement. The OP asked us what we thought it could mean. We gave or opinions in light of the present situation.

2. Uhhh, yeah... If an someone saids something about jihad in Arabic and it doesn't get your attention, you're either a blooming idiot or you've been living under a rock to not understand what jihad means to us in light of 911.

If we always assume someone didn't really mean THAT, we are living in denial and leaving ourselves open to disaster. It is possible that they really DID mean what it seemed and we should be aware of these things so they have a more difficult time making progress for their "cause". I think it's best keeping the blinders off...

Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post

1. You are assuming they are not. Possibly they ARE talking about a movement. The OP asked us what we thought it could mean. We gave or opinions in light of the present situation.

2. Uhhh, yeah... If an someone saids something about jihad in Arabic and it doesn't get your attention, you're either a blooming idiot or you've been living under a rock to not understand what jihad means to us in light of 911.

If we always assume someone didn't really mean THAT, we are living in denial and leaving ourselves open to disaster. It is possible that they really DID mean what it seemed and we should be aware of these things so they have a more difficult time making progress for their "cause". I think it's best keeping the blinders off...

thanks, you just proved my point, people automatically assume the worse based on "the situation". So just because the issue is in the spotlight, does that mean it always applies and we're correct to assume it based on overhearing a small part of someones conversation.

Jihad was purposely used. Most Americans only want to understand the fudamentalist definition and we think it always applies. So we hear it and think the worst. But it has more meanings that are in use:

ji·had
Variant(s): also je·had /ji-'häd, chiefly British -'had/
Function: noun
Etymology: Arabic jihAd
1 : a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty; also : a personal struggle in devotion to Islam especially involving spiritual discipline
2 : a crusade for a principle or belief

In my scenario, it could have been two people who just converted to islam and going their own personal struggles with their beliefs. I dont know that, but I wouldnt just assume that since I heard that word post 9/11 that I need to assume it is the worse case scenario and cause a scare.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,707,396 times
In these days, if you ignore everything you are just setting yourself up. People need to be aware, these are not the days of Ozzy and Harriet.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
In these days, if you ignore everything you are just setting yourself up. People need to be aware, these are not the days of Ozzy and Harriet.
no one said you had to ignore, but being aware means focusing on the totality of the circumstances and not focusing on one item and basing the rest on generalities. So it's two hispanic looking men. Were they college students discussing a report or thesis? Is it two migrant farm workers talking about something they heard through the grapevine? Is it an older man talking about history to a younger man? The thing is it appeared a lot of people jumed to a conclusion based on limited information.

No one said to ignore, but asking questions should be more important than jumping to conclusions on limited info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration