U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:04 AM

4,296 posts, read 6,115,857 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, why exactly is immigration one of the 'top' issues in politics? Immigrate legally; What is so hard about that? The Irish faced the same hardships, and long waits for their legal immigration, but they didn't complain. I'm a staunch Republican, and I think immigration is just fine, as long as you go through the process. The fact that the border can be stormed so easily by illegals disturbs me, if people can make it across in one piece, what stops drugs, illegal firearms, etc. from doing the same?

Please don't give me the Liberals vs. Conservative garbage. Liberal countries are twice as hard on immigrants as the US. Anyone looked at Canada's immigration policy lately?

*stepping off soapbox*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 AM

23,003 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Out of curiosity, why exactly is immigration one of the 'top' issues in politics? Immigrate legally; What is so hard about that? The Irish faced the same hardships, and long waits for their legal immigration, but they didn't complain. I'm a staunch Republican, and I think immigration is just fine, as long as you go through the process. The fact that the border can be stormed so easily by illegals disturbs me, if people can make it across in one piece, what stops drugs, illegal firearms, etc. from doing the same?

Please don't give me the Liberals vs. Conservative garbage. Liberal countries are twice as hard on immigrants as the US. Anyone looked at Canada's immigration policy lately?

*stepping off soapbox*
As a resident of the Washington DC area i can tell you that common sense (for the most part) dies as soon as you go inside the capital beltway which includes Washington DC, the White House, and Congress.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Basically, this has been one of my 'sore points' for years. Why is illegal immigration an "issue" at all ?...why does it have its "pros" and its "antis", and why all the impassioned arguments? Illegal immigration, in the end, is a simple matter of trespassing. We deal with trespassers by stopping them, fining them, and telling them "don't do it again", just like any other minor crime. We don't get into a huge societal argument over petty crime...USUALLY.

My GUESS is that illegal immigration has a lot of "pizazz" as an issue, and raises such emotions, and causes so much departure from plain common sense, because it can be made to LOOK like a racial conflict. It isn't, it shouldn't be thought of that way, and the racists involved on BOTH sides are rather 'beside the point'. Yet, that's how MOST of us view it, as a "racial issue". It's often been compared to slavery, and we hear frequent mention of how illegals are "oppressed". Some even insist "If you're against illegals, you're against Hispanics"....

ANY issue, in ANY sector of life, is going to get GREAT 'press', and LOTS of attention, if it can be called a 'racial issue'. Illegal immigration is such an issue.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-05-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
The USA has more legal immigration -- BY FAR -- than any other country in the world.

Illegal immigration should not be an issue, the laws on immigration should be enforced, the system isn't broken.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

*stepping off soapbox*
A lot of people are pissed off with the fact that up to 8,000 illegals a day break in, day after day, and the fed gov does no real enforcement, on purpose. ICE deports about 500 illegals a day and 8,000 illegals a day break in. The border is so porous that of those 500 illegals a day that are deported about 400 break right back in. The fed gov is run by and for special interest ruling elites who are providing so called cheap labor for a few select industries which is subsidized by the American taxpayers by fraudulently obtaining social services, ERs that have become illegals medical plan, overcrowding our schools and ruining the quality of our education, prisons overcrowded by incarcerating criminal illegals, etc., etc. The Neocons still are trying to provide the cheap labor that corporate America demands, while at the same time the Democratic politicians are trying desperately to bring about an amnesty for all of these, future Democratic voters if amnestied, illegals and thus engineer a permanent voting majority even if it subverts the voting process and ruins the country.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:13 PM

207 posts, read 373,039 times
It's an issue because ...

Drugs, thugs, gangs, organized crime, molestation, theft, home invasions, etc.

I don't like paying for Maria's 6th kid and her family's medical care.

And yet me as a good law abiding tax paying citizen has to foot her bill. I know that's so because I know people who work in the Med industry. White middle class is subsidizing it's own displacement.

They come here for what? To buy a big screen TV and some bling and that's all America is to them one big giant Wal-Mart. They didn't go through the hell our grand parents went through to become citizens. Our government pays the tab for illegals but our grand parents didn't get help like this.

Our grand-fathers fought in WW II to "WILL" a peaceful, free, prosperous America to their offspring. To turn America into Zimbabwexicoanistansia is a spit in the face to every veteran who served in WW I & II.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 AM

219 posts, read 378,522 times
I agree with everyone here, yeah, it shouldn't be an issue and wouldn't be IF the laws were being followed but since they are not, here we are. I have been reading a book called "Invasion" if you want to read about what our open borders do for every criminal and terrorist in this country read that book and it is SCARY! Illegal immigration is an issue for me because they are able to just walk in. Not that there shouldn't be any immigration, it is how they do it. No one should be able to just step across the border and be able to do what they want. There is a process and it should be followed IF you want to stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration