U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times

Advertisements

blacknight04 is correct. As someone who has jumped through every bit of the immigration course, it is not a "slam dunk" to just apply.

Many people apply and many are denied. A eprson must show everything ranging from health insurance to financial ability.

A student visa does not apply towards permenent status, once the visa is done, they better find an employer that will sponsor them or they are gone. I have seen this time and time again.

I am in progress right now of setting someone up for visa forgery, they are paying me to be a sponsor for one of their relatives. They have relatives right now in the country on a tourist visa but they have no plans on leaving, they plan on staying here as illegals.

So of course you know darn well I will have none of that in my country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:44 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,913,643 times
How about force employers to pay a fine every month for temporary visa while they put more money to make the person a legal citizen? I am guessing the employers are in it for the profit and won't sponsor them... someone should shut down their business...

Old 06-05-2008, 08:59 PM

233 posts, read 389,677 times
Default thanks Kele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
It's the last step in her application and she is being assisted by the college. They're so sure that she'll be here that they've already awarded her grant money for next semester.

I'd say it's a slam dunk.

I believe what the OP is saying is that those of you who are illegal alien sympathizers should at least make the effort. That way, those of us who don't want to support their illegal activities won't have to.
That is exactly what I was trying to say Kele, if those that feel such sympathy for them want to help, then let them put up their own resources to help them. Me I would rather see my tax dollars go to helping our vets and elderly who have already demonstrated their love for this country by fighting for its freedoms and building it. Why do we want to bring in more poverty sticken people when we so often turn a blind eye towards those already here legally? There is only so much to go around and I beleive we should care for our own before trying to be the good guys and bringing in more needy. The way we treat our own people should have us hanging our head in shame at times, not everyone who is homeless here is a drug adict or lazy, I have seen many people end up on the streets because of illness and no insurance.....people who have worked many years and just fall thru the cracks, they don't make enough to buy insurance but they make just a little too much to qualify for any programs because they are legal. Instead of worrying what the rest of the world is thinking of us, how about making sure the people who were born and those that came here legally are well provided for.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:30 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
Since I am an immigrant I will chime in. I came to the US with a student visa. Yes you are required to have a letter does says you have the money to support yourself because you are not allowed to work. I was planning to go back home but then I met my husband while I was in school. After we got married I had to apply for permanent residence. Which "only" took 3 years. I had to have a physical too which was mainly about sexually transmitted diseases. Oh and in the Charlotte office employees wear gloves to make sure they don't catch our cooties.

No, a private individual can not sponsor anyone. I inquired about it because I wanted to bring the person who lovingly cared for my grandmother with end stage Alzheimer's. She was an illegal in Spain when my family hired her. My family legalized her and she started to pay Social Security and other taxes. She was awesome with my grandmother and I wanted her to care for my children while I went back to work. She is from South America so the US was closer to her family.

Work permits can only be applied for if a company requests them after proving they can not find employees in the US. There all this rules about advertising the job, etc... Basically a big hassle that they don't want to do.
If a person could request their own visa and pay all kind of fees they would. Illegals pay "coyotes" all the time. They are also willing to pay taxes.
If I had been able to hire the person I wanted I myself would be paying income taxes now.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
A student visa (F-1) is by nature a temporary visa that is renewed infinitely as long as the alien remains in school. A student visa doesn't give you an option to become a legal resident. The only way to obtain legal residency is through obtaining a permanent visa, i.e. a family visa or an employment visa, or through the DV lottery.
So the person put in the effort to come to the country with a visa but she has no means of becoming a legal resident unless she applies for a family or employment visa or wins the DV lottery. The only possible sponsors for her to become a legal resident are employers, citizen/perm. resident family or a government agency.

There is a considerable amount of requirements in order to obtain a student visa. The alien has to demonstrate that the he/she can support herself in the U.S. (education expenses and living expenses) and her dependent without working or with limited employment.
I said that she came here on a student visa. Her residency is not riding upon the student visa.

The University is assisting her with her legal residency. She must go home in June and return in August. She has part time employment here and has received grants from both the University (based on her major) and her home country. She has cash in the bank, but to satisfy Homeland Security, she must be sponsored by a citizen--which is where we come in.

She is coming back to continue school, but not on a student visa. She dotted "i"s and crossed her "t"s before the semester came to an end and is now finishing up her process.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:56 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I said that she came here on a student visa. Her residency is not riding upon the student visa.

The University is assisting her with her legal residency. She must go home in June and return in August. She has part time employment here and has received grants from both the University (based on her major) and her home country. She has cash in the bank, but to satisfy Homeland Security, she must be sponsored by a citizen--which is where we come in.

She is coming back to continue school, but not on a student visa. She dotted "i"s and crossed her "t"s before the semester came to an end and is now finishing up her process.
Sponsored for what type of visa? Because as noted individuals can't sponsor if they are not immediate relatives.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:
Sponsored for what type of visa? Because as noted individuals can't sponsor if they are not immediate relatives.
I didn't ask her--why do I need to know?

What I do know is that because of a requirement by Homeland Security, we filled out an Affidavit of Support for her and they accepted the paperwork.

Apparently there are cases in which individuals can sponsor someone for legal residency.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Then please explain how my father was sponsored by an individual who was not a relative back in 1951?

Remember that he had no relatives on his side of the family living here in the USA at the time.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Then please explain how my father was sponsored by an individual who was not a relative back in 1951?

Remember that he had no relatives on his side of the family living here in the USA at the time.
Keyword 1951 and the year now is 2008. It is soo much more harder and tougher now than it was back then.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
blacknight04 is correct. As someone who has jumped through every bit of the immigration course, it is not a "slam dunk" to just apply.

Many people apply and many are denied. A eprson must show everything ranging from health insurance to financial ability.

A student visa does not apply towards permenent status, once the visa is done, they better find an employer that will sponsor them or they are gone. I have seen this time and time again.

I am in progress right now of setting someone up for visa forgery, they are paying me to be a sponsor for one of their relatives. They have relatives right now in the country on a tourist visa but they have no plans on leaving, they plan on staying here as illegals.

So of course you know darn well I will have none of that in my country.
Nor should it be a slam dunk.

Every immigrant should be sponsored, employer-sponsor would be preferable. The sponsor should be required to provide his immigrant a medical insurance policy, agree to provide all costs for his immigrant should the immigrant become in need.

Never should the taxpayers have to pay for the immigrants others wish to bring in. Employers should not be allowed to use immigration to lower the wages or to have cheaper employees or dump the costs of his immigrants onto others. If someone really needs labor so much that it must be imported, then he should be willing to pay a little extra for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or