U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:30 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Keyword 1951 and the year now is 2008. It is soo much more harder and tougher now than it was back then.
It's not harder -- the USA has far more legal immigrants than any other nation in the world. Over 10% of the population here is foreign-born and we have more immigrants and immigrant-head of household families living on social safety-net programs than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's not harder
When was the last time you dealt with immigration?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:48 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
When was the last time you dealt with immigration?
Every day. I live in a city where over a third are foreign born and a even larger number were born to that group.

Immigration should not be a free-for-all. The entire world might like to move into the USA, but the entire world cannot move into the USA.

Immigration should be limited to those people who have the desire to be American, who wish to learn our language and have the ability. It should be limited to those people who are not welfare dependent and the only way to guarantee that is to require a sponsor who agrees to provide any needed financial support.

Obviously the USA has no shortage of immigrants and our laws on immigration are far more lenient than most other countries are. The population of the USA is doubling every few decades mostly as a result of sky-high immigration. We're already over 300 million in population and meeting the energy needs of this many is a problem -- imagine when millions more arrive.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Every day. I live in a city where over a third are foreign born and a even larger number were born to that group.
I meant with INS. I find that most people don't have a clue of what hoops we have to go through.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,798,692 times
Another back door scam that is very popualr in my area is churches sponsoring people to come over here under "refugee" status.

The scam is like this.....the chuch goes and exploits people that are economically disadvantaged. They sponsor them to come over here to America for legal residency under refugee status.

I have no idea how the churches pull this refugee status off other than they must have members on the inside or something because the countries theses people come from are no way shape or form worthy of people to claim refugee status.

Anyway, when they are over here, the church sets them up with employment with local companies, there is one bakery here that employes a few hundred of them, the president of the bakery is a church member.

Many of them get free passes to the local university, it is a private one owned by the Church of God I beleive, it is called Lee University.

They also have this association here that gets money from the city that assist immigrants, illegal ones also, in everything here ranging from employment to learning English to medical assistance.

So they work here and guess what?! They then give 8-16% of their pay to the church.

So in my mind it is just some big scam for the church to get money, sort of like modern day indentured servants.

I think it is BS and I am actively trying to do something about it. I imagine this same scam is going on across the nation, not just in my area.

The hospital here was owned by the county before it was sold to a private company. When it was owned by the county, illegals had NO financial obligation to pay for any medical expenses incurred. This is not speculation on my part, this is coming straight from the financial assistance office along with the sign behind each desk which clearly states so. When I asked my financial assistance lady about it, she went on to say more that yes, any illegal immigrant and get this, non-permenent resident, are not required to pay hospital costs, these costs are covered by the county.

The hospital was losing much money though and was bought out.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I meant with INS. I find that most people don't have a clue of what hoops we have to go through.
Heck yes! I had to go through hell and highwater for my wife.

It involved lots of money and traveling to two countries just to get her visa to come here.

It went smooth after that but that initial process was the biggest pain. I do not know why they feel the need to make it that dang complicated, expensive and time consuming.

I hated the remove conditional residence thing, talk about a rip off. Hundreds of dollars and a 2 hour trip just so my wife can stand in line for 4 hours and get asked a few questions, photographed and fingerprinted.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Heck yes! I had to go through hell and highwater for my wife.

It involved lots of money and traveling to two countries just to get her visa to come here.

It went smooth after that but that initial process was the biggest pain. I do not know why they feel the need to make it that dang complicated, expensive and time consuming.

I hated the remove conditional residence thing, talk about a rip off. Hundreds of dollars and a 2 hour trip just so my wife can stand in line for 4 hours and get asked a few questions, photographed and fingerprinted.
What really po'ed me was the physical. They were looking for genital warts and other sexually transmitted diseases. It made me feel like the expected me to sleep around. I had married the love of my life, I wasn't a w***. Then once I applied for adjustment of status from student visa to permanent residence I wasn't allowed to leave the country. This was a couple of years. I wanted to see my grandparents but I was not allowed. I made the mistake of moving and they lost my file while transferring it. They kept telling me to write letter to the other office. Finally my husband had to contact his senators office for them to do something. In the end my grandfather passed before I was able to go visit my family.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 AM

They made my wife go through a physical that we ahd to pay for because they did not allow the military to do one for her to submit, that cost a cool $350.

We were living in the UK at the time (don't even get me started on the UK or the Navy on their great "assistance") and I was getting dsicharged so we were processing the visa in London.

The idiots lost her blood test, and did not tell us for weeks, neverminding that i was due to leave. So we had to go, get another blood test (had to pay again, but only $20) but the visa did not get processes by the time her and I had to leave.

We transfered the stuff to her home country where we were living, but guess what, they don't process visas in her country, we had to go to a neighboring country for it.

We go there and to find out, they remade the appointment for a latter date, 2 weeks from then, so we traveled back to her country then went back in 2 weeks.

After waiting for 5 hours, we finally got her visa, of course some pick it up the next day.

After that, at least no problems knock on wood, coming up for citizenship submitting at the end of August, so will see how that goes.

They did not allow you to leave? how is that? As far as I know permenent residents can leave for up to 6 months out of a year and up to one year with notification of the embassy, your permenent residence won't be effected but your time for citizenship would be.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
They did not allow you to leave? how is that? As far as I know permenent residents can leave for up to 6 months out of a year and up to one year with notification of the embassy, your permenent residence won't be effected but your time for citizenship would be.

I was applying for permanent residency. It is called adjustment of status. Basically since I was here legally they didn't make me go home and wait until everything was done. They have since changed the rules. There is visa which is also for fiances(sp?). K-1 I think. Those physicals are expensive and you can't used just any doctor. And insurance doesn't cover them.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Hmmm I dealt with INS for my wife as well. The initial process I hired a lawyer who specialized in immigration. $1200.00. Best money I ever spent because everything went smooth and trouble free. Even during her adj. status she was allowed to travel outside of the USA and we did.
Back on topic.
Regardless of said difficulties our system is more than fair especially when compared to most. No matter what the illegals excuse we owe them no special considerations. Its upon them to prove their merit and worth. It is also our right to decline a visa.
Suzie my wifes physical was nothing like what you described. I think maybe you had a perv for a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or