U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,173,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Why? If enough of you pro-illegals participated, it would be doable. Why not petition assistance from La Raza, Maldef, the Chamber of Commerce, ACLU, SPLC, and other pro-illegal organizations. I'm sure the Washington Post and the NY Times would be more than happy to publicize your efforts to garner more support for your cause. They would even provide sob stories full of color photos of the poor “hard-working” illegals. It sounds like an excellent idea.
Absolutely!

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
If you are a part of the pro side of this arguement then why not put YOUR money where your mouth is. Isn't it possible for the average citizen to sponsor people from other countries? That way YOU can be responsible for their medical and other needs and my tax dollar can go to programs that benefit the American and legal immigrants who I prefer to help and support. If there is such a large number of people who want these illegals to remain here then there should be no problem for them all to choose to be responsible for anyone they feel should be here........sponsor them with your money and be responsible for their livlihood, don't decide where, how and on who my tax dollar should be spent.

Of course you will have to learn to speak Spanish fluently!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,691,255 times
The ignorance of the original poster is astounding. There is no way to "sponsor" anyone but an "Immediate Relative" (IR) for a Permanent Residence (PR). IR's include; spouses, siblings, and children.

You can pledge to financially support someone who already has a US-citizen relative (or possibly someone who has obtained a student or diversity lottery visa), so they will be allowed to apply for a PR, but you cannot get a visa for someone who is unrelated to you.

So, unless the original poster is suggesting that everyone marry a potential immigrant--and this does not apply to illegal immigrants, as entering without inspection bars them from applying for a PR within the US--this is simply another excellent example of the ignorance of a large portion of the anti-immigrant crowd.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,036,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
The ignorance of the original poster is astounding. There is no way to "sponsor" anyone but an "Immediate Relative" (IR) for a Permanent Residence (PR). IR's include; spouses, siblings, and children.

You can pledge to financially support someone who already has a US-citizen relative (or possibly someone who has obtained a student or diversity lottery visa), so they will be allowed to apply for a PR, but you cannot get a visa for someone who is unrelated to you.

So, unless the original poster is suggesting that everyone marry a potential immigrant--and this does not apply to illegal immigrants, as entering without inspection bars them from applying for a PR within the US--this is simply another excellent example of the ignorance of a large portion of the anti-immigrant crowd.
Why not go down to the parts of town where the day laborers hang out and offer your ssn to as many people that want it? Then perhaps you could go to the local ER and offer your ssn and insurance ID number. After all, if you truly were pro illegal immigration, you wouldn't be adverse to suffering a little for the poor, the weak and the desperate illegals.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:

First, Ignorance? I don't think so. I believe the OP was trying to make a point that all of those people who are pro-ILLEGAL alien, why don't they offer to foot the bill for schools, hospitals, social services, etc. The rest of us are sick of paying for lawbreakers who do not belong here.

Second, here we go again. I bolded that you wrote anti-immigrant. Why must you write wrong information? The OP and others here including myself are not anti-immigrant. We are anti-illegal alien. Please reread the OP post. She welcomes legal immigrants. Big difference and I am sorry that you refuse to distinguish between the two. But then again that is part of the OBL's playbook to paint Americans and Legal citizens who want the law enforced as radicals.

Nicolem

Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I didn't ask her--why do I need to know?

What I do know is that because of a requirement by Homeland Security, we filled out an Affidavit of Support for her and they accepted the paperwork.

Apparently there are cases in which individuals can sponsor someone for legal residency.

No there is not.

An Affidavit of Support is needed for every alien who applies for a permanent visa. The Affidavit of Support satisfies DHS requirements that the alien won't be a public charge to the United States, like going on welfare or getting public benefits, like food stamps.

The Affidavit of Support just indicates that another U.S. citizen assumes the responsibility of the financial welfare of the alien...it has absolutely nothing to do with sponsoring an alien for a visa.

Once again, this just shows how little the anti-immigrant crowd really know about this issue.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,792,255 times
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:26 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,691,255 times
Thank you for your responses. They are a little more reasonable than the usual screeching from the anti-immigrant crowd. I'll try to give a succinct reply.
Let me clarify my position. I am:
1. Anti illegal immigration: I would like to see everyone without a criminal record who is living and working within the US properly documented and incorporated into our social support, labor protection, and tax systems. I would like to see entry without inspection (border hopping) stopped through stricter border controls (fences) and through increased availability of immigration visas.
2. Pro-fair-immigration: I would like to see a pathway to citizenship for every person who can find a job, obey the law, pay taxes, and keep their family above the poverty line. I would like to see a large number of non-family visas issued to potential immigrants who wish to enter the US from any country. The number of visas should be tied to federal unemployment statistics and decrease when unemployment is high. I want to see an end to all non-IR (immediate relatives: brothers, grandparents, parents of adult children) immigration visas, as I believe immigrants should only be allowed in on their own merits (and labor) rather than according to whom they are related.
3. Pro-amnesty: I would like to see a pathway to citizenship for the large population of illegal/undocumented/entered without inspection currently within the US. The pathway should include fines for the civil violation of crossing the border illegally, a criminal background check, a requirement to pay back taxes owed on wages, and a demonstrated ability to support one's family and pay taxes without becoming a ward of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Why not go down to the parts of town where the day laborers hang out and offer your ssn to as many people that want it? Then perhaps you could go to the local ER and offer your ssn and insurance ID number. After all, if you truly were pro illegal immigration, you wouldn't be adverse to suffering a little for the poor, the weak and the desperate illegals.
I don't need to go "down" to the parts of town where the day laborer's hang out. I live and work in the areas you avoid, or lock your doors in. Giving out my SSN would not make anyone a legal resident. Buying insurance and giving out my number would likewise solve nothing. I would be better off tossing wads of cash to anyone who wants one. It will not make a difference in their legal status, and it would not encourage them to commit a crime (like giving out my SSN or other ID might).

Then again, I want to give illegal alien residents a chance to legalize and become documented, productive, tax-paying citizens. They are prevented from doing so by lacking a piece of paper that says they can legally live and work here. That document is what they actually want and need, not any other sort of handout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
[/b]
(1) First, Ignorance? I don't think so. I believe the OP was trying to make a point that all of those people who are pro-ILLEGAL alien, why don't they offer to foot the bill for schools, hospitals, social services, etc. The rest of us are sick of paying for lawbreakers who do not belong here.

(2) Second, here we go again. I bolded that you wrote anti-immigrant. Why must you write wrong information? The OP and others here including myself are not anti-immigrant. We are anti-illegal alien. Please reread the OP post. She welcomes legal immigrants. Big difference and I am sorry that you refuse to distinguish between the two. But then again that is part of the OBL's playbook to paint Americans and Legal citizens who want the law enforced as radicals.

Nicolem
(1) If that is the OP's point, then let me ask this in response:
For those who are anti-ILLEGAL alien, why are you so against giving people a fine and a piece of paper that will allow them to work at a fair wage and have their labor taxed, thus PAYING THEIR OWN bill for schools, hospitals, social services, etc? If supporting social services is your only concern, then you should be 100% for an amnesty plan that brings all that illegal labor into the tax system!!

(2) You, and the OP, and the vast majority of people--who have ancestors who immigrated generations ago when immigration controls were lax and have not dealt with USCIS recently--giving their uninformed opinions, have no idea about how the legal immigration system works. By supporting the current archaic immigration system and protesting against immigration reform, you are indeed taking an anti-immigrant stance. Saying you want immigration laws enforced means that you want immigration only for relatives of US citizens and PR's and a tiny handful of refugees.

But no skilled laborers, no unskilled laborers, no high-tech workers or college graduates. You want to exclude the types of immigrants who--in the past--fired the economic engines of this country and continue to let in only those with family connections to US citizens. How do you support such a position, or do you simply not understand what you are talking about?

Also: OBL? Are you seriously trying to equate an immigration discussion with a Saudi Arabian terrorist? Wow. You should apply for the job of White House Press Secretary.

Last edited by sponger42; 06-06-2008 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: lowercase "t"

Old 06-06-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your responses. They are a little more reasonable than the usual screeching from the anti-immigrant crowd. I'll try to give a succinct reply.
Let me clarify my position. I am:
1. Anti illegal immigration: I would like to see everyone without a criminal record who is living and working within the US properly documented and incorporated into our social support, labor protection, and tax systems. I would like to see entry without inspection (border hopping) stopped through stricter border controls (fences) and through increased availability of immigration visas.
2. Pro-fair-immigration: I would like to see a pathway to citizenship for every person who can find a job, obey the law, pay taxes, and keep their family above the poverty line. I would like to see a large number of non-family visas issued to potential immigrants who wish to enter the US from any country. The number of visas should be tied to federal unemployment statistics and decrease when unemployment is high. I want to see an end to all non-IR (immediate relatives: brothers, grandparents, parents of adult children) immigration visas, as I believe immigrants should only be allowed in on their own merits (and labor) rather than according to whom they are related.
3. Pro-amnesty: I would like to see a pathway to citizenship for the large population of illegal/undocumented/entered without inspection currently within the US. The pathway should include fines for the civil violation of crossing the border illegally, a criminal background check, a requirement to pay back taxes owed on wages, and a demonstrated ability to support one's family and pay taxes without becoming a ward of the state.

I don't need to go "down" to the parts of town where the day laborer's hang out. I live and work in the areas you avoid, or lock your doors in. Giving out my SSN would not make anyone a legal resident. Buying insurance and giving out my number would likewise solve nothing. I would be better off tossing wads of cash to anyone who wants one. It will not make a difference in their legal status, and it would not encourage them to commit a crime (like giving out my SSN or other ID might).

Then again, I want to give illegal alien residents a chance to legalize and become documented, productive, tax-paying citizens. They are prevented from doing so by lacking a piece of paper that says they can legally live and work here. That document is what they actually want and need, not any other sort of handout.

(1) If that is the OP's point, then let me ask this in response:
For those who are anti-ILLEGAL alien, why are you so against giving people a fine and a piece of paper that will allow them to work at a fair wage and have their labor taxed, thus PAYING THEIR OWN bill for schools, hospitals, social services, etc? If supporting social services is your only concern, then you should be 100% for an amnesty plan that brings all that illegal labor into the tax system!!

(2) You, and the OP, and the vast majority of people--who have ancestors who immigrated generations ago when immigration controls were lax and have not dealt with USCIS recently--giving their uninformed opinions, have no idea about how the legal immigration system works. By supporting the current archaic immigration system and protesting against immigration reform, you are indeed taking an anti-immigrant stance. Saying you want immigration laws enforced means that you want immigration only for relatives of US citizens and PR's and a tiny handful of refugees.

But no skilled laborers, no unskilled laborers, no high-tech workers or college graduates. You want to exclude the types of immigrants who--in the past--fired the economic engines of this country and continue to let in only those with family connections to US citizens. How do you support such a position, or do you simply not understand what you are talking about?

Also: OBL? Are you seriously trying to equate an immigration discussion with a Saudi Arabian terrorist? Wow. You should apply for the job of White House Press Secretary.

OBL stands for Open Borders Lobby

Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times
Quote:
Q: I am a US citizen and I have a friend in Jamaica (a Jamaican citizen)who has asked me if I would be willing to help her visit and possibly work temporarily in the U.S. I'd like to look into the legality of this can what is involved in sponsoring someone. Can you help me?

A: You cannot merely sponsor someone to come here to visit and temporarily work unless you are an employer and has a job to offer that no other American can do. The other option is to marry her or engage her and sponsor her that way. Other than that there are no other legal means under the immigration law. You can send her an invitation letter and she can apply for a visitor's visa to visit but she cannot work as a visitor legally, anyway.
Immigration questions and answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or