U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yeah people of Latin America are quite racist. You can see it on their soap operas, the lighter skin characters are always the "good" ones. Also there is quite a bit of machismo.
That is correct: most of the actors on telenovelas are not Mestizo/Indian------they are Mexicans of Danish, English, Spanish, etc. heritage. If I were a Latino; I would be hurt and very offended to say the least.

Quote:
I had a black co-worker that used to say that blacks lived a schizophrenic existence. They had to act "white" at work and "black" around their peers. So a racially black person will be rejected if the don't act "black" enough. I used to see it in college a lot. Whenever a few black students got together I couldn't understand a word they said. But when I spoke to them one-on-one I had no problems.
That seems to be dying out with at least the younger Black kids------especially those growing up in predominately 'Anglo' enclaves.

Quote:
In the Asian community I've heard the "white wash" term.
And the irony was in parts of the old Jim Crow South; people of Chinese and Japanese heritage were counted as 'White' for whatever the reasons.

In fact: Cheng and Eng Bunker; the original Siamese Twins, who were actually ethnic Chinese, their children in North Carolina were counted as 'White' in the US Census back in the 19th Century------and, some of the above 'Eurasian' kids owned Black slaves to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Gringo is usually meant as a foreigner. Thats why you don't really see Chicano's using it (unless they are trying to use it in that context.
I dont care how dictionaries say it, it's usually meant in the way people say, "psh. tourists.".
And if they ask someone if they are a gringo to their face, they probably mean it playfully. The way we like to call each other gordito, flaco, feito, etc etc.
We like to tease each other a lot. In American, you can't get away with calling someone "little fatty", "little ugly one" without someone crying and getting all offended. Different cultures.

And Anglo just refers to a large number of people in America who are Anglo-Saxon. And admit it, I bet outside immigrant rallies, you rarely if ever hear a white person referred to as Anglo casually. It's more like an umbrella term used to describe white Americans. Not a slur. Its an ethnic term.

examples of slurs: *******, greaser, ****, mexi-sh**, etc

THat like saying calling someone a Mex or a Hispanic is a slur.
'Greaser' these days also refers to someone who runs his car/truck on used cooking grease.......there is a auto repair shop near me that uses that word as part of its name.

In Australia the word Sp*ck is part of the name of a TV show.

And Sp*c is the name of a company in India; Southern Petrochemical Industries Corporation Ltd.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:40 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is correct: most of the actors on telenovelas are not Mestizo/Indian------they are Mexicans of Danish, English, Spanish, etc. heritage. If I were a Latino; I would be hurt and very offended to say the least.
The Mestizo/Indian actors play the low class characters. The thing is that the shows reflect the culture so there are not offended because that is part of their every day life.

Quote:
That seems to be dying out with at least the younger Black kids------especially those growing up in predominately 'Anglo' enclaves.
Not in the South.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:49 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,085,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
If millions of poor white uneducated immigrants were flooding into Mexico and doing the same I believe the feelings would be mutual among many Mexicans.
the mexican government wouldn't allow it. they are more than happy to get rid of their poorest citizens at the expense of the united states.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:45 PM

1,965 posts, read 2,373,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the mexican government wouldn't allow it. they are more than happy to get rid of their poorest citizens at the expense of the united states.
I heard somewhere that the Mexican government actually promotes the illegal immigration of its citizens to the US by encouraging them to do so. I'm not sure about the validity of what I heard (and I don't remember where I heard it), but I don't doubt it. Whether or not the Mexican government is doing this, I don't know, but it sure doesn't seem to be trying to stop its citizens from coming here illegally.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I heard somewhere that the Mexican government actually promotes the illegal immigration of its citizens to the US by encouraging them to do so. I'm not sure about the validity of what I heard (and I don't remember where I heard it), but I don't doubt it. Whether or not the Mexican government is doing this, I don't know, but it sure doesn't seem to be trying to stop its citizens from coming here illegally.
It doesn't officially "promote" illegal immigration to the US, because THAT would be WRONG. What the Mexican government DOES do, though, is publish many comic-book style leaflets explaining how the process works. It warns its citizens of what to avoid, how to assert their rights once 'across the line', and it vigorously watches over their welfare once they have "gone against its advice" and decided to emigrate illegally.

Mexican politicians also visit here occasionally, visiting "their" people (the ones who had to leave, because the politicians made their lives so 'tough' they couldn't earn a living at home), and they also meet with US mayors and other high officials, putting the 'pressure' on them to 'treat our people well', and to protest many of OUR internal policies that may be seen as contrary to the interests of the Mexican here (who are STILL Mexicans, and who are VERY MUCH VALUED by the Mexican government, the same government whose unfair policies caused these 'beloved' Mexicans to flee the poverty of their very wealthy home land)..The Mexican government also frequently reminds the US government of its (Mexico's) citizens' rights to free speech, and to publically assemble in vigorous protest of OUR policies. The Mexican government, for its own reasons, feels it can't allow foreigners in Mexico to 'meddle in politics', and that's a guaranteed way to get deported, quickly. But the Mexican government recognizes that the US is NOT Mexico, and that here, foreigners MAY loudly protest anything they please, including our government policies. The Mexican government makes sure its citizens are extended this right..because here, that's "the law", and the law should be respected.

Get it?....It takes a while to 'sort out', I know. "Short answer,"?.. NO, for the record, the Mexican Government does NOT officially tell its people to emigrate illegally to ANY country. That would be breaking the laws of that country. And the Mexican government does not encourage its citizens to break any laws...it just makes DARN SURE that when they DO, they get "good representation" and that their rights are respected...because that's the LAW.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-08-2008 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 06:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
'Greaser' these days also refers to someone who runs his car/truck on used cooking grease.......there is a auto repair shop near me that uses that word as part of its name.

In Australia the word Sp*ck is part of the name of a TV show.

And Sp*c is the name of a company in India; Southern Petrochemical Industries Corporation Ltd.
And sometimes when I fill a bag up with used, crumpled paper, I refer to it as white trash.

Doesn't make it any less hurtful if I used it to describe a human.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:50 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,485,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Catherine Zeta Jones is a perfect example of this....Looks Latina down to the curves

But we all know she is Welsh...
Actually the Celtic Welsh and Spanish are very similar genetically. Many Welsh people have a very Mediterranean appearance, with dark hair, Roman noses and sometimes a darker complection. I am half Welsh and I always have people tell me that I look Italian, Spanish or "part Mexican". Even had a few people tell me I looked Argentinean, however you do that. The other half comes from the British Isles as well.

Quote:
OTOH: I used to know a woman from Spain; born and raised-------who could not pass for 'Latina' if her life depended on it; she was slim with natural blonde hair and blue eyes. Needless to say, she spoke Spanish fluently.
It is kind of funny that people are a little taken back to hear about Spanish folks with blonde hair, like Spain isn't a European country with White inhabitants. I know you know that, but I've heard other people not believe that Spanairds can have blonde hair.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 AM

For that matter: my ancestral Y Chromosome is R1B; which is the most common one in Spain, Portugal, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and possibly France (along with many men here in the New Word, both Anglo and Hispanic)------and, is quite common in in Iran, etc. It originated in Spain 30K years ago. In my case it is odd: my father is from Hungary, but being a member of the 'Szekler' minority, who knows? That group is more UK/Iberian based than most Hungarians.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:12 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Politico I share your frustrations. However, I did go to school with a very sizable hispanic group in the 1970s. Most of them had been here a very long while and many of their parents refused to let them speak Spanish at home (which was a little sad because I knew some who couldn't communicate with their grandparents). Many of them would call themselves, "Tex-Mex" as Lee Trevino used to say.

Half my Christmas card list has Spanish surnames and most of them are either those I went to school with are those I met later -- but they were all born here and their parents were legal (as far as I know). I only know one who came here illegally on this list (brought by his parents as a small child).

Whenever I criticize illegal aliens here it really infuriates me when someone calls me a racist. I have been around long enough to see the difference between my friends and the recent arrivals (the vast majority of them are illegal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration