U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 PM

41 posts, read 189,204 times

Advertisements

Tell them that our laws must be enforced. Tell them our borders must be secured. Call your state's legislators and tell them to look at what a few states, such as Georgia, have done to try to stop illegals from feeling welcome here. The state of Georgia has passed laws making it illegal to employ illegals and hefty fines are imposed on employers of illegals to make it work. Illegals are actually leaving Georgia because they cannot hold a job here any longer because of these new laws. Call your elected officials TODAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 AM

8,221 posts, read 10,946,004 times
Racism comes from ignorance and fear. We isolate ourselves and fear what we don''t know or understand. People make associations that are erroneous. For instance... white people are white collar criminals so all whites are this. or Black people kill with guns, or Asians are all smart. It is an association that is being attached to a racial or other trait. While one person may have the trait and experience in common they are not from being this way or that.
Look at behaviors you don't like and dislike those, not the grooup as a whole which most don't have the behavior you dislike.
My prejudice is ignorance and stupidity, It is my effort to always learn something each day. I share my experiences freely and treat others as I want to be treated. It is a simple lifestyle one an ailing society needs perhaps.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:42 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,094,562 times
Well stated AONE.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'Greaser' these days also refers to someone who runs his car/truck on used cooking grease.......there is a auto repair shop near me that uses that word as part of its name.

In Australia the word Sp*ck is part of the name of a TV show.

And Sp*c is the name of a company in India; Southern Petrochemical Industries Corporation Ltd.

Are you referring to Spicks and Specks? So named after a Bee Gees song and referring to scattered memories, tiny particles of scattered memory. Surely to goodness people aren't taking issue with that?

I find it interesting that you've used this as an example particularly in this thread because as I was reading through I notice people getting upset by the use of the term Mexican.
I just wanted to offer a different perspective. Coming from Victoria whenever I venture "up north" I am always referred to as a Mexican on account I come from south of the border. I'd rather be referred to as a Mexican (Victorian) than a Banana Bender (Queenslander) or worse a Cockroach (New South Welshman).
When I was growing up I lived in an area that at the time had a large Greek and Italian community and the "wogs" always referred to us Aussies as "Skips". The term "wog" has been celebrated here by many Australians to such an extent that we have some classic movies and songs about "wogs".
All of us wear our nicknames as badges of honour and take them in the spirit they are meant. Sure, there are times when those terms are used in a derogatory manner but you'll always find people that will do that. Bottom line, for the most part Australia has embraced multiculturalism and the idea of a fair go applies to everyone, no matter what their background or heritage.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 AM

521 posts, read 1,459,502 times
Dear Politico,
I hope you dont become racist either. Not that listing 100 reasons why Mexicans annoy you is no indicator that you already are a racist, hiding behind the blanket of "hoping of not becoming racist."
I would suggest quit creating these threads, trying to convince others why they should think about becoming racist, and outright say that Mexicans **** you off.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
. Bottom line, for the most part Australia has embraced multiculturalism and the idea of a fair go applies to everyone, no matter what their background or heritage.
Sounds like a great idea, and my best wishes go out to Australia in its new, somewhat belated notion of embracing multiculturalism. Now, if you can find a way to make sure that ALL of your new arrivals, no matter what their background or heritage, are as determined to give Australia a "fair go", as she's extended to them, then your future looks promising indeed.

The best to all of you....

Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,491,753 times
I appreciate the OP's honest post, but it's still a little shortsighted I must say.

You have to realize Hispanic isn't even a race of people. It is a very vague category made up to group a very diverse cross-section of people. The problem you are having OP is mainly with a specific subset of illegal Mexicans. Deal with people on an individual basis and you will never have an issue.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Dear Politico,
I hope you dont become racist either. Not that listing 100 reasons why Mexicans annoy you is no indicator that you already are a racist, hiding behind the blanket of "hoping of not becoming racist."
I would suggest quit creating these threads, trying to convince others why they should think about becoming racist, and outright say that Mexicans **** you off.
I am prejudiced against illegal immigrants---------no matter their race/ethnicity.

The cold reality is that most of the above happen to be from Mexico/Central America----------if 85% of the illegals were from Sweden I would feel exactly the same way I do now.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:14 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'Greaser' these days also refers to someone who runs his car/truck on used cooking grease.......there is a auto repair shop near me that uses that word as part of its name.
:
I'll never forget the cold feeling that swept over me one evening 36 years ago. On my first car trip east, I had stopped for the night in the isolated West Texas town of Fort Stockton. Never been in the South before. Was it true what I'd heard? How would they react to a young white 'outsider' with a native-American wife and 3 'mixed' kiddies?

Going into a laundromat, a sign on the far wall got my attention "THIS SECTION for GREASERS ONLY". Ther was no mistake..the letters were a foot tall.

A few moments later, overhearing some of the local 'chatter', it dawned on me that the local oil field workers sometimes got EXTREMELY filthy at work, and that their 'boiler-suits' could foul the washing machines, and that for that reason, the laundromat management had requested they confine their washing to the group of washers along the back wall only.

Guess you might say I had been 'prejudiced against prejudice', at least at that point..

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sounds like a great idea, and my best wishes go out to Australia in its new, somewhat belated notion of embracing multiculturalism. Now, if you can find a way to make sure that ALL of your new arrivals, no matter what their background or heritage, are as determined to give Australia a "fair go", as she's extended to them, then your future looks promising indeed.

The best to all of you....

I'm not sure where you got the idea that multiculturalism is a belated notion here, there are so many different cultures woven into the fabric of the country we are today and it's been that way since the beginning.

As to making sure ALL new arrivals come here with the intention of embracing this country and its culture and lifestyle, well I don't know any country that can manage that. It depends entirely on the individual.

Certainly the recent change in government here looks very promising in terms of righting the wrongs of their predecessors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration