U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:08 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,854,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I think that Mecha's goals are pretty racist as well, and I definitely do not support them. However, just as only a tiny percentage of Anglo-Americans support the KKK, only a tiny percentage of Mexican-Americans support the reconquista.

One of my principal probloems with the teachings of Mecha is that Mexican-Americans are an indigenous people more entitled to the land than others that are there now. This bothers me because although most Mexican-Americans are mixed with indigenous blood, they are nonetheless mostly of European descent and yet many do not recognize this! Some of their ancestors "invaded" the Native Americans' land as well. Contrast this to actual Mexicans from Mexico, who are proud of their European roots and stress them even if they are 75% indigenous and 25% European. I can't stress enough that the small faction of Mexican-Americans who espouse radical beliefs like the ones you stated are just NOT representative of Mexicans, LET ALONE good representatives of Hispanics or Latinos in the US as a whole.
There are over 300 M.E.C.h.A. chapters in the U.S. on high school and college campuses. I know that the membership in my smaller four year institution is well over 100 members and I am in Wyoming for crying out loud! I'm sure that the southwestern institutions boast memberships that far exceed our paltry numbers. Even if all chapters had memberships of 100 students, these are 300,000 young minds being molded and formed in the belief that they alone are indigneous to this country and that it is their responsibility to return this land to the "Chicano". They will also raise their children to believe the same sort of nonsense. I would hardly call that a small minority.

Also, a recent Zogby poll shows that 58% of Mexicans believe that the southwestern U.S. actually belongs to Mexico and that they have free reign to come and go across U.S. borders as they please.

While I have a good many Mexican American friends who do not agree with the mentality or the ideology of reconquista, the fact remains that there are many persons of Mexican descent who do.

Saying that this is not the case simply doesn't make it so. The reconquista mindset is the big white elephant in the room. Everybody knows its there, but they all choose to ignore it. I'm here to tell you that the elephant is bound to break some furniture sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,491,156 times
My rebuttal to that is simply that in many college campuses, Mecha is the Mexican-American student group, and many students join it just to be part of a Mexican-American group and not to embrace left-field goals that are supported by few people. In other words, I do not think that most "members" of Mecha actually subscribe to the extremest beliefs. A couple of my friends from out west who are now in law school in NYC with me used to be involved in their college Mecha groups. However, they do not believe in the "reconquista" nor do they believe in the radical "La Raza" stuff - their reason for joining Mecha was because it was the Mexican-American student group on campus.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:55 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,854,627 times
Would you join the KKK student group on campus just to be a part of a "white-American" group, knowing the radical beliefs they subscribe to--because it was THE group to belong to on campus? Of course not--no right thinking person would.

Subsequently, why would any right thinking person of Mexican descent join M.E.C.h.A, whose racist, reconquista ideology is not only spelled out in their manifesto, but plastered across their website for all to see? Who becomes a part of a group whose very foundational beliefs actually differ so greatly from their own?

If you answered "no one" you're likely to be correct.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,491,156 times
As a European-American who is of Hispanic descent, I would never join either KKK or Mecha because I know their ideas are racist and hateful. However, when Mecha puts itself out there as a Mexican-American student group, many Mexican-Americans will join it to be part of it. I am NOT condoning their choice to do so and I agree that they should consider Mecha's goals before become part of the organization. However, many people (including many Mexican-Americans themselves!) do not understand what Mecha's goals are; if they did understand them, maybe Mecha would be banned from more college campuses. I have known people who have participated in Mecha and still haven't known of that the organization's goals are extreme! They thought that the extremist views belonged to a few odballs in the organization and not to the organization itself.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 PM

7,678 posts, read 8,466,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
I think it will be a reaility in our lifetime,
Maybe, maybe not.

People tend forget that there are 200 million guns in this country, thats a hell of alot of firepower and im not about to let a quarter of my country get taken over and become a Mexican puppet state. Like Kele said, when that elephant starts breaking things (and it WILL) there will be more then a few of my fellow citizens willing to head down there.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:36 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,419,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

People tend forget that there are 200 million guns in this country, thats a hell of alot of firepower and im not about to let a quarter of my country get taken over and become a Mexican puppet state. Like Kele said, when that elephant starts breaking things (and it WILL) there will be more then a few of my fellow citizens willing to head down there.
In all fairness; between the shrinking economy and the growing anti illegal immigrant sentiment (both in the eyes of the law as well as public sentiment)--------our elephant my wind up being a pigmy in an arena.

Here in the Phx area; illegal immigrants, most of whom happen to be spanish speaking Mestizo Hispanics are definitely thinning out. Business after business that caters to that clientele are going under-------I am seeing it with my own eyes here.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:07 PM

7,678 posts, read 8,466,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness; between the shrinking economy and the growing anti illegal immigrant sentiment (both in the eyes of the law as well as public sentiment)--------our elephant my wind up being a pigmy in an arena.

Here in the Phx area; illegal immigrants, most of whom happen to be spanish speaking Mestizo Hispanics are definitely thinning out. Business after business that caters to that clientele are going under-------I am seeing it with my own eyes here.
I sure hope your right.

But it could also backfire and make the radicals become even more radical in their desire for the "Aztlan dream".

Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,419,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I sure hope your right.

But it could also backfire and make the radicals become even more radical in their desire for the "Aztlan dream".
It would be suicide for a few hard core 'MEChA' types to go against Americans.

And; such a boneheaded move may wind up in the dismantling of Mexico as well----------if Mx was the 'smoking gun'. As it stands: Nuevo Leon may pull a 'Texas Republic 1836' and secede then petition to join the USA.

Remember too that Mx's birthrate is barely above replacement level as it is..........

Old 05-25-2008, 03:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,113,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
My rebuttal to that is simply that in many college campuses, Mecha is the Mexican-American student group, and many students join it just to be part of a Mexican-American group and not to embrace left-field goals that are supported by few people. In other words, I do not think that most "members" of Mecha actually subscribe to the extremest beliefs. A couple of my friends from out west who are now in law school in NYC with me used to be involved in their college Mecha groups. However, they do not believe in the "reconquista" nor do they believe in the radical "La Raza" stuff - their reason for joining Mecha was because it was the Mexican-American student group on campus.
I agree with crisp. The only time I ever saw anyone joining groups like MecHA was because they were intrigued by a Mexican-American group when Mexican-Americans are so underrepresented, and we're not used to seeing anything directed towards us in a supportive way.
A lot of people enjoyed hearing good stuff about our race when we usually just hear about how we're criminals or illegals or gangbangers or unintelligent or dirty.
But in turn, a lot of people got turned off by the radical views of the group, so Mecha never got really popular as it was in say the 60s and 70s during the Chicano movement when very radical ideas had a place.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:19 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,113,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Would you join the KKK student group on campus just to be a part of a "white-American" group, knowing the radical beliefs they subscribe to--because it was THE group to belong to on campus? Of course not--no right thinking person would.

Subsequently, why would any right thinking person of Mexican descent join M.E.C.h.A, whose racist, reconquista ideology is not only spelled out in their manifesto, but plastered across their website for all to see? Who becomes a part of a group whose very foundational beliefs actually differ so greatly from their own?

If you answered "no one" you're likely to be correct.
Whats racist in the "manifesto"? Can you point that out for me?

Stop comparing the KKK to minority organizations, please. Different reasons for formation, and different causes. You anglos are getting a little too comfortable with that comparison there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration