Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't worry NEARLY as much about whether we can "trust" those Gomez and Hernandez people, as I do about SOME people right here in our midst who have "normal" names, yet are intensely loyal to a country that once tried its best to destroy us. Some of these folks still feel loyal to that 'evil empire', and display its flag...the flag of an enemy nation.

It's called the "Confederate flag", and it represents a DIRECT threat to the USA, far more than any soldier named "Rodriguez", or even "Schmidt", or "DiCarlo", or "Nakamura", and the rest of those "funny" type names....names of people who MIGHT not be totally "on our side", if you get my drift.

I say, the USA is a land of peace, understanding, non-violence, and tolerance, and anyone who says otherwise should get his BUTT kicked.
Show me where the confedercy wanted to destroy the US. Will give you a dollar for that info!

I gues all those native american tribes need to stop displying their symbols also?

Also, you say the USA is non-violent, a land of peace and tolerant? Considering we have a violent crime rate, 2 million prisoners, the most deployed troops in the world, history of slavery, segregation laws that were only receded a few decades ago...I really wouldn't call us that.

Plus, ask the native americans just how peacfully we expanded our country.

Get an education and a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Show me where the confedercy wanted to destroy the US. Will give you a dollar for that info!

I gues all those native american tribes need to stop displying their symbols also?

Also, you say the USA is non-violent, a land of peace and tolerant? Considering we have a violent crime rate, 2 million prisoners, the most deployed troops in the world, history of slavery, segregation laws that were only receded a few decades ago...I really wouldn't call us that.

NOTE: macmeal has a very strong sarcastic streak-----and, owns up to it in his posts.

His wife; BTW, is American Indian (who would have been a Mexican prior to 1848) so macmeal would not exactly be a poster child for the KKK, etc.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Lets get back on topic...don't let dingleberry's or is it (huckleberry) posts get you off course.

I'm all you a mandatory military. The bonus is that we can make some of these lazy- hand everything to me - kids gain some work ethic and pride.

I know that we are going to have some people whine and complain....but they do that now. So what is the difference? That their poor and spoiled little Johnny has to go serve two years on the United States border

Old 06-08-2008, 10:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

Sorry, but I STILL say the US is a land of "peace, understanding, non-violence, and tolerance". Even your post won't change my mind.

PS It's ALSO a land of personal freedom, and I'll "Get an Education" when I darn well FEEL like it.....not when someone TELLS me to....

Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Lets get back on topic...don't let dingleberry's or is it (huckleberry) posts get you off course.

I'm all you a mandatory military. The bonus is that we can make some of these lazy- hand everything to me - kids gain some work ethic and pride.

I know that we are going to have some people whine and complain....but they do that now. So what is the difference? That their poor and spoiled little Johnny has to go serve two years on the United States border
Remember that back in "my day", we had the miltary draft. It would be a VERY 'hard sell' to bring back anything like that...even for NON-combat purposes as you suggest. As I said before, I think your idea makes sense, and in fact, is one of the "gentler" ways we MAY end up having to 'deal' with our future here....but, though to ME it's sensible, I can guarantee you there'd be an ENORMOUS outcry against "forcing" people into any kind of mandatory "duties" (try and get MOST people to even show up for JURY duty !)...and the good ol' ACLU would be coming at you with their top attorneys.

Good idea, ibarrio, and good intentions...but I don't think it will 'fly" just yet, until some sort of national crisis makes your plan an absolute necessity. At THAT point, we'll be lucky if we can avoid 'martial law', and YOUR plan will then seem perfectly reasonable by comparison. Hope we can go with YOUR plan, rather than some sort of 'emergency' relinquishing of ALL our Civil Rights in the "interests of national security"....

Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,425 times
Quote:
i Hear A Ton Of Talk About Securing And Militarizing Our Borders.

This Is Not A Viable Option At This Time. Our Troops Are Committed In Two Wars And We Have An Impending War With Iran In The Future. It Is Going To Happen... No Use Arguing This Point...we Cannot Withdrawal Our Troops And Stick Them On Our Borders...

My Brother Just Returned From Iraq And If I Was 18 I Would Have Served On What I'm About To Suggest. No Questions Asked...my Family Has A Strong Military And Police Background.

So The Question Is, How Do We Militarize Our Borders?

I Have One Suggestions (might Not Be Popular). We Need To Go The Route Of Israel. All 18 Year Old Male And Female Citizens Must Serve In A Homeland Securities Force. They Get Army Training, Go To Basic And So On. Since They Are Not Regular Armed Forces They Do Not Have To Serve In Foreign Wars Unless They Specifically Sign Up For A Regular Branch Of The Armed Forces.

If They Refuse Service They Lose Rights.

The Right To Vote.

The Right To Work In Government (from Local To National..no Police, No Fire, No Courts, Etc.).

The Right To Receive Any Security Clearance.

The Right To Work In Any Company That Has A Government Contract.

The Right To Attend Or Work In Any Public College On University. Yeah, They Can Go To Private And Work In Private Colleges And Universities.

The Right To Teach In Any Public Schools. They Can Teach In Private Schools.

I Think Only Physical And Mental Exemptions Should Be Allowed. No Religious Exemptions! If You Have The Right To Practice Any Religion Then You Have The Obligation To Defend Such Right...

So Post Your Comments. Add Your Suggestions. Keep In Mind That It Should Be Common Sense That Out Regular Troops Are Not Going To Be Pulled And Put On Our Borders.
There Is No Way We American Citizens Can Expect To Close Or Keep Closed Our Borders! As I Have States Several Times In Other Threads. Look At Sites.... North American Super Highway, North American Security Agreement + Many Others.....our Own Government Officials ,both Local ,state And Federal Are Planing To Open The Boarders With Mexica And Canada ( Just Open The Flood Gates) What A Smoke Screen They Have Made To Keep Us Busywhile They Do Their Business As Usual!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM

219 posts, read 425,265 times
I think it would be a great idea to get all these kids off their butt and help defend our borders. Can you imagine all the crying we would hear from all the mommies and daddies that would be afraid something that would happen to their baby? It would never fly.
My 7th grade daughter proposed a bill in her history class to give the border patrol more incentives to attract more people to come and work for them. Even in her 7th grade class it got shot down. Her fellow classmates saw nothing wrong with the illegals being here, I am sure they were just repeating what they heard at home.
I wish I could go down there and work at border patrol, it would be soooooo hard with little ones at home. I hope they still need people when my kids go to college.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
Even in her 7th grade class it got shot down. Her fellow classmates saw nothing wrong with the illegals being here, I am sure they were just repeating what they heard at home.
I wouldn't expect most 7th graders to see anything wrong with illegal immigration. Most 7th graders don't understand the issues and consequences involved. That's one of the main reasons people aren't considered adults and can't vote until they're 18. The majority of adolescents don't work to support themselves and their families, pay taxes and insurance premiums, etc., so they don't truly understand the issues involved with things such as illegal immigration, beyond what their parents tell them. It's great that your daughter understands what's going on, but I certainly wouldn't expect that to be the norm in a 7th grade class. I find it interesting that you expect 12- and 13-year-olds to understand or care about the implications of illegal immigration. I certainly didn't when I was that age.

In fact, I honestly didn't care (or even notice it all that much) until I moved to the southwest when I was 23. I had just graduated college and started supporting myself in a new place that had an abundance of illegal Mexicans. Before then, I didn't really notice or care about the illegal immigration problem in the US, and I never heard any of my friends talking about it, so I know I wasn't in the minority. To be honest, that's when I started paying attention to other issues, too, such as taxes, health care costs, and politics in general.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:47 PM

219 posts, read 425,265 times
It's never too early to learn about your world. I don't expect anything from them I am not their teacher. What I do expect is people to try to learn rather than just take what they hear as the truth. I expect that at any age. The kids in her class aren't just your regular public school children either, these are intelligent kids with higher than normal IQ's in a private school. I do expect more from them. There is nothing wrong with expecting more from our children, what is sad is when you underestimate what they are capable of learning and knowing!
I cant' say that I really cared about it back when I was younger either. I don't think it was such a big issue as it is today. But kids today are different, they are more aware and that is ok. These are the people that have to deal with it later and they are also the people that will be leading our country in the future and the more they know the better prepared they are for the future.
This was just a class project on the legislative process. I was just hoping that more kids would have researched it and got more involved, that's all.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:27 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
This is not a viable option at this time. Our troops are committed in two Wars and we have an impending war with Iran in the future. It is going to happen... No use arguing this point...we cannot withdrawal our troops and stick them on our borders...

This is a scary school of thought in our society. We can send our troops thousands of miles away and try to keep some on hand to deal with a country who isn't bothering anyone except maybe the people (Israel) who want to see them wiped off the face of the Earth, but using our military on our soil to defend our borders and way of life is out of the question and not feasable. We need to take a step back and think about our real priorities here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration