U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen?
He/they should be deported after his graduation 41 58.57%
He/they should be given amnesty due to his academic achievements and skills 17 24.29%
He/they should be granted asylum due to the hardship they may face back in Armenia 3 4.29%
A "private bill" should be passed, allowing them to stay 2 2.86%
Other 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:29 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Valedictorian's academic plans threatened by deportation - CNN.com

What do you think? Should he and his family be deported ten days after his graduation, as is ICE's current plan? Should he/they be given amnesty due to his accomplishments and skills? Should he/they be granted asylum due to the possible trouble they could face in Armenia, if forced to move back? Should Dianne Feinstein attempt to pass a "private bill" to allow his family to stay in the US? Do you think that the student should be allowed to stay in the US, since this is where he grew up and is the only country he's ever known, but that his parents should be deported back to Armenia? Are there any other scenarios you think would be appropriate?

I obviously welcome any comments, whether positive or negative. I'd like to see what people think about this particular case, since it's not your typical illegal alien situation. The kid is not Hispanic, he is well educated and he has academic and employable skills, he is obviously a hard worker, he only speaks English, and he is here because of his parents' bad decision to overstay their visas, not through any fault of his own. I'm not condoning or condemning him or the actions of his family. I'd just like to get a public opinion on this specific case.

I'm new to city-data, and I don't yet know all "the regulars'" stances on illegal immigration. So, please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

Being clever doesn't make your crimes any better.

This kid could be a real asset to his own country. Brain drain is one reason there is so much instability in the world, as we siphon off the smart ones and leave the dumb ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Immigration should be about a true desire to be an American, about loving this country and breaking it's laws does not indicate any love or respect.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Being clever doesn't make your crimes any better.

This kid could be a real asset to his own country. Brain drain is one reason there is so much instability in the world, as we siphon off the smart ones and leave the dumb ones.
In all fairness; many of the smart people come here legally as well.

Likes attract likes---------people with First World values (of any race/ethnicity) prefer to live in like minded societies unlike Third World/ghetto countries.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:09 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,188,736 times
Quote:
Immigration should be about a true desire to be an American, about loving this country and breaking it's laws does not indicate any love or respect.
Yes it should be about that. Illegal aliens do not want any part of that. They want to come here illegally-not play by the rules and sit it out until the next amnesty is granted. Cut in line in front of all those who have come here legally and done it the right way. Just to get all their freebies off of the back of hard working Americans and legal immigrants and to celebrate their culture here while sending billions of dollars back "home". Being an American is the last thing that illegals want.

Nicolem

Old 06-08-2008, 01:52 PM

384 posts, read 1,578,283 times
My question is this,
Why are we so inviting and more tolerant to the Cubans coming here and living the American dream but not so tolerant of other countries wanting the same priviliges as the Cubans? Shouldn't the law apply to ALL and not a select few?

Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,664,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Yes it should be about that. Illegal aliens do not want any part of that. They want to come here illegally-not play by the rules and sit it out until the next amnesty is granted. Cut in line in front of all those who have come here legally and done it the right way. Just to get all their freebies off of the back of hard working Americans and legal immigrants and to celebrate their culture here while sending billions of dollars back "home". Being an American is the last thing that illegals want.

Nicolem
I saw a news clip a few yrs ago where INS had bussed some illegals back over the border to Mexico. The illegals were seen laughing as they thought being returned to Mexico was a joke because they knew they would attempt to cross back over again illegally. Until we step up enforcement we will get little respect from illegal immigrants.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,719,093 times
He should be returned to his home country. One of the many reasons Third World countries never seem to get it together is the 'brain drain'- anyone who is smart and well educated leaves for a First World country. He is obviously bright and on the ball, his home country needs him far more than we do.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
He should be returned to his home country. One of the many reasons Third World countries never seem to get it together is the 'brain drain'- anyone who is smart and well educated leaves for a First World country. He is obviously bright and on the ball, his home country needs him far more than we do.
And if he later decides he truly wishes to be an American citizen, then he can apply for legal immigration, just like so many before him have.

He can go through the legal process. Rewarding criminal behavior only makes for more of it.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,027,618 times
Quote:
And if he later decides he truly wishes to be an American citizen, then he can apply for legal immigration, just like so many before him have.

He can go through the legal process. Rewarding criminal behavior only makes for more of it.
What is it? A misdemeanor? A felony? I dont believe it's any of those unless they have a prior removal. If it WERE a crime, then they would be entitled to representation (they aren't in many parts of the process) and due process (also missing). I get this information from some CLE's I've attended. Very superficial CLE's that don't provide too much detail except that it appears that immigration is a civil judicial process, not criminal.

If they were removed/deported and returned before they were permitted I understand it's a felony...

Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,505,633 times
IMO, the parents should be fined the cost of his education and then all three deported.

His academic abilitys has nothing to do with the case. He is illegal and should be deported.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration