Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen?
He/they should be deported after his graduation 41 58.57%
He/they should be given amnesty due to his academic achievements and skills 17 24.29%
He/they should be granted asylum due to the hardship they may face back in Armenia 3 4.29%
A "private bill" should be passed, allowing them to stay 2 2.86%
Other 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,441 times

Advertisements

He should stay. He needs to apply his education to contribute to this society. For the same reasons that we allow the intellectual elite of other countries allowances to stay in this country. His parents should not receive legal papers UNLESS they prove a case justifying asylum. Otherwise, their case should be the same as any relative of a legal resident.

Perhaps new laws can be implemented taxing those undocumented who receive education at a higher rate than legals. But if he shows an intellectual acumen, he has a debt he can and should repay to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 11:52 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Valedictorian's academic plans threatened by deportation - CNN.com

What do you think? Should he and his family be deported ten days after his graduation, as is ICE's current plan? Should he/they be given amnesty due to his accomplishments and skills? Should he/they be granted asylum due to the possible trouble they could face in Armenia, if forced to move back? Should Dianne Feinstein attempt to pass a "private bill" to allow his family to stay in the US? Do you think that the student should be allowed to stay in the US, since this is where he grew up and is the only country he's ever known, but that his parents should be deported back to Armenia? Are there any other scenarios you think would be appropriate?

I obviously welcome any comments, whether positive or negative. I'd like to see what people think about this particular case, since it's not your typical illegal alien situation. The kid is not Hispanic, he is well educated and he has academic and employable skills, he is obviously a hard worker, he only speaks English, and he is here because of his parents' bad decision to overstay their visas, not through any fault of his own. I'm not condoning or condemning him or the actions of his family. I'd just like to get a public opinion on this specific case.

I'm new to city-data, and I don't yet know all "the regulars'" stances on illegal immigration. So, please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.
So I have to ask what you meant by this statement?

If the kid were Mexican would you be lobbying for his amnesty? I can only assume NO by that statement.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Honestly, i cant really decide on this one. His parents did come legally but the decision to overstay their visa for that extended period shows a lack of respect for the law on the parents part. It is a shame that this kid did everything right only to have everything nullified by his illegal status.

One thing i will say, the kid is the ONLY one who should have ANY chance to stay b/c of his hard work. His parents should no doubt be deported.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
His “free” education is the result of our government’s decision to educate ALL children residing in this country, regardless of immigration status. It is the same reason we have children commuting daily from Mexico to attend our schools. Yes, it is a HUGE expense for U.S. taxpayers, but then so are countless other “obligations” such as the Iraq war. Unfortunately, we do not always reap the benefit of our tax dollars, and the millions of illegal alien children currently benefiting from a free K-12 education is a prime example of this. I haven’t researched the subject, but I doubt seriously if other countries are so generous. We also provide “free” medical treatment to illegal aliens, but I don’t hear any illegal alien apologists strategizing to “recoup” those funds.

This is essentially the premise for the DREAM Act. The proponents contend that we should not punish the children for the actions of their parents. They also argue that we should grant these ‘children’ a path to citizenship. After all, they have attended our schools; have graduated; are fluent in English; ‘could’ be contributing members of our society, etc. However, if we ‘excuse’ the children, what message are we sending to others contemplating ignoring our laws? Why wouldn’t other parents overstay visas if they knew their children would eventually be granted citizenship?

Unfortunately, children often suffer for the criminal behavior of parents. It may not be ‘fair’ but then life is often unfair. Many drug dealers also have children. These children live in homes that are confiscated, and forfeit the lifestyle they have grown accustomed to. Should we ‘spare’ the children by permitting the drug dealers to retain their ill-gotten possessions? Should we not incarcerate the parents, lest the children suffer? It’s sad, but when parents willfully ignore our laws, their children often suffer the consequences.

If we permit illegal alien children to remain in this country simply by virtue of having received a “free” education, we are only encouraging more illegal immigration. I liken it to the “anchor baby” concept. We have millions of women entering this country on the verge of giving birth, simply because they know the children will be considered U.S. citizens. As long as we have these ‘magnets’ we will never end illegal immigration.

Furthermore, if we ‘reward’ the criminal actions of parents by granting a “path to citizenship” to their children; they will ultimately be in a position to be sponsored by their children. They probably won’t even have to leave the country. Amnesty......Not a bad deal.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,745,787 times
That is why the dream act should be passed ASAP.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:53 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
it's one of those cases that if you give an inch, they will take a mile. his accomplishments don't have anything to do with his family. I think that he should be deported but allowed to come back as part of a study abroad program. in those 4 years of school, he can take legal steps towards citizenship for himself and his family.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That is why the dream act should be passed ASAP.
Yes, of course we should ‘reward’ the children (and their parents/relatives) for circumventing our laws. Anything less would simply be stupid, mean-spirited, and racist. We should even establish tax-funded scholarships for these ‘deserving’ children. While we’re at it, let’s have a free-for-all…..let’s open our prisons and release all inmates incarcerated for non-violent crimes, or crimes committed due to “hardship.” I’m sure quite a few bank robbers would qualify. Why do we need laws anyway, if they can be broken with impunity?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:04 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,890,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
At the expense of the American education system? Shouldn't we try to recoup our investment here?
I agree. I want payback for educating him with my taxes. Let him pump back into the economy what was invested in him.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So I have to ask what you meant by this statement?

If the kid were Mexican would you be lobbying for his amnesty? I can only assume NO by that statement.
I don't typically "lobby" for any illegal immigrant's amnesty, just like I'm not lobbying for this guy's. If you'd care to look at the results of the poll, I've voted for deportation.

And if you'd read my ENTIRE statement, and not just the portion you've underlined, I think it'd be pretty clear that I was simply pointing out the dissimilarities between this kid and the typical illegal immigrant in this country, so that people, before giving blanket illegal immigration answers, would take those differences into consideration.

Last edited by Politico; 06-08-2008 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I agree. I want payback for educating him with my taxes. Let him pump back into the economy what was invested in him.
I would also like to recoup the billions in tax dollars expended to educate illegal alien children. However, what happens if we permit him to stay, grant him citizenship, and he drops out of college in his junior year due to a family hardship or other situation beyond his control? He never earns a degree, and is forced to work for minimum wage. In addition, he fathers a couple of kids we are now “obligated” to educate. We would never recoup our taxes. Unfortunately, there simply is no guarantee our country would ever benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration