U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should happen?
He/they should be deported after his graduation 41 58.57%
He/they should be given amnesty due to his academic achievements and skills 17 24.29%
He/they should be granted asylum due to the hardship they may face back in Armenia 3 4.29%
A "private bill" should be passed, allowing them to stay 2 2.86%
Other 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:49 PM

1,965 posts, read 2,374,645 times

Advertisements

Valedictorian's academic plans threatened by deportation - CNN.com

What do you think? Should he and his family be deported ten days after his graduation, as is ICE's current plan? Should he/they be given amnesty due to his accomplishments and skills? Should he/they be granted asylum due to the possible trouble they could face in Armenia, if forced to move back? Should Dianne Feinstein attempt to pass a "private bill" to allow his family to stay in the US? Do you think that the student should be allowed to stay in the US, since this is where he grew up and is the only country he's ever known, but that his parents should be deported back to Armenia? Are there any other scenarios you think would be appropriate?

I obviously welcome any comments, whether positive or negative. I'd like to see what people think about this particular case, since it's not your typical illegal alien situation. The kid is not Hispanic, he is well educated and he has academic and employable skills, he is obviously a hard worker, he only speaks English, and he is here because of his parents' bad decision to overstay their visas, not through any fault of his own. I'm not condoning or condemning him or the actions of his family. I'd just like to get a public opinion on this specific case.

I'm new to city-data, and I don't yet know all "the regulars'" stances on illegal immigration. So, please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed.

Last edited by Politico; 06-07-2008 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add one of the possible scenarios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:58 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,282,395 times
This almost happened to a Polish friend of mine my senior year of high school. She had lived in the United States since she was 4, spoke little Polish and hadn't been to Poland to visit in years. We got our local Congresswoman involved in the situation (she couldn't be accepted to college because she was "illegal") and thankfully it was resolved - she was given amnesty. Can you imagine how traumatic it would be for an American young person like her to be deported to a country she didn't even know?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This almost happened to a Polish friend of mine my senior year of high school. She had lived in the United States since she was 4, spoke little Polish and hadn't been to Poland to visit in years. We got our local Congresswoman involved in the situation (she couldn't be accepted to college because she was "illegal") and thankfully it was resolved - she was given amnesty. Can you imagine how traumatic it would be for an American young person like her to be deported to a country she didn't even know?
What about the parents? What do you think should happen to them? Should they be allowed to stay here, too? Or do you think it's appropriate for the parents to be deported since they grew up in Armenia, and know the language, etc?

I guess I should've made that a poll question -- Do you think the student should be able to stay, but that his parents should be deported?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,507 times
I think they should ALL be deported. They're ALL illegal aliens.

"Congratulations on the fine, FREE education, kid. Now go put it to work in your OWN country."

And please don't start with the "Poor kid doesn't know anywhere else." BS, children of lawbreakers pay for the 'sins of the fathers' ALL the time.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,035,380 times
It would be an economic waste to have the American public school system educate someone to such a high degree, then throw that person out, thereby extinguishing the investment. Let's be honest here. That's just plumb stupid, and whoever decided to make this case a deportation priority is equally dumb.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
and whoever decided to make this case a deportation priority is equally dumb.
I was thinking the same thing. When there are MILLIONS of uneducated, unproductive (unproductive, not unreproductive) illegal immigrants in this country (and it's not too difficult to locate many of them without even doing much searching), why is ICE intent on deporting one of the them who's actually accomplishing something, who may yield a return investment on the education he has received here, and ignoring a lot of the illegal aliens who are a drain on the system in more ways than just receiving a free education? I mean, it's one thing if ICE were deporting every single illegal immigrant next month. But they're not...so why this guy, who actually may do some good? Just askin...

Last edited by Politico; 06-07-2008 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 PM

402 posts, read 938,845 times
That is a touching story, but illegal is illegal. They came here on a legal visa but they didn't keep it legal. They should have been concerned enough to make sure things were done right. Now it may be too late.

Edited to add that I did not vote.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

"Congratulations on the fine, FREE education, kid. Now go put it to work in your OWN country."

And please don't start with the "Poor kid doesn't know anywhere else." BS, children of lawbreakers pay for the 'sins of the fathers' ALL the time.
So, would your "other" answer be that he should be deported because he's an illegal alien, and all illegal aliens should be deported, no matter where they grew up, what language they speak, what academic/employment achievements and skills they have, etc? I'm not attacking you, I'd just like to clarify your "other" answer, since you chose it instead of the first option of deportation after graduation. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:48 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,035,380 times
Quote:
but illegal is illegal.
But of course, in America, that's not so. Millions of illegal immigrants live in the US. They are not deported. But this kid will be deported? You're supposed to prioritize when your resources are limited. This feels like some sort of reverse triage.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,178,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post

Absolutely!

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration